_Q_

backpack for extra-large laptops

Ok... while I'm new to this forum, I've been reading lots of reviews and am definitely interested in one of the current lineup of bags for my current laptop (my main PC). However, I also have something else in mind that will call for a new bag/sleeve design. (I just won't be taking both at once--ouch!)

I'm getting a Dell XPS M2010, junking Vista for Linux and MythTV, and making that machine my HDTV/DVR/Blu-Ray watching machine/MP3 archive. While I won't be taking it places with me every day or anything (between the fact that it's 18.3 lbs and the fact that it'll be home recording TV shows a good bit of the time)... there will be some times when I do want to take it along (and won't have TV programs for it to be recording!).

[If you're wondering why this machine over something else, 1) my living space is extremely limited at the moment and 2) the combination of screen size and storage space.] Timing is still somewhat TBD, though my goal is to have it for the new TV season this fall.

The only carrying options I've seen so far are a wheeled luggage bag and a trolley backpack--both no-name--and a shoulder bag by a small company I haven't seen reviewed--and I've done plenty of looking!--and only discovered by a Google search. None of those 3 designs seem viable for my situation. I walk and use public transit most of the time (no car at the moment!--plus I avoid the traffic/parking nightmares of the DC area), making a wheeled case--or the wheels of the trolley backpack--less than practical. If I'm buying something with a "hybrid" design, I want it to truly deliver. And to carry something this big, I definitely want to have it on both shoulders. Plus, given how often laptops can be stolen, it should be a bag that doesn't shout "laptop!"--not that I'd be leaving this one alone anyway.

Here's what I'd like to see: either a backpack or Aeronaut-variant--and sleeve!--that can accommodate the M2010 (or its equivalents from HP or other companies) and some limited accessories--including either an AC adapter or spare battery--in my case, whichever is lighter. FWIW, the M2010 is 18.5"x15.9"x2.9"--so I don't think it'll quite fit in the current Aeronaut. And if need be, make the new design compatible with the Q-AM Shoulder Strap for added support.

While I agree that the market for this size laptop is limited, most of the people buying them will want quality accessories to go with them. So unless someone is buying one that will never leave the house/office, this is something they'll need for it. And with no other name-brand carrying options, as Honda puts it on TV, Mr. Opportunity's knocking.

Oh--put this out and I'll be happy to review it and help generate the buzz.
    Last edited by _Q_; 07-01-2008 at 08:13 PM.

If it won't fit in a Brain Bag,I want no part of it myself.

That is one crazy computer.

I would certainly consider something a little less,well everything and look at the 17" Macbook Pro which has an enormous screen but is thin and light and best of all not Windows unless you want it to be.

Good Luck
    Ed

_Q_
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    If it won't fit in a Brain Bag,I want no part of it myself.

That is one crazy computer.

I would certainly consider something a little less,well everything and look at the 17" Macbook Pro which has an enormous screen but is thin and light and best of all not Windows unless you want it to be.

Good Luck
    Ed
    Thanks... not quite a fit for what I'm looking for, though.

I was rereading reviews of the Aeronaut and was wondering it it might work after all for the M2010 (my initial reaction had been "it won't quite fit!"). It occurred to me, though, that the M2010 probably will fit if kept at a bit an angle, with one of the end compartments open.

So then all it needs is something like a Brain Cell (albeit a touch larger than the current ones) that can also help maintain that angle inside the Aeronaut. That may be the best available solution for this situation.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0