Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'd also like to put my name in for a Tom Bihn photo bag and/or inserts.
    Brain Bag, The Aeronaut, Empire Builder, The Buzz, (patiently waiting for a larger Ristretto )

I'm intrigued by the idea of a Tom Bihn camera bag/insert, but obviously would need a clear idea of what it was before determining how likely I am to buy it.

Having said that, I have *not* been happy with any of my camera options so far. I'm about to invest in a thin neoprene body glove for my digital SLR, so I can ditch the bulkier camera case that I use now. The camera will still be packed in either my Aeronaut with my clothes (I hope so), or my Brain Bag/Smart Alec (depending on which one I use for a trip).

For the record, I need my camera for work. But when I pack, it just seems like the bulkiest, heaviest piece of equipment, and that annoys me. (My MacBook slips gracefully into my vertical Brain Cell and effectively disappears.) I don't know what Tom Bihn could do for cameras, but I'd *LOVE* to find out!

padded insert basics

Great to see that others also like the idea of a modular photo insert!
    Photo inserts have to do two things: protect the gear in transit and be easy to pull out/put in stuff when you're actively using the camera. A walking contradiction to be sure.

To me, the most useful insert would be one that let me just drop the camera into the bag nose down, so that it's easy to pull out/tuck in the camera as I work/walk. It'd need to be 5-6" wide (that's body side to outside face) to handle nose-down SLRs. Anything that assumes the body doesn't have a lens attached becomes a storage system, instead of a walk-and-shoot system.

Obviously the insert's dividers need to be padded and easily reconfigured to handle varying gear (e.g. audio, video). Option of half-height dividers would be nice for handling a camera-with-lens setup: narrow at the bottom for the lens, wider at top for the body. Seems like configuration of these dividers needs be independent of the insert itself, which attaches to bag using Brain Cell clip system.

The insert's top either has to be open or use a cover you can easily tuck down inside the "host" bag when you're working (ala the Ristretto). If the host bag's a shoulder bag and has a cover flap of its own or the top of the bag sits 1-2" higher than the top of the insert, then the insert itself doesn't need its own top. Or at least doesn't need to be padded much, which fits with the notion of just using a thinner cover that can be shut or tucked open. One advantage of a cover is that would-be thieves don't see the gear when you open the bag to get other stuff. Another is that you could unclip the whole insert and set it aside without spilling your stuff.

As for the bottom, maybe it could work like the Brain Cell where the contents hang in the sling and never touch the bottom of bag/ground. Again, that makes bulky padding more optional. The one piece of gear that makes this no-bottom-pad notion dicey is a long 200-300mm telephoto since, when attached to a camera, the whole setup winds up 11-15" long/deep. There you absolutely need padding for the nose of the lens--assuming it's sitting vertically.

But lots of the newer zooms for digital cameras are only 8-10" deep, which leaves plenty of remaining depth in bags like the Imago/ID/Super Ego for the Brain Cell sling approach. In most situations, if you're using a big lens you're not walking around but are stationed in one place. So rather than have the long telephoto issue bloat up the whole system, maybe you create a deep cube (or sideways cube) that attaches to main insert for those few times/pieces of gear that need that protection. Besides, when I backpack, there are plenty of dedicated, lowepro-style photo cases to choose from.

It's really the walking around/living normal life situations for which I'm keen to find a bag/insert that works.

hope that helps,
    waywest

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by bigo View Post
    TO: KEN
    which domke bag are you referring to?
    Bigo
    Pardon the delayed response. I have several Domke bags, but my current favorite as a working bag is the F-2.

--Ken

Man. I don't lust after still camera gear- having sold off so much of it in my 'transition' of 1990. But having managed to come-back, using a point and shoot for 5 years, I feel it's time to properly commit to something befitting the images I make. Not an ego-trip or anything- just need it to make my work easier.
    Here's what a Coolpix 5000 can do... http://www.gearninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I am assuming that you mean that you need it because you want it? ;) It broke my piggy bank, and I am still wading through the 400+ page manual, but I am enjoying it so far. I will say that it is quite heavy. It handles well, but it is does not easily "disappear" like my D40 did when I am out for the day. But allis not lost for you, Nikon is supposed to be making an announcement this Monday, and I bet that they will have something else for you to add to your lust list.

--Ken

There are so many camera bags out there. Kata, Domke,Lowe,Tamrac,Lightware, and now... Petrol.
    There are areas where gaps exist, but they're not in camera bags.

I own five camera bags...a Billingham Hadley Pro, two smallish sized Domke bags (can't think of the exact model's at the moment), an Aritist and Artisan Oskars day bag, and a ShootSac and believe it or not, they all serve a purpose...well almost, I'll probably be Ebaying one or two before it's over with. Now that I'm traveling more, I'm looking for a suitable carry on bag to house my MacBook Air, Canon 5D w/two lenses, as well as my Leica M8 Rangefinder with two lenses. This quest would be easier if I was more of a backpack fan, but alas, I'm not so messenger style it is.

I would just love to see Tom come out with camera bag options simply because out of all of these that I just mentioned, none can fully compare to the quality of Tom's IMHO, except possibly the Billingham...which is a very well made bag, but I really prefer a more relaxed look to my bags.

The search never ends!
    Last edited by suden; 08-30-2008 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by suden View Post
    I own five camera bags...a Billingham Hadley Pro, two smallish sized Domke bags (can't think of the exact model's at the moment), an Aritist and Artisan Oskars day bag, and a ShootSac and believe it or not, they all serve a purpose...well almost, I'll probably be Ebaying one or two before it's over with. Now that I'm traveling more, I'm looking for a suitable carry on bag to house my MacBook Air, Canon 5D w/two lenses, as well as my Leica M8 Rangefinder with two lenses. This quest would be easier if I was more of a backpack fan, but alas, I'm not so messenger style it is.

I would just love to see Tom come out with camera bag options simply because out of all of these that I just mentioned, none can fully compare to the quality of Tom's IMHO, except possibly the Billingham...which is a very well made bag, but I really prefer a more relaxed look to my bags.

The search never ends!
    Check Courierware's Camera Bag if you like messenger style camera bags.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJ View Post
    Check Courierware's Camera Bag if you like messenger style camera bags.
    Thanks for the suggestion...I've actually looked at their bags and almost ordered one...but now that Tom has officially announced that camera inserts are in the works, I'm going to wait and see what's available. I'm hoping these might be out by summer? Any guesses yet...Darcy? ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0