Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadeot View Post
    It would be great to see Toms take on a clever way to design the insert in such a way that had a cover over it to make it harder for someone to sneak into your pack when it's on and make off with your gear..
    At this point in the design, it probably have an optional Velcro on/off flap covering the top...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

It would also be great if it could hold some of the smaller video cameras.

Slightly off topic:
    If other TB fans could share their experience using the smaller/cheaper camcorders with image stabilization, it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    At this point in the design, it probably have an optional Velcro on/off flap covering the top...
    All this talk about velcro...brings to mind that great old ZZ Top song "Velcro Fly"...which back then I actually had a pair of pants with a velcro fly, yes they were AWESOME comfy, and there was that cool quite "manly" sound when "unzipped"...

Any new details on photo insert?

Darcy,
    Just wondering if you have an ETA for the photo insert yet? Or any new info since the original prototype photo?

Oh, and hope Tom's keeping it simple and not adding the second kitchen sink that we inevitably clamor for. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by waywest View Post
    Darcy,
    Just wondering if you have an ETA for the photo insert yet? Or any new info since the original prototype photo?

Oh, and hope Tom's keeping it simple and not adding the second kitchen sink that we inevitably clamor for. ;-)
    No new news yet - probably still a couple of months away because the Tristar (which is coming along quickly) is next. No kitchen sink, but there's definitely a convection oven.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

No new news yet - probably still a couple of months away because the Tristar (which is coming along quickly) is next...
    Whoo Hoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by KarlJ View Post
    Whoo Hoo!!
    I second that!

jdc

Cafe bag in small, smaller, smallest size

Darcy, I have not posted in a few years. But when I last logged in I requested information about a cafe bag that would be smaller than the smallest you now offer. Have the folks at Tom Bihn, or Tom himself, made any progress on such a product? On another note, the Swift bag is the best carry-on I have ever used. Last fall I visited grandkids and family in the UK. I carried along my new MacBook, and some knitting, books, mail, USA candy and quite a few other items in my Swift (known as the granny bag). Fantastic bag! jdc

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Darcy, I have not posted in a few years. But when I last logged in I requested information about a cafe bag that would be smaller than the smallest you now offer. Have the folks at Tom Bihn, or Tom himself, made any progress on such a product? On another note, the Swift bag is the best carry-on I have ever used. Last fall I visited grandkids and family in the UK. I carried along my new MacBook, and some knitting, books, mail, USA candy and quite a few other items in my Swift (known as the granny bag). Fantastic bag! jdc
    It's definitely still on Tom's list, especially since he noticed that I use a Passport Pouch as such a bag sometimes - fits a cell phone, credit card, and keys perfectly. :) A Cafe Bag similar to that size (a little bigger) would be great!

I'm glad to hear that your Swift is serving you well.

jdc

Cicero said it best...

Darcy, Glad to know that there is a small(er) cafe-type bag in the future. In answer to a question you posted (somewhere or other): what do I carry in my bag? Cicero said it best: "Omnia mea, mecum porto" or All that is mine I carry with me [Of course Cicero did not have all the stuff I travel with]. Best, jdc

Volunteer Moderator
    thank you for sharing that quote!

i don't know what cicero meant when he spoke those words, but i find a deeper meaning in them.

when we think: what is really mine? are any possessions in this world really mine?

i certainly get to enjoy their use, i get to share them with others even, while i am here in this world.

but when i leave this world, they cannot go with me. so are they really mine?

all of these things that we find in this world - tom bihn bags, iphones, macbooks, homes, cars, bikes, even our body - these things are not really ours. they won't go with us.

the question arises, then, what will go with me? what is really mine?

just some fun food for thought for your lovely friday afternoon. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Darcy, Glad to know that there is a small(er) cafe-type bag in the future. In answer to a question you posted (somewhere or other): what do I carry in my bag? Cicero said it best: "Omnia mea, mecum porto" or All that is mine I carry with me [Of course Cicero did not have all the stuff I travel with]. Best, jdc

I had a thought about this bag / insert while walking into work this morning carrying my Brain Bag. I'm not sure if it was covered or not but here goes ...

It would be nice if the insert were fully functional on it's own outside it's container bag. For instance, I have used my Brain Bag for personal trips to hold my DSLR but it does feel to be on the large end of personal carry on item. Plus I definitely don't want to carry it around when shopping, hiking, or heading to the beach. What I do like to do is carry a smaller bag with my camera, a lens, and maybe a book, my current favorite now is the Red Oxx Gator. If this new insert had at least some decent handles and looked somewhat presentable like one of the laptop inserts, then maybe it could be used as a day bag when you reach your destination. I'm thinking kind of similar to the packing cube that doubles for a backpack (which I like the idea of but don't like the looks of).

Thumbs up An enthusiastic second to pretzelb's idea

Having just returned from a trip to Scotland where I was lugging around three cameras (one pocket-sized Fuji f30, one larger Canon Powershot G6 modified for infrared photos, and one Fuji s9100 about the size of a small DSLR), may I add a loud second to pretzelb's great idea? I took my trusty ID with me for the plane, because I needed to carry my MacbookAL in its Brain Cell. But the ID was more than I needed for hiking around with just my cameras and map and guidebook, like a complete tourist. What I ended up doing was using a small Timbuk2 that I had, and protecting my two larger cameras in RoadWarrior wraps. It wasn't ideal, however. I would love to have a Bihn camera insert that I could also use separately with a shoulder strap as a walk-around bag. I know Tom is busy with the Tri-Star, but I hope the camera insert is still in the works as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    I had a thought about this bag / insert while walking into work this morning carrying my Brain Bag. I'm not sure if it was covered or not but here goes ...

It would be nice if the insert were fully functional on it's own outside it's container bag. For instance, I have used my Brain Bag for personal trips to hold my DSLR but it does feel to be on the large end of personal carry on item. Plus I definitely don't want to carry it around when shopping, hiking, or heading to the beach. What I do like to do is carry a smaller bag with my camera, a lens, and maybe a book, my current favorite now is the Red Oxx Gator. If this new insert had at least some decent handles and looked somewhat presentable like one of the laptop inserts, then maybe it could be used as a day bag when you reach your destination. I'm thinking kind of similar to the packing cube that doubles for a backpack (which I like the idea of but don't like the looks of).

No new news yet - probably still a couple of months away because the Tristar (which is coming along quickly) is next. No kitchen sink, but there's definitely a convection oven.
    Now that the Land of 10,000 Lakes is beginning to thaw out after what seems like a VERY LONG and cold winter, it would be awesome to be able use the insert(s) as we emerge into the long awaited sunshine! Spring and Summer here offer some fantastic photo opps! No pressure, of course! and, anxiously awaiting Tristar!!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

I've been in the market for a new bag for the past few months. I discovered Tom Bihn late last year while doing online research for good laptop/travel bags. But this is the element that's held me back from buying from any. I really really really want a bag that can handle and protect my laptop and my DSLR (Canon Rebel XT). I (used to (currently am off the road)) spend a lot of time on the road traveling with bands. And my work requires me to have my laptop within arm's reach at any given moment. The amount of travel I do requires me to always have my camera with me. It's extremely hard to incorporate the two in a single, sleek package.

I really fell in love with the Smart Alec bag. But I'm still hesitant to purchase because I'll still need to carry my dedicated camera bag (Lowepro Slingbag) with me.

Long story short - any news or updates on this camera insert? Should this become available I'd buy the bag and the insert immediately.

I still look at the Smart Alec product page about once every 2-3 days...just daring myself to order it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0