Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I carry a moderate amount of camera gear. A D200, 2-4 lenses, and a flash.

A few comments:

I'm generally uncomfortable with the concept of dividers in a bag that don't protect the gear from other items in the bag. This insert is designed to rest on the bottom of a bag, which means the top of a bag is where books, clothing, and other items are stored - all things that rattle around on top of the $$$ gear.

Speaking of which, you'll have to dig through stuff on top to get to camera gear, which offsets the open design of the insert which is meant to make it easy to use.

The pockets are "tall", but not really tall. That means you can put large lenses in, but probably not stack two moderate sized lenses in the same pocket. No one with a 80-200 F2.8 (or longer) is going to use the insert (too small and there's not enough space for the other lenses you take), so I'd make it a bit less tall to fit the mid-range of lenses better. Maybe its hard to gauge from the picture.

It would be nice to use the dynema fabric somehow. Why? It's resistant to knives and tearing...and anyone who travels knows about those bag slashers...

Put some d-rings on the ends of the bag to attach shoulder straps to - it would allow people to use the bag as a small, open shoulder bag for other uses when traveling.

Maybe figure out how to close the top if the insert was to be used on its own (a zipper?) and some side pockets for cards or filters.

Make sure the base is firm so it doesn't sag and also include padding to allow the bag to be put down a bit heavier than normal and protect the gear (remember, camera gear is heavy and gets thrown down all the time to swap lenses, get the shot, etc).

Be sure to offer a dark, unnoticeable color, along with the catchy stuff. When in an iffy location, i dont want to open a black bag only to catch everyone's eyes with a crimson insert full of thousands of dollars of gear.

Finally, it might be nice to make a half width version so that you can put a camera on onside of a bag, along with a single lens, but then put a large bottle of water/book/etc. next to it, without having to put it into the insert. In other words, share the bottom of the bag with other items.

Volunteer Moderator

Any thoughts about a camera bag, as well as inserts?

OK, I know the request has come in before for a Tom Bihn camera bag, and Darcy replied in that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I hear you! All of you may convince Tom to finally design a camera bag (or, more likely, an insert.)
    Not to push things, since there is now an insert in the works, but I was just thinking again of what a nice job Tom could do optimizing the design of an entire camera bag while I was looking at this ThinkTank Photo page that I came upon while searching for airport carryon size limit pictures. (Incidentally, it would be great to have more of these kinds of pictures showing how the Western Flyer, Checkpoint Flyer, and other carryon bags work on planes, if any photographers use these bags.)

Niiiiice to come by and find...thanks!!!

I use the National Geographic Large Camera Canvas Backpack (NG-5737) because there is no TB option. It's actually as close to the feel of a TB bag as I found. It would indeed be great to find a TB bag like that one, only that was sealed and much more water proof'd. For now my bag is treated with Nikwax Cotton & Canvas, still it has a lot of openings that would let 'determined water' inside for a visit.

BTW, cool news on the bag insert. It's a nice start for sure. Combined with the other the right TB bag and a few utility pouches it could work as a carry bag for a casual walk around kinda shoot. Which I am guessing is the idea behind the design?

Darcy: I carry a Sigma 150-500 lens (almost 4lbs) almost everywhere I go when outdoors and I don't see it fitting in the camera insert while mounted to my 40D. I also bring along a Sigma 180mm macro (a bit over 2lbs) too...what is the largest lens you have carried in the insert? What I would really like is a Buzz style bag that allowed a about 3 lenses, a body, a flash and the ability to attach or store inside, a couple pouches for other accessories. Just a full on grab-n-go solution. None of the currently available sling type camera bags are worth a darn, mostly because they got the whoulder strap wrong...it's too narrow at the top so if you have a could heavier lenses in the bag the weight is distributed across a wider area.
    Last edited by grumpy3b; 12-05-2008 at 12:02 AM.

errr....whoulder = shoulder....d'oh!!

:)

Darcy: BTW, from the thread I can see why ya seem like such a 'good' person...you shoot Canon...snickesnicker....none of that Nikonian, ummm, 'stuff' in your bag.... :p

DISCLAIMER: There is nothing wrong with Nikon, Pentax, Oly, Sony or any other brand DSLR's. Comments are intended exclusively to tease those of the Nikonian mindset...just because they are fun to "wind up" a bit...all in good fun!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
    I use the National Geographic Large Camera Canvas Backpack (NG-5737) because there is no TB option. It's actually as close to the feel of a TB bag as I found. It would indeed be great to find a TB bag like that one, only that was sealed and much more water proof'd. For now my bag is treated with Nikwax Cotton & Canvas, still it has a lot of openings that would let 'determined water' inside for a visit.

BTW, cool news on the bag insert. It's a nice start for sure. Combined with the other the right TB bag and a few utility pouches it could work as a carry bag for a casual walk around kinda shoot. Which I am guessing is the idea behind the design?

Darcy: I carry a Sigma 150-500 lens (almost 4lbs) almost everywhere I go when outdoors and I don't see it fitting in the camera insert while mounted to my 40D. I also bring along a Sigma 180mm macro (a bit over 2lbs) too...what is the largest lens you have carried in the insert? What I would really like is a Buzz style bag that allowed a about 3 lenses, a body, a flash and the ability to attach or store inside, a couple pouches for other accessories. Just a full on grab-n-go solution. None of the currently available sling type camera bags are worth a darn, mostly because they got the whoulder strap wrong...it's too narrow at the top so if you have a could heavier lenses in the bag the weight is distributed across a wider area.
    Darcy & Grumpy:

I run around most days with a D90, a couple lens as well as a speedlight (just for fun, of course!). I have an Ego and have managed to fit all of this into the main compartment leaving the front compartment to carry the little necessities of life (keys, chapstick, munchies, etc). This will work for now if I am super careful but it offers little to no protection.

I would like to propose some modular inserts along with perhaps a liner (or not) to which to attach the inserts that could be connected together somehow (velcro?) to customize configuration to fit different bags as needed. They could be sold as a set (say 3 or 4) but additional modulars could be purchased. This way, it makes our bags eco-friendly by expanding their use for different purposes. Can you tell I love my Ego??

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nana8 View Post
    Darcy & Grumpy:

I run around most days with a D90, a couple lens as well as a speedlight (just for fun, of course!). I have an Ego and have managed to fit all of this into the main compartment leaving the front compartment to carry the little necessities of life (keys, chapstick, munchies, etc). This will work for now if I am super careful but it offers little to no protection.

I would like to propose some modular inserts along with perhaps a liner (or not) to which to attach the inserts that could be connected together somehow (velcro?) to customize configuration to fit different bags as needed. They could be sold as a set (say 3 or 4) but additional modulars could be purchased. This way, it makes our bags eco-friendly by expanding their use for different purposes. Can you tell I love my Ego??

Just a thought.
    Yes, a modular system would be really nice as an option for sure. If there was such an animal which could be added inside that theoretical-bag I mentioned, a somewhat larger version of the Buzz with it's wonderful shoulder strap, it would be just great. I have my big National-G backpack for places when I want more of my gear with me...I still would like a simple smaller bag for when i just want to drag along a couple lenses, a flash and a body...with room for an accessory pouch or one of the transparent organizers along the lines of a Snake Charmer for incidentals.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
    Yes, a modular system would be really nice as an option for sure. If there was such an animal which could be added inside that theoretical-bag I mentioned, a somewhat larger version of the Buzz with it's wonderful shoulder strap, it would be just great. I have my big National-G backpack for places when I want more of my gear with me...I still would like a simple smaller bag for when i just want to drag along a couple lenses, a flash and a body...with room for an accessory pouch or one of the transparent organizers along the lines of a Snake Charmer for incidentals.
    I really like the idea of a modular system that could be used in different bags depending on the need of the day. And a Snake charmer! Perfect. Do you suppose if showed up in Seattle and groveled just a tiny bit Tom would see his way clear to come up with this? :)

Hi Darcy, It's good to see that Tom has moved ahead with producing photo equipment inserts for the bags. I traveled around Hong Kong for two weeks with my Buzz bag, loaded with my Leica M8 and a few of my favorite lenses. I discovered that the urethane soda/beer can insulators make great lens holders. Following a successful release of this new insert, perhaps a smaller insert could be devised for those traveling lighter with a smaller bag.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by h2c911sc View Post
    Hi Darcy, It's good to see that Tom has moved ahead with producing photo equipment inserts for the bags. I traveled around Hong Kong for two weeks with my Buzz bag, loaded with my Leica M8 and a few of my favorite lenses. I discovered that the urethane soda/beer can insulators make great lens holders. Following a successful release of this new insert, perhaps a smaller insert could be devised for those traveling lighter with a smaller bag.
    Definitely: if this insert is a success, we'll make other, smaller sizes.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

First of all, let me say that I'm really excited about the insert. I am a long-time Brain Bag (with two Freudian Slips) user and have been looking for ways to have it also carry my camera equipment. Since I now haul around a lot of gear (Nikon D300+grip, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 plus a wide angle and a bunch of smaller primes, flash, tripod, etc.) I have had to give up using my Brain Bag when I want to carry my camera stuff with me. Like grumpy3b, I went the Nat Geo route. I use the medium backpack (NG5162) though and it pretty much fits everything I have except when I want to carry my camera with the big 70-200/2.8 attached.

Now if I may make a suggestion... One of the beauties of the Brain Bag and Freudian Slip combo is the ability to have a single carry-all solution extended travel and a short-term more compact carrying solution for when you get to a venue such as a conference, meeting or quick jaunt to the coffee shop. In carrying on with that principle for photography equipment, I would love to see a camera holster option as an insert. This would be a smaller camera case that could fully envelop a camera with a lens attached (and maybe have space for another smaller lens) like the Think Tank Digital Holsters but also have fittings to secure them to the inside of the bag like the Freudian Slips. It would also be great if they had an expanding bottom and/or were made in different sizes to accommodate up to a Nikon 70-200/2.8. This could be paired up with slimmer inserts that don't go the full width of the bag but can be used to hold two medium size lenses.

Keep up the good work.

Smile Can't wait to see this one!

This sounds intriguing, especially as I sit here trying to figure out how I can take both my regular and my infrared camera with me in five weeks on a trip to Scotland. (I've got an ID, but am now thinking about getting an Aeronaut.) I can't wait to see pictures of the prototype.

looks really cool.

a slot or two for memory cards sewn in would be neat.

i also second that holster idea. something just to have a dslr body with a lens attached that you can slide into a messenger and be able to draw and shoot - with an option of bringing more lenses.

Just wondering if there's been any more sightings of these camera inserts. Not that I bought a new camera or anything... :-)

It would be great to see Toms take on a clever way to design the insert in such a way that had a cover over it to make it harder for someone to sneak into your pack when it's on and make off with your gear..

Maybe some sort of flap design that can tuck out of the way during shooting when you are in and out of the bag, but could fold over and protect the gear area when you are transporting from one place to another.

Just enough to make it take a little longer or noticeable if someone is poking around where they don't belong, or to keep stuff from falling out.

Tom, great job with the highly anticipated insert system. It'll make your existing line of bags into "stealthy" image capturing bags for those of us who want to move about unencumbered carrying just the bare essentials of camera body/lens, maybe one extra lens, and accessories like memory cards and extra batteries.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0