Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10

    Serious Rain Protection for Brain Bag

    I commute on a train and a bus every day. When it rains, I just have to get wet, the train waits for no one. I use a Brain Bag. I'm dilligent about keeping it treated with Nikwax, but some water always seems to seep in. If I'm carrying important papers, then they get ruined.

    What I'd like to see is a rain cover like mountain packs have. See here;
    http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products....4&cat=2&id=316

    The stuff in my Brain Bag is way to important to me to risk it getting wet.

    Thanks for your consideration,

    Bernie Hunt

  2. #2
    CEO
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Posts
    242
    I hope to work on a rain cover for the Brain Bag in 2008. Because of the Brain Bag's shape it is not as easy make a rain cover as it is for a larger pack :)

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    I'll count on the fertile mind that created that wonderful shape to find the solution, hehehehe.

    Bernie

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    69
    Unfortunately the features of the Brain Bag that make it so unique and useful also make it hard to waterproof. Seams and zippers are where water can enter. The fabric, being treated on the inside will remain water resistant for some time but the exposed zippers are a problem. That's why serious packs for serious backpacking have few exposed zippers and have flaps that cover the zippers when closed. Even then they use rain covers for use in major downpours.

    Grandma and I carry a rolled contractor trashbag in our Aeronauts just in case we get caught in the rain while waiting for a bus.

    In spite of Aten Imago's claim in his test of the Aeronaut:

    Quote Originally Posted by Aten Imago
    To test the protected zippers, we subjected Aeronaut to a 10 minute shower- Not a drop of water was discovered inside.
    There is no way the Aeronaut would survive such a "test".

  5. #5
    CEO
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Posts
    242
    The zippers on the Aeronaut are YKK's "splash-proof" Aquaguard zippers and are indeed exposed. We could have made flaps to cover the Aeronaut's zippers but the extreme curve of the main opening especially would make the flaps far more trouble than they are worth: the flaps would get in the way every time you zipped or unzipped the bag. We chose instead to use the splash-proof zippers. And though carrying a plastic bag as a rain cover for extra protection isn't a bad idea, my experience with the Aeronaut would incline me to believe the bag passes Imago Metrics' 10 minute shower test no problem.

    The Brain Bag, on the other hand, has no exposed zippers, as they all have fabric flaps covering them. Whether zippers with flaps or zippers with a urethane coating (like YKK's Aquaguard) provide the best long-term weather-proofness remains to be seen.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    235
    Tom. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Lafuma solution to a backpack cover or not? It might suite the Brain Bag well. Because we're overstocked with merchandise from kind contributors, I happen to have a new '08 series Lafuma pack here if you want it. It's ecofriendly too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    I hope to work on a rain cover for the Brain Bag in 2008. Because of the Brain Bag's shape it is not as easy make a rain cover as it is for a larger pack :)

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    235
    I respectfully beg to differ as I personally test everything that's stamped with the 'Passed 10 minute Shower Test' imprimatur.I even take the shower at the same time since in the real world a PERSON stands right bye that bag as it's getting soaked- in hand. If, however, you'd care to subject YOUR Aeronaut to the SAME test and it fails, I'll buy it off of you... if it's the green color ;) BTW, I got caught in the rain yesterday-during my 1hr hike around the lake, wearing a down vest & carrying a loaded Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon. Surprisingly- no water inside- though I concede it was less rain than in my shower. The Maxpedition zippers are fully exposed. http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/Pygmy_f.htm
    I don't mind being challenged on my test procedures and will gladly shoot proctored videos if need be.

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
    Unfortunately the features of the Brain Bag that make it so unique and useful also make it hard to waterproof. Seams and zippers are where water can enter. The fabric, being treated on the inside will remain water resistant for some time but the exposed zippers are a problem. That's why serious packs for serious backpacking have few exposed zippers and have flaps that cover the zippers when closed. Even then they use rain covers for use in major downpours.

    Grandma and I carry a rolled contractor trashbag in our Aeronauts just in case we get caught in the rain while waiting for a bus.

    In spite of Aten Imago's claim in his test of the Aeronaut:



    There is no way the Aeronaut would survive such a "test".
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 12-27-2007 at 12:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    235
    That's it! I'm shooting a video of me in the (near) buff showering with the Aeronaut- should be a hit on YouTube.Tom. There had better be a raise in this for me! ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The zippers on the Aeronaut are YKK's "splash-proof" Aquaguard zippers and are indeed exposed. We could have made flaps to cover the Aeronaut's zippers but the extreme curve of the main opening especially would make the flaps far more trouble than they are worth: the flaps would get in the way every time you zipped or unzipped the bag. We chose instead to use the splash-proof zippers. And though carrying a plastic bag as a rain cover for extra protection isn't a bad idea, my experience with the Aeronaut would incline me to believe the bag passes Imago Metrics' 10 minute shower test no problem.

    The Brain Bag, on the other hand, has no exposed zippers, as they all have fabric flaps covering them. Whether zippers with flaps or zippers with a urethane coating (like YKK's Aquaguard) provide the best long-term weather-proofness remains to be seen.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    69

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    The zippers on the Aeronaut are YKK's "splash-proof" Aquaguard zippers and are indeed exposed. We could have made flaps to cover the Aeronaut's zippers but the extreme curve of the main opening especially would make the flaps far more trouble than they are worth: the flaps would get in the way every time you zipped or unzipped the bag. We chose instead to use the splash-proof zippers. And though carrying a plastic bag as a rain cover for extra protection isn't a bad idea, my experience with the Aeronaut would incline me to believe the bag passes Imago Metrics' 10 minute shower test no problem.

    The Brain Bag, on the other hand, has no exposed zippers, as they all have fabric flaps covering them. Whether zippers with flaps or zippers with a urethane coating (like YKK's Aquaguard) provide the best long-term weather-proofness remains to be seen.
    First off let me say that the Tom Bihn Aeronaut is a masterpiece of design. I researched a carry-on bag for quite awhile before ordering one and would have sent it back if it did not meet my expectations. It exceeded them and I ordered another for my wife. As to its water shedding abilities; the reason I carry a trashbag is the fact that whenever you have two sliders on a zipper that meet there will still be a small opening that will allow water to enter. True, it is small but any opening in a bag eliminates it from being "waterproof".

    Now as I have proved I am totally ignorant of the design of the other bags in your line, from now on I will only comment on the Aeronaut. :)

    Zephernoid- Yes I would like to see you put your Aeronaut in the shower for ten minutes. I don't think we need to see you in there with it however.

    From another topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    For me, Red Oxx is
    simply too heavy and over-engineered for most URBAN travelers.
    I'd say "over built".

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    One thing to be remembered about the challenge of a waterproof backpack in an urban environment; if the wearer uses an umbrella of usual size, a much greater amount of water than normal is dropped on the top and backside of the backpack.

    Also, the acceptable level of water allowed inside the backpack containing important papers and book is zero! Even one drop ruins a contract or report and makes it un-useable.

    I have also used the trash back solution and some packing tape to keep it in place. I am hoping for a slightly more chic solution that makes me stand out more compared to the homeless with their trash bags.

    Bernie

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    235
    I don't ever pack water sensitive contents in my luggage directly. Except for suits in my CIA garment bag, I always use inner packing cubes and pouches or ALOKSAKS that mitigate dampness from rare downpours on travels. So this quick documentary using towels in the Aeronaut is unrealistic but proves my point. I also noticed that the zippers on my ID bag have a different cover, so I may do a less risqué video of that to compare the two.
    CAUTION: Graphic Content May Not Be Suitable For Some Audiences.

    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 12-29-2007 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Typos

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    36
    You have persuaded me! Should keep the rain out of anything short of a typhoon. Thanks for the video.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Topeka, KS
    Posts
    69
    Hoo-hah! I laughed so hard I blew Diet Coke out of my nose! (What a mess.)

    You win.:D

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    I just don't know how I've ever showered without luggage before! ;}

    Now if we can get that kind of protection on a Brain Bag then I'm quite happy!

    Bernie

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    529
    And I thought I was a loyal customer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0