Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: large packing cube-convertible backpack

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    So many good suggestions! The whole Dyneema thing has opened up a world of possibilities, and this discussion proves that there's at least two new products for me to work on :)
    Yippee! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Regarding "o" rings - there can never be too many for me! I use them for my keys, organizer pouches, and to lasso my Sigg bottle (the long key strap just passes through the loop thing on the Sigg top, and I snap both clip ends to the "o" ring.
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Just thought I'd move this thread up to see if any progress has been made on a design for this bag. Only a month has passed, I know, but I was curious.

I was thinking more of an elongated convertible packing cube with backpack straps intead of the shoulder strap.

The length of the Convertible Packing Cube fits perfectly inside the Lux, Swift and I imagine the Utility Tote.

It would be wonderful to see it a backpack sort of a Dynema Rucksack to slip into the Lux, Swift, Utility Tote and other Tom Bihn bags as an added portable
    bag.

As somebody who does needlework, Dynema is wonderful to keep spillable things out of the way of my project and the paperwork that seems to find it's way into my Swift.

Also Dynema is wonderful to get over the two bag rules enforced by the airlines since it can pass for being part of the bag that holds it.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hugh - Read your PM or email me!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Super Moderator
    Poking back with curiosity: Is this idea still an active one, even if this thread it not? :) I was hankering for this very thing on my now-completed trip to Portland and Seattle (too bad, I missed getting to the Bihn factory / showroom this time, will need to wait for September). A bag the size of a packing cube but with more complicated uses contemplated would among other things perhaps be the ideal underseat bag for air travel, esp. when it involves commuter jets ;)

timothy
    Last edited by timothy; 08-02-2008 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Poking back with curiosity: Is this idea still an active one, even if this thread it not? :)
    Yes! In fact, it will be available for pre-order within the next two weeks.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Super Moderator
    Darcy:

Awesome, thanks for the word! :) This may push me towards an Aeronaut, too ... oh, soon as I find good seeds for the money tree.

timothy

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes! In fact, it will be available for pre-order within the next two weeks.
    Yes, indeed! Another reason I will be home by the Thursday after Labor Day.

Forget unpacking, let's go shopping at Tom Bihn! Ooh, I have an attack of the wants, here. (Oh, wait, that says PRE-Order. How long until it is actually in the shop for the lucky locals to see/buy/do the Snoopy Dance?)
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Super Moderator
    Hey! Cool entry re: this in the just-delivered email newsletter. Neat to see this go from Hugh's suggestion to a real product in an amazingly short amount of time.

timothy

Measurements correct?

The new packing-cube convertible backpack looks marvelous. I can see one now entering my life. A question - the measurements on the pre-order page are 13.5 x 8 x 3.5. In the pictures, it looks a lot larger. (The measurements given are comparable to the small Western Flyer cube.) Are the listed dimensions accurate?

Ooops - re-read the description. Seems I missed a part of it talking about the difference between the cube and pack versions. My mistake - Sorry!
    Last edited by rabergnc; 08-05-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: I was wrong!

New dimensions:

Overall dimensions (as a backpack): 17.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 445 x 345 x 105mm

Overall dimensions (as a packing cube): 13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 345 x 345 x 105mm

And for those of you who didn't receive the newsletter: Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack now available for pre-order.

Darcy:

This convertible backpack is a very slick idea, I
    might even order one. And I'm retired!
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

I had trouble picturing this or thinking much of it when I was following this thread. But now that I can see the finished product, it's ingenious!

Thanks to Hugh for the initial idea, and thanks to the Tom Bihn crew for making it happen! I plan to add one to my next order ... always nice to have an extra bag for emergencies!

convertible cube backpack

I have the original convertible shoulder bag. I think I missed the description of this new one. How are the straps attached?
    Can you post a picture of this?

Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    I have the original convertible shoulder bag. I think I missed the description of this new one. How are the straps attached?
    Can you post a picture of this?
    See the Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0