Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stuff Sack

Woo hoo! Can't wait.

Thanks!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Let us know what you think as soon as you receive them....
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Receipt acknowledged. Thanks. Have had an insane week so won't get to try until tonight or over the weekend. It is definitely not one I can judge without trying! I'll let you know in the next couple of days.

My bag arrived - thank you very much! I would like to use it a bit more before passing judgment. The first one was love at first sight - this one, I'm not so sure. Will have a more defined opinion after the weekend!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

I can't find the original thread Darcy but I want to thank you and all of Tom Bihn for the stuff sack. I'm trying it today.

Okay, I've tested the new prototype clip. It does work. It does not work as well as the first prototype and requires more attention. It is a bit clumsier. I could live with the new clip and understand the Made In China production issues with the first one. I just prefer the first. It is stabler, less to become entangled with, stays in place without any encouragement/attention.

Darcy, if you have specific questions, ask away!

The new clip works fine with my sock yarn. I think the other clip was a little nicer, but not nice enough to be worth using a "made in China" component on a fine USA made bag.

For what it's worth, I also used the bag without using the yarn guide, and it really caused no problem at all. Maybe the yarn grommet isn't even necessary!??
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    The new clip works fine with my sock yarn. I think the other clip was a little nicer, but not nice enough to be worth using a "made in China" component on a fine USA made bag.

For what it's worth, I also used the bag without using the yarn guide, and it really caused no problem at all. Maybe the yarn grommet isn't even necessary!??
    I was planning on using the grommet with some yarn I have that gets completely messed up. I had to throw out the scarf I began with it. Most people recommend putting yarn like that in a plastic bag and making a hole in it. I think the new grommet will serve that same function but haven't tried it yet. If it does control that kind of yarn I'd hate to have it dropped.

As I posted, I prefer the original grommet, but agree that the Made In China issue is significant enough that the new grommet is a good second choice. That said, I think that the grommet is an important feature. If one if working with more than one color, it is very helpful. If one is carrying more than one yarn in the staff sack, it is essential. I would not eliminate the grommet even though, under some circumstances, the bag functions "on its own".

I'm finding the new grommet really awkward. I've tried a couple of ways of manipulating the 2 hooks to make it more secure, but no matter what I try the yarn is slipping out. It's twisting its way around the ends of each hook without much manipulation at all. So my first question is, is there a "correct" way to secure the yarn in the hooks?

Here are my comparative grommet reviews:

Grommet #1 (original stuff sack): good solid piece, but I never use it because I need to be able to remove the project from the bag. If there was a way to make it more of a "split ring" that might work, but it would need to be easy to open and the edges would need to be rounded and smooth to prevent the yarn from snagging.

Grommet #2 (Chinese component): I didn't get to test this one and haven't seen it, so can't comment.

Grommet #3 (Korean component): It's not working for me...but it's getting close. If there was a way to snap the 2 hooks together, so that the area encircling the yarn was closed securely, that might work.

Other possibilities: You know, I almost prefer the key snap component. I tried clipping my yarn into it to see what that would be like and it wasn't bad. The yarn was fairly easy to get in and out and it didn't escape. There are 2 issues with it though: 1) Yarn does get tangled in the ball joint, and 2) The edges of it aren't as rounded as I'd like to see.

I do, however, like the new clear vinyl! It's a much lighter and more flexible weight than on the first clear-bottomed stuff sack. It's made the sack lighter and much easier to "stuff" into my Swift.

Further Review

I've already said that all things being equal (in this instance, the issue of Chinese v. Korean component), I prefer the first grommet. But I can live with the second one and make it work. I do not think the snap option displayed among the choices early on would be a good choice because it look heavy and unwieldy. That's what I like about the snap option delivered: it was light and didn't spin around, creating a place for yarn to catch.

Just my thoughts.

I've now had the chance to try the stuff sack with the new grommet in a variety of situations: at home, on transit, on a plane... And I've tried it with a variety of yarns: lace, sock, dk, worsted. It's just not working. Instead of controlling the yarn, the hooks are getting tangled in the yarn, and causing it to tangle.

I've started using the new grommet and so far it's working well for me. I'm using medium weight yarn- maybe thinner yarn would be more problematic.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You guys should be receiving new Yarn Stuff Sacks in the mail very soon with a "new new" grommet. For clarity's sake, let's call this "new new" grommet the "webbing loop/snap grommet".

The webbing loop/snap grommet has been approved by a knitting expert we all know and love, and we've gone ahead with production on a new batch of Yarn Stuff Sacks using the webbing loop/snap grommet. But we still need your feedback!

And, BTW, the webbing loop/snap grommet is 100% Made in USA. :)
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Smile I think it's a winner!

I got my stuff sack yesterday -what a surprise and thanks a bunch! It was love at first sight when I took it out of the envelope. I really like the red color - nice and cheerful against the kinda drab bag color (sorry, I'm just not a grey/black person!) I've only used it a bit, to knit a few rounds on my sock last night, but it seemed to behave just fine! My sock yarn is pretty thin so I wondered if it might somehow get snagged in the snap edge - but so far, so good! I'll use it more over the next few days and report back.

Somehow it just feels right to me to have yarn running through a soft webbed grommet rather than a harsh plastic hook.

Thanks ever so much to all at Tom Bihn for working so hard to get rid of the China component! I am so impressed with you guys - you are awesome! I was at the dentist the other day and the hygienist admired my Lux bag, so I told her all about the bags being made and designed in Seattle by real people rather than some amorphous corporate entity. Then I showed off my small cafe bag and told her about the website. Probably more than she wanted to know but I couldn't help myself! (And that was before I discovered the third iteration of the stuff sack in my PO box!)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0