One size fit all

I love the Brain Cells, but is there any thought to making a brain cell that'll fit more than one size laptop?
    Happy owner of (2) brain bags, (1) super ego, (1) ruck's sac, (3) freudian slips, (3) brain cells, (2) snake charmers, (1) soft cell and assorted organizer pouches, straps and packing cubes

I am confused by your question?

Why not make laptops that will fit in one Brain Cell?

Well,...I own brain cells for an IBM T41, a Dell E1405 and a Dell1720, but I usually only travel with one laptop. I would still own two though because I do travel with two laptops several times a year.

I bought the smaller ones before the large ones and when you add it all up, they all add up to quite a bit of money. This is great for TB sales & I am not complaining about the money I spent because I think the brain cells are a great product. But,...if there was an option to buy a brain cell that fits many sizes, I would probably only own two bags (two because I do travel with two laptops a few times a year) instead of the three I currently own.

As far as making laptops that fit one Brain Cell, well,...Tom's bag products are great and very well thought out but.... I believe that it may be a bit out of his expertise.......:)
    Happy owner of (2) brain bags, (1) super ego, (1) ruck's sac, (3) freudian slips, (3) brain cells, (2) snake charmers, (1) soft cell and assorted organizer pouches, straps and packing cubes

I too have several Brain Cell's and several different Bihn Bagsand a few multiple of the same bag.

Anyway,I think the reason the Brain Cell is so effective is the very reason you are speaking of.
    In order to offer the most protection it requires an almost glovelike cocoon of neoprene isolation.

If there were adjustability beyond the simple cradle adjustment they now offer I think it would errode the whole point of the design.

I know that each adjustable sleeve I have seen before restricts the computer where the adjustments are.
    The materials just don't do the same thing as when they are unencumbered.

I am no bag scientist or designer but I imagine they have thought a bit about this already.

When I carry two machines now,one of them is always a Toughbook and I worry more about it hurting everything else first.

Ed

Ed,

I concur, but who says a cradle has to work in only one direction? I know the intent was to balance the vertical load horizontally within the bag, but not all laptops are weighted evenly to begin with so this should be irrelevant. TB already has a design to account for the vertical adjustments, I think if this can be applied horizontally the company can limit the different size runs they need to make. I don't know if this would be more cost effective as far as the production process, but it would also extend the life span of the bag beyond the one laptop (average life of 3 years for a laptop?) and make it more attractive to buyers.

There are also a few creative means of accounting for the various thicknesses of laptops.

The real question is whether this is financially feasible for TB to create. I think there's a huge market for a sleeve that can be used WITHOUT a TB bag (not needing the TB clips), but which will provide 6 sided protection equivalent to using a TB system (TB bag & TB brain cell together). The concern is whether this will take sales away for the rest of the product lines.