Grippy back side for Empire Builder?

Hi,

I have the Empire Builder and Absolute Shoulder Strap. Do you think a grippy material on the back of the bag might make it feel a little lighter? (if it grips to clothes & body, might it take some pressure off the shoulder/back?)

This is the first time using a messenger/shoulder bag style bag, and when fully packed, it is a little heavy. I thought it would be cool to try a different style, but I might just buy another backpack. Thought I was tougher than I actually am.

Last edited by reina; 02-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Interesting idea!

Do you need a bag the size of the Empire Builder to carry everything you need?

Tom is always thinking of ways to make bags lighter. For example: the new Smart Alec will be lined with Dyneema fabric instead of Cordura. (The Dyneema is lighter.)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks for the reply!! :) :) :)

Yup, I do need an Empire Builder-sized bag for everything. I have a 17" laptop...otherwise, I might have gone with the Zephyr or ID. However, I do tend to carry a lot of stuff, depending on my schedule for the day.

Here is what I carry in my Empire Builder:

17" laptop & Size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell (the Steel color is beautiful, by the way) & charger
    2 marble notebooks
    2" thick textbook
    Wallet for IDs, membership cards, etc.; coin purse for coins; coin purse for small bills
    Cell phone charger
    Clipboard
    iPod
    Glasses
    Index cards
    Pens & pencils
    Water bottle

The Horizontal Freudian Slip with:
    Mini Sharpies
    Extra pencil lead
    Eraser
    Spare contacts
    Scientific calculator
    White out
    Scotch tape
    Post it tags
    5 manila folders with each classes' work/handouts/etc.

The Medium Padded Organizer Pouch with:
    iKleen wipes
    Laptop remote
    DVI converter
    iPod microphone
    Earbuds
    iPod USB cable

Small Clear Organizer Pouch:
    Leatherman Juice
    Mini lighter
    Mini stapler
    Pillbox for Tylenol
    More spare contacts
    More spare lead for pencil

Small Clear Organizer Pouch:
    Foundation
    Lipstick/lipgloss
    Listerine spray

& I clip my keys to the Absolute Shoulder Strap, along with my sunglasses case (it has velcro straps to go over a belt/strap/etc.)

I love the Empire Builder's size and storage capacity & how everything has its place in the bag. :)...and its style! :) and of course its high quality materials and excellent craftsmanship. Every seam is put together perfectly!! :)

So I would love to continue using the EB...maybe I just have to get stronger, or else give it to my brother & go back to a backpack.

On days I don't need my laptop, I carry the Medium Cafe Bag with the pens/pencils, manila folders, calculator, water bottle, small organizer pouches, keys, wallets, sunglasses and text book. :)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Wow!! That is a lot of gear. :)
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0