Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Smile

Hi Tom! Very cool! Congrats and good luck! No way you won't have the best entry, though!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Congratulations! I hope you have your design and prototype approved. I hope we get to see pictures of the prototype if possible. I know I and bunches of others would purchase such a sack in a heartbeat. Good luck!!

Congrats Tom. I'm sorry I dragged the thread off onto a tangent- one which I'm stuck pursuing on my own at this stage.

Huge Congrats on being selected, Tom!

Your bags rocks and your prototype should be the winner!

I too used to love flying, especially when the low cost, happy to have me on board airlines came in the picture.

Now, it is nothing but wait in long lines, useless scrutiny of things and people and let's not forget the risk for men travelers of bumping into Senator Craig in the lavatory. ;)

Commercial freight stowed under every passenger plane is still -not- screened. I and everbody knows this.

It is a much higher risk than perfume, cosmetics and batteries in business or vacation travellers carry-ons.

Photographers and videographers unions and business organizations should lobby to have the stupid extra battery rule removed.

I sent a letter of inquiry to the Rechargeable Battery Association President as well as to DOT at his recommendation. I can post the letter by request. I strongly urge interested parties on this forum to reiterate my request for information before the TSA/DOT cut us off at the knee caps .All the great luggage in the world is worthless without tons of battery juice with which to run our toys.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Huge Congrats on being selected, Tom!

Your bags rocks and your prototype should be the winner!

I too used to love flying, especially when the low cost, happy to have me on board airlines came in the picture.

Now, it is nothing but wait in long lines, useless scrutiny of things and people and let's not forget the risk for men travelers of bumping into Senator Craig in the lavatory. ;)

Commercial freight stowed under every passenger plane is still -not- screened. I and everbody knows this.

It is a much higher risk than perfume, cosmetics and batteries in business or vacation travellers carry-ons.

Photographers and videographers unions and business organizations should lobby to have the stupid extra battery rule removed.

Tom,

Any update on your bag prototype for the TSA?

CrunchGear Article regarding TSA Approved bag.

Pathfinder Luggage and Targus say they are working to get the new “checkpoint friendly” on the market by the fall. The TSA is scheluded to begin testing more than a half-dozen of the new cases at at three airports: Dulles, outside Washington; Austin-Bergstrom in Texas; and Ontario, near Los Angeles.
    Is Tom Bihn in the running for this?
    I don't think this is a competition, but it seems the first bags to market will certainly make some sales based on this "breeze through security" feature.
    Just curious if Tom Bihn is actively participating and working on this.

USA Today related article from May.

I think it's funny in the USA today article how it talks about a bag that would unfold to go through the x-ray machine. That doesn't seem easier and therefore faster than pulling out my laptop out of the bag and putting it in a container to go through security for me to justify buying such a bag. Especially, since I already own an Aeronaut, Buzz, and Empire Builder. There is still an action required by the user to get the laptop ready for scanning. I thought the point was so that the user would have to do nothing to have the laptop ready to go through scanning. I'm not familiar enough with x-ray security scanning to comment intelligently on this, I'm just commenting from an airport customer standpoint.

Idea I have is that the laptop is stored in a separate compartment and attaches to the bag and can easily and quickly be detached and placed on the x-ray conveyor belt for scanning in a TSA-approved slip case of sorts.
    This way the user just detaches a case quickly and places both the bag and laptop slip case on the x-ray conveyor belt.

Of course this could have security implications in that it would be easier for someone to walk by detach the laptop case and walk away. With everything it is a balancing and compromising act in designing the bag and what features it will have. Of course, it makes for an interesting design and engineering problem... :)

Just my thoughts...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    No updates just yet, but stay tuned: there will be news soon!
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Congrats Tom and crew, I can't wait to see what the new checkpoint friendly briefcase will look like. I'm certain it will exceed our expectations! Now, any chance of seeing a sneak preview photo? :p
    Luis P.
    If it doesn't fit in your Tom Bihn bag, leave it behind

That's awesome!!! I look forward to seeing the new design and probably (much to the chagrin of my long-suffering wife) getting one! It really gets tiresome having to take the computer out of the bag - even from well- designed ones - on one side and putting it back on the other side of the x-ray, especially when you are trying to maneuver with another bag and hoping that the computer will be there on the other side when you get there.

I just saw the blog and at first was excited, then fretful that I would be tempted to buy another bag. Then I thought about it again and realized that it's not that big a pain to me to take the bag out each time.

I know it's popular to get mad at the TSA and all the (seemingly) silly rules but the bright side is it's forced me to travel lighter and plan more. I find that the way I approach travel now is much more efficient and in many ways smarter. It may sound crazy but I think I'm also a happier traveler as a result of the changes I've made.

Next time I have to take the laptop with me I think I'll stick with a backpack style or even a briefcase to count as my personal carry on, at least until that rule changes. Sure I'll have to take the bag out for xray but the utility is far more useful to me than just the few seconds it takes during check out. Heck, only time I get frustrated with taking the laptop in and out is when there is no line and I'm trying to go really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by lpotr4 View Post
    Congrats Tom and crew, I can't wait to see what the new checkpoint friendly briefcase will look like. I'm certain it will exceed our expectations! Now, any chance of seeing a sneak preview photo? :p
    Yes! And soon.....:)

I think you'll find the design to be very innovative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0