Thread: Cafe bags

Cafe bags

I have a large cafe bag (for when I need to carry my lap top) and am thinking about purchasing a small one for when I don't need to have the lap top with me. I love the cafe bag with one exception: I use the largest interior pocket (I think it's meant to be a pda keeper) for my billfold/wallet/changepurse-thingie. This means, I'm constantly reaching in to slip something in and out of that pocket. The key snap hook often gets in the way when doing this. If my keys are not on the snap hook when putting my wallet back in, the hook often ends up inside the pocket. When I then later tug on the strap to try and put my keys on the snap hook, my billfold comes flying out of the bag. (Did I mention I'm lazy and do all of this with the main out flap closed? heh)

Anyway, I'm not sure if the above makes much sense - it's hard to explain without being able to show someone. Mainly, the bag is almost perfect - it would be even better, IMHO, if the key snap hook could be moved to the back panel or perhaps the side panel.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I see what you're saying. On most of our larger bags, the key snap hook is removable and can be clipped in either on the right or left side of the bag, or removed entirely. Do you think if you could put the snap hook on the other side of your bag that would help?

I checked out your blog (url in your profile.) I'm so sorry about your cat Miri! I've been lucky enough to have many cat and dog friends around over the years - including Riley and Bear - but I was closest to my cat Maggy. I'd had her since I was 5 years old, and she would sit in the window and wait for me to come home from school, etc. Very cool cat - loved sitting on laps and playing but also did her own thing. Maggy became very ill and died when she was 16. I felt horribly guilty about it for a long time, because the onset of her illness was sudden and I had come home to discover she was sick after being away for a couple weeks, so I didn't feel like I got to spend much time with her before she left. After she died I saw pictures of a cat named Sourpuss for adoption at a local shelter, and though I didn't feel like I could replace Maggy in any way, I really felt like I had to adopt Sourpuss, who was 14 years old already. The day after I adopted her I took her to the vet and they told me she had chronic renal failure and would live about a month. She ended up living for over a year, comfortably. Interesting how things work out like that.

Sorry if I've overshared here, but I know when Maggy died hearing other peoples stories made me feel a little bit better. In the end, I'm just happy to know there are companion animals out there who are lucky enough to have humans who care about them as much as you cared about Miri.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Yes, a movable snap hook would be ideal. I really like the hook - I don't have to rummage for my keys. That's the same reason I put my billfold in that one pocket as well.

edited to clarify - while being able to move the hook would be ideal, simply sewing the strap into the side or back panel instead of the front panel would solve the problem as well.

Thanks for sharing about Maggy. Miri too went downhill suddenly, so I know exactly what you mean - the guilt is awful. It's been difficult, but I know I did the right thing in the end. (That doesn't help now, but I know it will help in the long run.) I congratulate you on adopting an older cat. How lucky for Sourpuss that you came along and gave her a good last year. So many times, older cats who are given up spend their last days in a shelter.
    Last edited by miri; 02-23-2004 at 12:54 PM.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    We've talked about this in the factory and we will make this change on the next batch of Cafe bags. If you'd like your's modified, please return it to us:
    Tom Bihn Inc.
    108 West First St.
    Port Angeles WA 98362

Make sure you enclose a note so we remember what we are doing to your bag. No charge for the modifications & return shipping.
    Thanks for the feed-back.

Wow - thanks. I'll probably do that after I get back from a trip at the end of the month. I want to take my bag with me on the trip.

It's so nice to know that I can not only recommend Tom Bihn bags to my friends (in fact, I bought my friend one for Christmas!), but can also recommend you guys for your customer service.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0