Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff Sack

Stuff Sack

Woohoo!
    I can finally post on the forum - thanks, Darcy!

The stuff sack seems great, except for one thing. It looks like the yarn grommet is solid, meaning that the only way the yarn can get out of there is by finishing the project. One problem with that - we knitters do, on rare (HA!) occasion, need to unravel our knitting! And I think that having to deal with unraveling yarn that is running through a grommet that is attached to a bag would be quite challenging, to say the least. So my suggestion is to either have a very small slit in the grommet so that the yarn can be taken out before you get to the end of the ball, or change from a grommet to a fabric tab that snaps closed.

Happy Holidays!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hi Heidi!

That's a very good point, and Tom is currently looking for a new style of hardware/grommet that would allow you to take out the yarn.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The Stuff Sack yarn feeder grommet

By itself that solid o ring looks perfect to link two or more key straps together or two organizer pouches etc...

I also think it could become an external o ring to clip securely a luggage tag, an organizer pouch, a style kit to the Imago, Cafe Bags, Aeronaute
    or even a stylish way to secure the waterproof cover to the Brain Bag.
    The ribbing should be black to blend with the bags, not red.

An external and sturdy o ring would be especially usefull on the Utility Tote, Swift and Lux because they tend to get stuffed with groceries, books or crafts items and it would be good to have a strong o ring to clip the pouch that holds discount, library card or a stuff sack holding the yarn and current project

It looks sturdy enough to endure airport carrousels, tugs in crowded buses etc...

I other words, don't chug that little piece of hardware. :)

Volunteer Moderator
    How about something like these keychain things:

The fabric tab that snaps closed is a good idea too!

Although Just's suggestions seem logical, I'm really concerned about them. You wouldn't believe how cunning yarn can be as it tries to wrap around obstructions. Yarn finds its way around the cinching lock or the clip on the outside of the bag frequently. I'd be really concerned with the above clips as they have corners and edges to catch yarn and keep it from flowing freely.
    Another happy owner of the Aeronaut, Sm & Lg packing cube, convertible packing cube, Absolute packing strap. Also travel with Ballistic Imago w/2 sm organizer pouches and style kit. Swift with extra key straps, organizer pouches and my quarter packing cube. Holiday Med. Ultrasuede® pouch, all 3 sizes of Stuff Bags, various key straps. I love them all!

The top one would definitely be trouble...there would be tangles-aplenty! I find that even the plastic clip on the outside of the Stuff sack, my yarn can find a way to wrap around and through all the little nooks and crannies. Not a huge problem because there are no rough edges and nothing gets snagged...but with those metal clips, there are too many ways for the yarn to snag, get pinched and generally cause problems.

I like the look of the lower clip though. Especially if it was just the part we see in the photo and there were no other moving parts. It looks as though all the edges are rounded and smooth and that there are no little moving parts that could cause havoc.

About the keychain things...

The top one would definitely be trouble...there would be tangles-aplenty! I find that even the plastic clip on the outside of the Stuff sack, my yarn can find a way to wrap around and through all the little nooks and crannies. Not a huge problem because there are no rough edges and nothing gets snagged...but with those metal clips, there are too many ways for the yarn to snag, get pinched and generally cause problems.

I like the look of the lower clip though. Especially if it was just the part we see in the photo and there were no other moving parts. It looks as though all the edges are rounded and smooth and that there are no little moving parts that could cause havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hi Heidi!

That's a very good point, and Tom is currently looking for a new style of hardware/grommet that would allow you to take out the yarn.
    That would be awesome! (I have project commitment issues...do NOT tell the sock currently in my bag)

Stuff Sack Grommet Solutions

First, I'm very happy with my swift! That said, I agree that the stuff sack needs some re-thinking. I don't think that either of the suggestions will be workable. Perhaps a grommet like the one which is there with a small slit to get yarn in and out. Right now, with a work in progress (wip) I'm unable to use the fully enclosed circular grommet without cutting the yarn (which is something we knitters are loath to do). A slit, perhaps not a straight slit, would make it easy to put a wip through, while making it hard for the yarn to escape on its own.

Tom has just ordered a new part that may solve the WIP/grommet issue.

Heidi Jill, lgsplace, indigo, backpack and Just: We'd like to send you a Yarn Stuff Sack with the new part so you can test for us. Can each of you PM me your address if you're interested? We should be able to mail the Stuff Sacks off to you within a couple of weeks.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Stuff Sack Grommet

Darcy, I hope you got the messages I sent regarding the stuff sack that you sent me! I was just wondering if the stuff sacks for sale now have the amazing new releasable grommet? I use my sack to carry my sock projects around, and when people ask about it, I'd like to be able to tell them that they would be getting the releasable grommet if they ordered the sack.

Also, any possibility of making the sacks in a couple of different colors? Knitters really like colors! ;-) I could definitely see owning several sacks for several projects, but probably only if they came in different colors.

Darcy, I sent you my address but haven't seen the new yarn stuff sack yet. Did you send it?

A releasable grommet? That would be wonderful. The only thing I don't like about the sack that came with the Swift is the grommet.

Quote Originally Posted by indigo View Post
    Darcy, I sent you my address but haven't seen the new yarn stuff sack yet. Did you send it?
    Not yet, indigo: we're having the releasable grommet part custom-made for us in Japan, and it will be a little while before we receive more parts that we can use to make a sample to send to you. Sorry about that! You will get one eventually, but it might take a few weeks.

And everyone else who didn't receive one yet: same thing. Stay patient, if you can!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    Darcy, I hope you got the messages I sent regarding the stuff sack that you sent me! I was just wondering
    Hi Heidi Jill!

I did, and thank you!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, we are having the new releasable part custom-made for us in Japan in bright yellow -- this should make the part a lot easier to see and manipulate inside of the stuff sack. But this also means that it will be a few more weeks before we start making Stuff Sacks with the new part.

As for different colored Stuff Sacks: we plan to add a Yellow Dyneema to our color palette this summer/fall, so you'll be seeing Yellow Stuff Sacks around then.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0