Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: a slender Aeronaut....an Aeronette?

While we're talking colours, I actually think there is a lot to be said for a light coloured inside of a bag. Not white, obviously, but something much more towards the light end of town, so that it doesn't make it resemble a black hole, especially if the bag is deep rather than wide, and the lighting isn't the best. I know that lining material is limited in the colours available, but it is something that is easily overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I love our Steel fabric. It's custom-dyed for us to be exactly the Steel we want: blue undertones rather than green or red undertones. The Black/Steel Checkpoint Flyer is quite handsome.
    Oh, how I wish I could visit the Seattle store in person. You're making a good case for the steel, which my mind automatically translates as "grey." Perhaps I should reconsider my thoughts on steel ...

I prefer the green or browns - ("warm" colors) . :-((
    Last edited by TdeF; 09-05-2008 at 01:39 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ Nemeth View Post
    Oh, how I wish I could visit the Seattle store in person. You're making a good case for the steel, which my mind automatically translates as "grey." Perhaps I should reconsider my thoughts on steel ...
    While we also wish that you could visit our store, we're always happy to mail out swatches. Email inquiries@tombihn.com with your address and request away. Be sure to specify what type of fabric along with the color because some colors - such as Steel - come in 500 denier Cordura, 1000 denier Cordura, and 1050 denier ballistic nylon.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'm certain you'll see a bag similar to what's being asked for in this thread sometime soon!
    Oh boy. I can see myself getting this one as well. I'll be in big trouble here at home, but I know now that resistance is futile!

another 19x13x8 wish

Hi,

I have been wondering about the Western Flyer for some time now, but I do not really need a briefcase, just a travel bag that will meet the more restrictive size requirements for carry-on, so here is another wish for a 19x13x8 bag.

With backpack straps, yes? Assuming it has some convertible straps.

That was another reason I did not jump at the Western Flyer: its sling strap. Sling straps sound so sexy, but they don't work for my female form.

By March? Thanks :-)

Super Moderator
    "I have been wondering about the Western Flyer for some time now, but I do not really need a briefcase, just a travel bag that will meet the more restrictive size requirements for carry-on, so here is another wish for a 19x13x8 bag."

Scotlib -- Do you mean more restrictive reqmts on U.S. domestic flights, or some other place? (If so, I apologize for being as behind as usual, but which airlines / which restrictions?) -- I've been thinking about an Aeronaut for a long time, but am over budget lately on toys / travel / moving / food ;) So it'll be a while, and I was considering a non-Bihn bag (as a stop-gap measure, of course) for some travel in late Winter.

timothy

Hi timothy,

I was thinking the restrictions more of the international airlines. I saw a post on One Bag One World, I think it was, that the lowest common denominator could be a 19x13x9 bag, though I know at least one, Ryanair, has about an 8" limit (the cm convert to 7.87, close enough to 8? I would hope).

Looking at some pictures of the Western Flyer I wonder if 19x13x7 would be enough, with the way a soft bag can get stuffed. Now, I wonder ... Does Tom Bihn measure the outer dimensions or inner for posted sizes?

This is just a personal quest. The "method to my madness" is finding a bag that would suit for a long, long time and cover as many potential airlines as I could fly and keeping the bag with me as carry-on.

Flying with only a carry-on is also a personal decision :-) I flew a trip with one carry-on and loved walking past the luggage carousels. That trip I tried a duffel, but it wasn't a comfortable shape to lug, so I am looking around for options.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by scotlib View Post
    Looking at some pictures of the Western Flyer I wonder if 19x13x7 would be enough, with the way a soft bag can get stuffed. Now, I wonder ... Does Tom Bihn measure the outer dimensions or inner for posted sizes?
    Outer dimensions on the measurements.

If you stay mostly with Ryan, I'm afraid soon no bag will do for them; they're anal about new rules/restrictions every quarter to make more money. Just because that's their posted limit now doesn't mean it will be the same next year.

If you're flying with other carriers, I don't think either the Aeronaut or the Western Flyer would be a problem - IF you can keep down the weight. Virgin's a stickler for weight, and British Airways makes coach pax bags conform to both size and weight out of the US. First and Club have higher allowances. Of course, checking your bag with BA is a cr@pshoot if you'll ever see it again. (If BA was my only airline choice to London, thanks, I'd call Cunard or just not go!)

Honestly, I've put my Air Boss (21x13x8) next to an Aeronaut (22x14x9) and been surprised over how much smaller the Aeronaut looked to the eye. It's not a standard rectangle like other bags; it's also made of Ballistic, which helps stop the bulge that the Cordura Air Boss is (in)famous for. That helps. The Western Flyer's smaller yet. If you don't bulge out all over and have rocks in either bag, I think you'll be good to go.
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Yes, 20cm is close enough to 8".

scotlib said "I wonder if 19x13x7 would be enough"; my answer would be a solid "no". 4 litres is a significant increase in capacity (going from 7" to 8") and for long long international trips as your only bag this can make a big difference.

The great majority of international carriers I've been on have been fine with the Aeronaut size, and in my experience weight is more of an issue in a bag that big (and that size bag is frankly over-big for their weight limits), hence the call for something slightly smaller and even more widely acceptable.

I'd be MUCH more in favour of the bag being 8" thick (to be stuffed to a 9" squishable bulge in the middle in an emergency) than cranking it down to 7" thick in order to try to stick within 8", especially since 8" thickness limit is actually quite rare. An inch is bigger than you think ;-) and squishability counts for a lot in these borderline cases. I get the impression that TB's bags don't bulge as much as many do.

I'd actually like one 9" thick since it suits the overwhelming majority of these smaller-capacity carryon airlines, but understand about Ryanair and wonder if/when others will follow, so think 8" might be safer, in the long run. I'm still very much on the fence about this (8 or 9!). Then again, as aiethabell said, nothing will please Ryanair and their ilk soon.

Being slightly thicker also differentiates it more from the Western Flyer, if that was important for TB having a wider, more distinctive product range.
    Last edited by cpau; 09-11-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: edited for clarification

Good note, cpau, on the volume difference from 7" to 8" and going with the 8" to set a new bag apart from the Flyer.

Thanks, aiethabell, for the information on the measurements.

Cheers.

Super Moderator
    scotlib -- Ah! I saw that same post (about the LCD for international size / weight), and I'm glad that's what you were referring to. Feared that there was a change to typical U.S. requirements of which I was unaware; I think in the next year any intl. travel I do will be by car, and to Canada ;)

Cheers,

timothy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scotlib View Post

That was another reason I did not jump at the Western Flyer: its sling strap. Sling straps sound so sexy, but they don't work for my female form.
    The Western Flyer is now available for pre-order with backpack straps, FYI.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    "I have been wondering about the Western Flyer for some time now, but I do not really need a briefcase, just a travel bag that will meet the more restrictive size requirements for carry-on, so here is another wish for a 19x13x8 bag."

Scotlib -- Do you mean more restrictive reqmts on U.S. domestic flights, or some other place? (If so, I apologize for being as behind as usual, but which airlines / which restrictions?) -- I've been thinking about an Aeronaut for a long time, but am over budget lately on toys / travel / moving / food ;) So it'll be a while, and I was considering a non-Bihn bag (as a stop-gap measure, of course) for some travel in late Winter.

timothy
    I would discourage you from getting a non-Bihn bag to make do on your next trip.

I speak from experience as I did that before I knew about Tom Bihn bags.

You will get either a cheaply made stuff that can fall apart after or even during the trip, (I saw a laptop backpack strap literally coming out of its seams while a laptop was in and it was carried on a bike.) Scary!

Or a not so cheap bag at the mall, that will be impossible to carry with ease or without pain. It will not hold half of your stuff, even while packed with the most efficient method.

The memory of dragging the cheap bags on the airport floor because it would hurt too much to carry them, is still with me. Never Again!

You might be stronger and could manage carrying even uncomfortable bags and their badly made straps but... why risk the inconvenience?

PS: I do not work for Tom Bihn, I pay full price for the bags and I am still passionate about the design and the comfort they provide.

Any updates on this exciting bag? The more I use my Imago and my Swift, the more I look forward to a travel bag by TB!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0