Grippy back side for Empire Builder?

Hi,

I have the Empire Builder and Absolute Shoulder Strap. Do you think a grippy material on the back of the bag might make it feel a little lighter? (if it grips to clothes & body, might it take some pressure off the shoulder/back?)

This is the first time using a messenger/shoulder bag style bag, and when fully packed, it is a little heavy. I thought it would be cool to try a different style, but I might just buy another backpack. Thought I was tougher than I actually am.

Last edited by reina; 02-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Interesting idea!

Do you need a bag the size of the Empire Builder to carry everything you need?

Tom is always thinking of ways to make bags lighter. For example: the new Smart Alec will be lined with Dyneema fabric instead of Cordura. (The Dyneema is lighter.)
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thanks for the reply!! :) :) :)

Yup, I do need an Empire Builder-sized bag for everything. I have a 17" laptop...otherwise, I might have gone with the Zephyr or ID. However, I do tend to carry a lot of stuff, depending on my schedule for the day.

Here is what I carry in my Empire Builder:

17" laptop & Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell (the Steel color is beautiful, by the way) & charger
    2 marble notebooks
    2" thick textbook
    Wallet for IDs, membership cards, etc.; coin purse for coins; coin purse for small bills
    Cell phone charger
    Clipboard
    iPod
    Glasses
    Index cards
    Pens & pencils
    Water bottle

The Horizontal Freudian Slip with:
    Mini Sharpies
    Extra pencil lead
    Eraser
    Spare contacts
    Scientific calculator
    White out
    Scotch tape
    Post it tags
    5 manila folders with each classes' work/handouts/etc.

The Medium Padded Organizer Pouch with:
    iKleen wipes
    Laptop remote
    DVI converter
    iPod microphone
    Earbuds
    iPod USB cable

Small Clear Organizer Pouch:
    Leatherman Juice
    Mini lighter
    Mini stapler
    Pillbox for Tylenol
    More spare contacts
    More spare lead for pencil

Small Clear Organizer Pouch:
    Foundation
    Lipstick/lipgloss
    Listerine spray

& I clip my keys to the Absolute Shoulder Strap, along with my sunglasses case (it has velcro straps to go over a belt/strap/etc.)

I love the Empire Builder's size and storage capacity & how everything has its place in the bag. :)...and its style! :) and of course its high quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. Every seam is put together perfectly!! :)

So I would love to continue using the EB...maybe I just have to get stronger, or else give it to my brother & go back to a backpack.

On days I don't need my laptop, I carry the Medium Cafe Bag with the pens/pencils, manila folders, calculator, water bottle, small organizer pouches, keys, wallets, sunglasses and text book. :)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Wow!! That is a lot of gear. :)
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0