Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: a slender Aeronaut....an Aeronette?

No one has posted since my previous post, but many have viewed the thread. The number of views has climbed by almost 1,000.

I do hope Tom was not insulted with my name suggestion making a play on Bihn. Many apologies if it came through as anything other than admiration for well-designed bags.

Though I like my name suggestions, the name Starlite combined with the Tom Bihn aeroplane--more romantic than plain "airplane"--logo just brings out a dreamy sigh, thoughts of flying to meet the Orient Express, etc., for which I need a smallish, easy to carry bag.

I have had some think time regarding the lowest common denominator 19" x 13" x 8" size. I started a spreadsheet with all the airlines listed at seatguru.com, looking up their carry-on baggage information. I did not go too far before realizing the more restrictive sizes were listed as 41" or added up to that (ex.: Quantas Dash, 19" x 13" x 9"). Some airlines use different size combinations (ex.: Air China, 21" x 15" x 7", 43"), so I think the 19" x 13" x 8" (40") came from taking the smaller numbers. (Air China lists 20 cm (7.87") as 7" instead of the 8" that is only 0.13" away.)

Can the absolutely perfect carry-on size be decided. Probably not. I do think staying down near a linear 41" has a good chance for common acceptance.

Re-reading the thread from page 1 before posting and acknowledgment to cpau for noting all that, already!

There is a rule, something about form following function? I am looking for a leisure trip bag and just want a bit more space than I get from the Western Flyer. Big question is, how many people would want a similar bag. I saw links to bags of about 2,000 cubic inches but they are not available anymore. Maybe no one purchased enough. Airlines enforcing smaller carry on sizes could change the picture, but no one really knows.

Well, I think I would like one; so, can 1050 denier ballistic do this case suggestion?

Picture a cube, 19" x 13.5" x 8" (2052 cu. in., 40.5" linear). A zipper, set in 2" on the 8" side runs around three sides for a hinge opening. You set it on the bed and put in 5 packing cubes, Aeronaut end or convertible packing cubes: 13.5" x 8" x 3.25" (will that show a bit of bold? I hope). If the cubes are stuffed rounded, they will probably fill the space (5 x 3.25" is 16.25; 5 x 3.8" is 19). Bring up the cover and zip shut. (couple of outside slip pockets would be nice, too :-)
    eWalker likes this.

Hope this is in the works real soon. I have a month long trip coming up later this year where the Western Flyer would be not quite enough bag...

Super Moderator
    I hope that the "Starlite" (or, IMO, even Starlight) name is not bound up in trademark law or something -- I keep coming back to it as my favorite. One of these in black with a bright-colored lining is what I want to go around the world :)

timothy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tom is working on three new travel bags for the first part of this year: a bag between the Western Flyer and Aeronaut in size is one of them.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I may be a minority voice on this one, but here's a plea for 7 inches deep rather than 8 or more.
    I like the idea of the 7 inch bag too. That way it can bulge out a little (do Bihn bags bulge? Unfortunately with the dreadful exchange rate with the Australian dollar, I don't have one) without going over any limits.

For me, I'd just rather not have a maximum size carry on if I can go a little smaller. And that would help with those airlines who have slightly smaller carryon limits. I therefore second Cpau's comments about Virgin Blue having a length limit of 48cm. That's really short, but something that I have to contend with most of the time when I travel domestically within Australia.

I have been thinking a great deal about my ideal bag. I love the format and structure of the Aeronaut. I can see great value in the separate end compartments.

I have been pondering the idea of the compartment dividing walls being zip down so that you can add on the size one or both ends to the main compartment when necessary. I'm thinking how I often travel with a long roll of fabric that would fit by zipping down all or part of the compartment walls, but would not fit in the main compartment itself. Its something I have to travel with, so I have to consider it.

I also wondered about the idea of having one end compactible so that it expands out when needed, but can be compacted when not needed. Maybe Bihn fabrics are too stiff for that. 1050 denier is a very heavy weight fabric after all!

All that said, I think that Tom Bihn bags are amazingly thoughtful and cutting edge in their designs.

Count me in for testing out the new in-between size!!

Almost seven years since the debate over a smaller version of Aeronaut started!

Anyone what is the status of this?
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 18 days to go!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Almost seven years since the debate over a smaller version of Aeronaut started!

Anyone what is the status of this?
    It's real! I'm looking at one right now. And we hope to debut it soon: just a few small details need to be worked out and we'll need fabric to make them
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It's real! I'm looking at one right now. And we hope to debut it soon: just a few small details need to be worked out and we'll need fabric to make them
    Please, please, please... canīt you tell us something? Maybe, show some pictures?
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 18 days to go!!

Darcy, Darcy, Darcy.

Please? Pretty please with sugar on top? My S19 keeps saying it needs a friend - love to have to decide between a pilot and the Aeronaut junior.

Hey Darcy, at least tell us the size. Based on that I will be able to decide if I wait or not.

I plan to buy 3 new bags from Tom Bihn and I must buy then together because I will pay $100 to mail one Side Effect or three Aeronauts!

So I will buy bags, packing cubes, lights, pockets & pouches, all on a single run!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

Hello Darcy, It has been a while, but the new Aeronaut 30 truly fits the bill. When I started this thread over six years ago, I had hoped that others would agree that there was a need, and indeed they did. My dilemma now, having already retired my old Aeronaut, is deciding whether to also retire my Western Flyer in favor of the new kid on the block. Thanks to Tom for giving us another so worthy choice. Regards, Foozler

It was August 2008 when Darcy said, "I'm certain you'll see a bag similar to what's being asked for in this thread sometime soon!" Yes, it's been some time.

Darcy's "soon" is about equivalent to a friend I had's "two minutes".

Volunteer Moderator
    To be fair, it's really Tom's "soon". From past experience, many times a product under development has come to the point where it has "almost" been ready, but then been torn apart and redesigned again. External events, such as the recent actions limiting carryon luggage size, have a way of providing extra incentives to bring things to fruition.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0