Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: large packing cube-convertible backpack

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    So . . . the Large Packing Cube for the Aeronaut has a basically a square, so that a backpack based on that would be a short, fat thing? Is that OK?

If not a short square, how about one which would fit the Aeronaut with only one end unsnapped? I'd use the smaller convertible on one side and keep that end snapped down, but it would be nice if the two large packing cubes would go into the backpack insert, as well as another small packing cube (or even another small convertible). That way it wouldn't be so boxy looking in use out of the Aeronaut, and would hold all the other pieces when I was in transit (as extra insurance so I don't have any chance at all of losing something - save only my mind).

Of course, if others say they'd rather have a center-compartment only bag, please ignore me!

Super Moderator
    Tom Bihn wrote:

"So . . . the Large Packing Cube for the Aeronaut has a basically a square, so that a backpack based on that would be a short, fat thing? Is that OK?"

To me, it's definitely OK. I'd like to see just such a thing! I like esp. the suggestion made earlier in this thread (one of several hypotheticals) that if it had 4 attachment points, it could conceivable be used as a true (tiny / contingent) backpack, or -- with only two points used -- as a sling-bag or messenger bag.

My personal use scenario would be for something to carry around in a city when a larger bag is safely (read: "however safe it truly is") in a hotel, or in the house of a friend I'm visiting, etc. Being small, but carryable hands-free, means I could rent a bike, hop on a crowded trolley, etc. And as of this date in history, there are plenty of tiny laptops which are likely to be in many travelers' gear load which could easily but transported in a case like that, leaving room for a small fleece, and a water bottle, and a notebook, and a paperback, and and and ... ;)

Also, similar lines but distinct, it would be well sized to extract and put under the seat ahead of me on a plane / train, whereas a bag like the Aeronaut wouldn't be handy to retrieve items from while in transit.

One more use: Not that I always remember to do this, but when I do, I really like to have a "firedrill bag" -- that is, a packed bag next to my easiest-to-put-on shoes (I wear sandals a lot) which has the absolute-necessity stuff I'd not want to forget to grab if there really is a fire / earthquake / 30-seconds-to-tornado warning.

That it would be "a short, fat thing" would be perfectly fine for my envisioned purposes -- short-term, light-weight, sheerly functional, where *having* a handy (hands-free) bag is the immediate benefit. Wouldn't want to carry a lot of weight in it, such that the size and shape (or even how wide the straps are, above a certain realistic minimum) just doesn't matter much.

timothy

At the risk of turning this into edcforums... the Rolly Polly is designed for very different purposes than most of TB's stuff, i.e. the transportation of ammunition whilst being attached to one's load bearing vest. I suspect what people have in mind would be the Rolly Polly Backpack (I can't check the link, due to Maxpedition and their crazy paranoid IP blocking...), which may be configured into a backpack and much, much larger than the Rolly Polly.

A Large Packing Cube converted into a backpack would seem to follow along with the military rucksack design philosophy of being very square and riding high on the back... in fact, the more I try to imagine it on my back the more I'm reminded of the M-36 musette bag used by paratroopers in WWII. The M-36 had two attachment points on the top meant for either clipping onto a paratrooper's existing suspenders, or clipping to a length of webbing and used as a shoulder bag.

Info, and great pics of how square it is: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldier...pack_m1936.php

Also a comment I ran into on a website:
    "The Musette bag remains a classic light pack, and needs a couple more comments. The referenced website does not adequately discuss the Marine version, which has an unmentioned and important area of superiority: The built-in shoulder strap is also a built-in pack harness-- pass it through a special loop on the pack and it becomes a pair of over-the-shoulder attachments with NO extra bits to carry. The Army one is meant to serve as a backpack only in conjunction with the period suspenders, and cannot otherwise be used as a backpack without improvising some extra parts.
    Question: Every Army and Marine M 36 musette I have seen has a loop sewn in near the top of the INSIDE. Why?? There must be a reason, but I've never found one."

This sounds like it would be a great bag to shove into my utility tote as a spare. I'm thinking specifically of going to a fiber festival - once my utility tote was full, I could pull out the packing cube/backpack and have an easy way to carry more stuff (not that I need to be encouraged!)

Would be neat if the straps somehow folded into the bag so that they wouldn't get all tangled when it was in the tote waiting to be called into use.
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Super Moderator
    Akilae -- Yes, that picture is just how I was thinking such a back-packable packing cube would look and fit!

And maybe the inside loop is so it could be suspended to dry most efficiently (flap open / interior exposed) if it got soaked?

Heidi Jill: I want the same wrt straps, if this mythical bag were to contain its own permanent straps. Maybe a sort of flap they could be tucked into?

timothy

Most bags/pouches that involve hidden shoulder straps simply involve a double layer of cloth padding on the back of the bag... much like how the Aeronaut does it. Simply make the straps out of lightweight material and they can tuck away unobtrusively. It won't be hard by any stretch of imagination.

It would help matters if the Large Packing Cube was somewhat longer than it was wide... unfortunately it's an exact square. If the straps are slightly loose, I can see a short, fat thing sitting on my lumbar region, making it even more of a nuisance than a shoulder bag... The Musette bag stays high by virtue of being attached to suspenders, that and visual estimation tells me it's a tad smaller than the Large Packing Cube.

Chopping the Large Packing Cube in half (the Small Cube!) won't work well, since the Small Cube is too narrow to make a comfortable backpack. Unless Tom wants to come out with a 3/4 Convertible Packing Cube, and a 1/4 cube to go with it :p

Now that I think about it a convertible backpack/packing cube is... odd... if the whole point of having it readily available to use, then why pack it full of stuff as a packing cube into an Aeronaut, only to empty out the contents and repack when your bag is stowed away in the hotel? I can understand a convertible end cube... but the Large Packing Cube is so much larger... and full of clothes! IMHO a more practical approach would be to make an Imago-sized backpack out of lightweight Dyneema so you can crumple/fold it up and stuff into your Aeronaut when not in use. That way Tom's imagination can run wild, and we'll still get something to stuff into the Aeronaut.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more attractive an Imago-Aeronaut travel setup sounds...

"it would be well sized to extract and put under the seat ahead of me on a plane / train, whereas a bag like the Aeronaut wouldn't be handy to retrieve items from while in transit."

Good idea

Volunteer Moderator
    I still like the Dyneema duffel bag idea, for what it's worth... I mean, it could be a small duffel... maybe 15" long? And you could carry it over your shoulder... heck, you could make it a backpack of sorts if you looped your arms through the grab handles.... just throwing things out here.

I like the idea of a Dynema backpack. I don't think the duffel would work for me, as I would be using it in addition to my Utility Tote or Lux, so having a second shoulder bag would be awkward. I do think the lightweight backpack would work great!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Quote Originally Posted by Akilae View Post
    Now that I think about it a convertible backpack/packing cube is... odd... if the whole point of having it readily available to use, then why pack it full of stuff as a packing cube into an Aeronaut, only to empty out the contents and repack when your bag is stowed away in the hotel?
    The "whole point" is for the packing cube to do double duty as a daypack while traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Akilae View Post
    IMHO a more practical approach would be to make an Imago-sized backpack out of lightweight Dyneema so you can crumple/fold it up and stuff into your Aeronaut when not in use.
    This is NOT a more practical approach and is the reason I started this thread. The Rick Steve's Civita bag which I mentioned is a VERY thin, VERY strong LIGHTWEIGHT little backpack with about the same volume as a large TB packing cube. http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Ci.../dp/B0009U7QKS When I crumple/fold it up and stuff in into my Aeronaut it takes up the space that another item could be using such as a layering sweater or a few extra pairs of wool socks. And it does not function as a packing cube for the Aeronaut because of its shape.

Keep in mind that the Aeronaut will not expand. This makes for a structurally tough bag that also discourages packaholism. However, if one returns from a trip with more than one brought, a large packing cube that becomes a daypack could accommodate the extra goodies into the cabin while the packed-full Aeronaut (sans 1 packing cube) is checked. With the addition of a stretchy mesh water bottle pocket on 1 side and maybe a few other convenient zipped pockets and key loop I think this could be really handy for the Aeronaut system.

Thanks for your consideration Tom.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    So many good suggestions! The whole Dyneema thing has opened up a world of possibilities, and this discussion proves that there's at least two new products for me to work on :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    So many good suggestions! The whole Dyneema thing has opened up a world of possibilities, and this discussion proves that there's at least two new products for me to work on :)
    Yaaaaaaaaaay!!!

Super Moderator
    I second that "Yaaaaaaay!"

At the risk of great social oprobrium, which I might even be spelling correctly, I'd like to suggest a piece of what may be creeping featurism in the form of one of the excellent key-retainer doodads that are many Bihn bags, if and only if there is a space where it would make sense for such a thing to go. (And if this draws only flame, well, Ouch! I give, I give! Uncle!)

timothy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I second that "Yaaaaaaay!"

At the risk of great social oprobrium, which I might even be spelling correctly, I'd like to suggest a piece of what may be creeping featurism in the form of one of the excellent key-retainer doodads that are many Bihn bags, if and only if there is a space where it would make sense for such a thing to go. (And if this draws only flame, well, Ouch! I give, I give! Uncle!)
    hehe! I think we could at the very least include an o-ring inside of this bag so that a Key Strap could be attached to it.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0