Monolith zippers need better lining

Hi,

I just received my first ever Tom Bihn bag: a black and crimson Smart Alec with a size 4 crimson Monolith insert. I've only just begun to use the bag, but so far I'm quite pleased!

The one thing I've run into so far that does distress me is the lack of protection on the zippers on the Monolith. I cringe everytime my aluminum powerbook scrapes by them as I insert or remove it. I own a "SportFolio Sleeve" from Marware that I used in my old backpack explicitly to protect my laptop from its zippers. The nice thing about the sleeve is that its own zippers are lined with neoprene which extends out past the edge of the zippers, so the laptop never comes in contact with them when being inserted or removed from the sleeve.

I actually tried to continue using the sleeve and inserting it into the Monolith, but it doesn't fit. I even considered removing the padding from the Monolith and relying just on the sleeve's padding, but it appears that the Monolith's padding is sewn in. I'm not sure I'd end up going for that anyway, since the sleeve wasn't really meant to provide padding.

Anyway, my suggestion for the future would be to consider some sort of extended lining or other protection on the Monolith so that the laptop will never come into contact with the zippers. I haven't come up with a good solution yet for my own situation, but I'll figure it out. Maybe I'll try sewing on a neoprene liner if I'm feeling particularly ambitious.

Thanks!
    Neil

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Neil,
    I am working on a solution to this problem, and hope to encorporate it into the next batches of Monoliths that we make.
    Stay tuned to this forum for updates and availability.
    Last edited by Tom Bihn; 01-26-2004 at 12:25 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Arrow Update

All new Monoliths will now have padded flaps between your laptop and the zipper. The Size 4 Monolith is the first to have the padded flaps - by early March, all Monoliths should have them.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Hi,
    Are there any pictures of this new design available? And also, what is the word on replacements for existing Monolith owners? Thanks

The Monoliths that we've been selling for the past 4 years are not defective - we have sold thousands of them and very few complaints. It seems that the threat of the zipper injuring the laptop is more imagined than real; we've added the flaps to answer that fear. That said, we would be happy to send you, at no charge, a small velcro-in flap you can attach to the inside of your Monolith to protect your computer from the (evil) zipper.

Email me at darcy at tombihn.com and we'll hook you up!

Smile

This is great news! I really appreciate how you take feedback from your customers seriously.

Thanks again!
    Neil

Do the size 2 Monoliths have the padded flaps now?

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    No, not yet, but they will next batch. I'm not sure when that will be, but stay tuned.

Originally posted by Hmerly
    Do the size 2 Monoliths have the padded flaps now?
    I'd say it will be around mid-March.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0