Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: How's that diaper bag coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Holy canolies, the WF would be HUMONGOUS for that! I would probably recommend a Synapse or even a Packing Cube Backpack before I'd recommend a WF. Well, unless you're Octomom and you need to carry 8 sets of stuff in one bag!

Actually, I'd love to see a PCSB the size of the PCBP (I mean, identical as PCBP but have D-rings to snap a simple strap on). That would allow you to hang it off your pram handlebar and get to stuff in it easily. You could wear it cross-body like a messenger bag and still be able to get into the bag. Don't get me wrong; I love my PCBPs for being able to go hands-free altogether, and I rarely ever pack anything directly into the main compartment on my TS or WF without it first getting packed into a PCBP... but I often wish they had a duffle-style version of the same thing. Something like that might be perfect for a bigger diaper bag for you.
    Well, I do have those infant twins. We're feeding them formula, so between clothes and diapers and bottles, there's a pretty large amount of stuff that gets lugged around when we're going to be out for more than 90 minutes. I am a pretty lean diaper bag packer, too. I don't take the kitchen sink with us.

The PCDB (Packing Cube Duffle Bag) is a great idea. I could definitely turn something like that into a full-day diaper bag. Or a full-day momma bag, for that matter. See...there I go, liking another one of your posts again. ;-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I second Lani, I think the Synapse would make a much better diaper bag than the WF unless you need to carry a TON of stuff. Using various pouches and Stuff Sacks as well as the clear quarter cubes and kit the Synapse would be well organized too! I had a similar sized backpack that I used with my sons when #2 was born. I had to carry diaper bag paraphernalia for an infant and 15 month old. It worked perfectly and I loved it over the messenger style bags because I could sling my infant, use the backpack and then walk or stroller the toddler. Everything was tied down and in it's place.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

You really think that the WF is too big? It's capacity is 1600 cubic inches and the Synapse is 1160. I'm currently using an LL Bean backpack (capacity 2200 cubic inches) to haul stuff to daycare, and the two bottle coolers take up half of the larger compartment.

When we drop the boys off at the grands, I put all their stuff in Large Lands' End tote and it's nearly full. That's usually: 16+ disposable diapers, packet of wipes, 2 extra outfits (one per kid), 2-4 receiving blankets, 2-4 burp cloths, changing pad, and bottle-mixing supplies. I don't think I'm overpacking, but maybe I am. They always come home with unused diapers, which is good. The bottles are washed and reused, but if I were packing for a day out I wouldn't count on having a clean sink so I'd pack more bottles. I could probably lose the receiving blankets because it's 90 degrees out, but they are also handy for making comfy places to lay in the grass, protecting furniture, making little pillows/bumpers, etc.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    You really think that the WF is too big? It's capacity is 1600 cubic inches and the Synapse is 1160.
    Hmm let me see if I can describe the "mouth-feel" of a WF for you. I know that's a really weird way to describe it but when you talk about food, sometimes just describing taste isn't enough, yeah?

So the Western Flyer is an awesome awesome travel bag. Part of what makes it awesome is its sturdiness. And sure, it's not too heavy when you consider the various carry-on bags out there. But. It is designed to pack for heftiness and sturdiness. Nothing collapses. Everything holds its shape. So the more you pack into it, the more it expands. I think you would have a very good idea IF YOU LIVED IN SEATTLE AND YOU COULD VISIT THEIR STORE TO CHECK IT OUT! Hehe.

I guess the point I'm getting at is that WF will feel like "luggage" (albeit a carry-on sized one).

The Synapse, on the other hand, is specifically designed for compactness. It does NOT feel like luggage at all. People are always amazed at how much you can stuff in it, and it still retains its compactness. And based on how well you can pack a PCSB, I suspect you will be able to pack the Synapse full of smaller organizer pouches and bags. In essence, even when it's full of stuff, the Synapse will still feel compact and you won't feel like you're carrying a piece of carry-on luggage waiting to board a plane.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I think that a Large Shop Bag, organized with Clear Packing Cubes, Packing Cube Shoulder Bags and Large, Medium and Small Stuff Sacks would be great. The side pockets are big enough for 2 or maybe 3 baby bottles in each space.

Believe Dorayme's pictures, this is a humongous bag, that can later double as toys, educational items and change of clothes carrier.

The Large Shop Bag would go under the double stroller or one of the single one or around the handles of the stroller(s).
    Then you can use the Synapse for your own things including drink and snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I think you would have a very good idea IF YOU LIVED IN SEATTLE AND YOU COULD VISIT THEIR STORE TO CHECK IT OUT! Hehe.
    You are so mean to me! I'm telling! ;-)

Thanks for the "mouth-feel" description! That helped me visualize and bumped the Synapse up a notch on my want list. :-)

Thanks for the idea, @backpack!

Our Chiccos have very small openings to the storage underneath with the seat backs adjusted for the carseats. We can stuff jackets and blankets under there, and I could shove packing cubes in there, but nothing larger than that. So maybe items organized in smaller bags, carried to the stroller in a shop bag, then the shop bag folded up while we stroll. I could see that working. And it gives me an excuse to buy more Dyneema - full of win! :-)

The Synapse is not comparable to the Western Flyer, I see it more in the line of a Co-Pilot size wise.

I believe that the Western Flyer would be the "perfect mini-suitcase for twins on the go to Grands", especially in winter or whenever it gets colder.

You can even have 2 Packing Cube Backpack in 2 colors permanently packed with packet of wipes , 2-4 receiving blankets, 2-4 burp cloths, changing pad and just update the sized stuff, the 16+ disposable diapers and 2 extra outfits (one per kid), according to the twin's growth spurs.

When the soft stuff in the back compartment is replenished, you can just zip it up, place the Western Flyer upright and load up the bottles supplies in the zippered front compartments, like bottles on one side and formula in the other.

Later on, the bottles and formulas can be replaced by juice boxes or sippy cups and packed snacks.

Which means this investment bag can grow with them. You might even think of using one in Forest when it comes out and do two sets of the same packing.

Thanks, @backpack. We send them to the grands almost every Sunday and they spend about 8 hours there at a time. (When they can sleep through the night we'll be allowed to drop them off for overnight stays.) Basically, I pack what they need for a day out knowing their caregivers will have access to a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom. The tote I use for this now is huge. I was hoping the WF could serve this purpose but do so more compactly and in a way that was easier to carry.

I have not read the entire 150-some-odd posts in this thread ;-) so apologies if somebody has already said this...
    For an every day, 1 baby diaper bag, the co-pilot looks pretty awesome to me.
    On front side goes the bottle
    On other front side goes the ziploc with wipes and butt cream
    In the back goes 4 diapers, 3 bibs (instead of receiving blanket--too big!), 1 change of clothes, changing pad

It looks like there might even be enough room for 3 or 4 cloth diapers in there...

With my kids, I had the enormous diaper bag that came with the equally enormous stroller. It was cubersome to lug around, and I never used even a 1/4 of the stuff. Most of the time, I used, maybe, 1 disposable (or 2 cloth). The thing is, I wasn't taking Baby out on a World Tour-- I went to the park, or shopping--trips that didn't last much longer than 3 hours. So for those trips -- ie: 99% of trips with Baby -- I only needed a small bag. I think the Co-Pilot would have been ideal - big enough for diapers, change pad, itty bitty clothing, but not so small that your smushing everything in.

It is interesting that Tom Bihn is going to come out with a diaper bag. My vote is that he keep it similar to the Co-Pilot :-)

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Thanks, @backpack. We send them to the grands almost every Sunday and they spend about 8 hours there at a time. (When they can sleep through the night we'll be allowed to drop them off for overnight stays.) Basically, I pack what they need for a day out knowing their caregivers will have access to a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom. The tote I use for this now is huge. I was hoping the WF could serve this purpose but do so more compactly and in a way that was easier to carry.
    I think the WF would be great in this capacity, or as your "car bag". With what you describe carrying, I think the WF will handle it and then some, and transition well past diapering. I don't think it would be good as a daily diaper bag. Since you like the PCSB's, it would be easy to use both together, or separate. (I still think the diapering "kit" of change pad, messies bag and insulated food bag would allow you to use the WF or any number of existing bags as the perfect travel system.
    I think the modular system and WF would work well long through the boys childhood too. As fewer dipes, bottles and burps are needed, clothing gets larger and you need to make room in the bag for matchbox cars, legos and bigger shoes. But the bag remains.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

hey thisisme! i've never used my co-pilot as a diaper bag, but had it been around when my son was born 6 years ago, it would have been a dream. i simply love my co-pilot - its versatility is unbelievable. i second your thoughts on keeping the diaper bag similar to the co-pilot!

Hi Darcy- figured I'd do a mid year check-in to see if there is any new information available on the Parental Unit diaper bag.

Thanks again for your time.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by photomatt View Post
    Hi Darcy- figured I'd do a mid year check-in to see if there is any new information available on the Parental Unit diaper bag.
    Not yet, but hopefully we can share some news soon. Thanks for checking!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Any news on the diaper bag? Just wondering. :-)

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0