Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Now, if I could get one of the straps to stop falling off my shoulder... guess that's the trade off - either the straps dig in and cut off circulation, or they are too free to move about - ha!
    Try this - I tuck one strap behind, over, and then slightly under the other strap. Does that make sense? That really helps them stay in place!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Any idea if these will be in-shop on Dec. 5th? (I note you're closed this Friday). It's buy-my-own-presents time! This and a large stuff sack - yum.

Now all I need to fill both bags is some more yarn (not really!) and diet Dr. Pepper (always)...
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Jill View Post
    I have both the Lux and the Utility Tote, and the Utility seems to be quite a bit larger than the Lux.
    Yes, the Utility Tote is quite a bit larger than the Lux. See this post comparing the two, and scroll down two posts to see Darcy's acknowledgement of this fact. I wrote that post before I saw the Utility Tote in person, and the reason that it's problematic making direct size comparisons between those bags based on the dimensions given on their respective product pages is indeed due to the flaring nature of the Utility Tote from base to top. They later added volume information, and the Utility Tote's volume is 24.8 liters vs. 15.5 liters for the Lux or Swift.

In fact, as Just says
    It's smaller! I love it! I need to go out and buy things with it RIGHT AWAY!
    it's slightly smaller than the Lux -- by about half an inch in width and height.

This is smaller than most of the "recyclable" shopping bags, but it's surprisingly flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    Any idea if these will be in-shop on Dec. 5th? (I note you're closed this Friday).
    Yes - we'll definitely have them on the 5th, as long as they haven't sold out by then!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Try this - I tuck one strap behind, over, and then slightly under the other strap. Does that make sense? That really helps them stay in place!
    Thanks Darcy.. I actually figured that one out after a few, but the same strategy doesn't work so well when the bag's empty (heh).. hey speaking of which, do we get a video demonstrating how to fold the bag into its own pocket? (Anyone?) Because I have failed miserably.

Thanks Darcy.. I actually figured that one out after a few, but the same strategy doesn't work so well when the bag's empty (heh).. hey speaking of which, do we get a video demonstrating how to fold the bag into its own pocket? (Anyone?) Because I have failed miserably.
    I'll try to take a cell phone video of this today/tomorrow...of course we have a fancy video camera, but I haven't really taught myself how to use it effectively - yet. :)

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Just,

I generally don't have an issue with the shoulder straps slipping, but a friend who was present when I got the Shop Bag does, and wanted flat handles without padding as a way to get around the problem. But she also finds this to some extent with the Lux when carried over shoulder. The claim was that the length of the padded handle section, which is straight and flat, combined with the more slippery surface of the Dyneema makes keeping the Shop Bag on the shoulder without slipping more of a problem.

I think one of the unique features of the Shop Bag is the padded handles combined with the strong, light-weight, foldable design using Dyneema. If you were willing to let your hands or shoulders take an uncomfortable weight burden, it would have been a lot easier to design a bigger bag. (Full disclosure: I'm one of the people who favored padded handles in the original discussions.) Maybe the addition of a thin, flat sewn-down section to the Poron handle might help? When carried on shoulder this might provide more traction, and when carried in your hand this might just wrap together with rest of the handle.

To fold the bag into its pocket, I start with the bag turned pocket side out. Then I fold it so that one pocket side with the sewn seams is facing up -- I push in the front and back panels as though I were trying to do a "flat pack" with only the black outer seam along the bottom, sides, and top of one pocket showing. If you start by holding the inside-out bag with one pocket side on the bottom and the other on the top, then let this collapse onto a table and tuck in all the bits that would stick beyond the black seams you'll see what I mean. Then, from that position, I turn one of the pockets inside out. Hold the flat pack so that the thumb of one hand is holding a point roughly under the seamed edge of the open pocket, and pull that edge towards the bottom of the pocket, so that the rest of the flat bag is now stuffed inside the pocket. Push down to straighten the inside edge of the inverted pocket. Then fold/roll in the remaining bits of bag, including the handles, that protrude from the top of the pocket for a neatly folded pack.

I've been waiting for someone to comment on the addition of the Sapphire/White combination to the color offerings on the Shop Bag page, but so far nobody has squeaked. Of course, I waited to include this in my order before posting .

Potential uses for the shop bag:

a) For university students ...
    Often the weight of lugging all the books I'd need to work at the library downtown would really hurt my back if carried in a backpack. I specifically bought the last Lux available to solve this problem. The Lux did the job but was often too big and had tons of extra space, which made it feel like kind of waste to use for that particular purpose.

Having used the wonderful shop bag for a variety of purposes since I got one, I have to say that this bag is an excellent addition to any university student's life. It is small and lightweight enough to leave in your daily school bag all the time, and the convenience of whipping it out when you're at the university library and found those five perfect books to help you finish your essay is excellent.

Another use for university students - in a lecture hall, the temperature is often extremely opposite to how it feels outside (ie. in the summer the AC is blasting, in the winter the heater is boiling). The shop bag can be used to carry the few lighter items needed to combat the temperature fluctuations that are too bulky to fit into a smaller day bag. Not everyone likes the idea of just getting a huge day bag and filling it to the brim, and the shop bag is the perfect solution to this problem.

b) For moms, of animals *and* children ...
    The shop bag is deceptively large in carrying capacity and can handle a lot of weight and oddly shaped items. I have used the shop bag as my travel accessory when I'm taking my two birds and two cats on the go somewhere. It hold everyone's food, a small litter pan and scooper, a small tupperware of litter, and a variety of toys.

For this reason, I think it would be a very useful accessory for mothers with toddlers as well - big enough to hold a variety of items, small enough to let the three year old carry and feel like s/he has their own stuff in their own bag.

c) For seniors ...
    Because of it's weight and padded handles, this bag is perfect for seniors' shopping excursions. My nanny always ends up lugging those huge plastic basket contraptions when she goes to food basics or shoppers drug mart to pick up a few things for just herself. The baskets are heavy and unwieldy for someone who has bad arthritis in their hands.

The shop bag is an excellent solution, I think. She can fold it up, even in just a square and not the fancy way if her hands can't manage it, and put it into her purse. Then, while she's ambling around the store she can put items into the shop bag, which is light, comfortable to carry, and very strong.

Sorry I rambled so much, but for Christmas I bought three shop bags, one for an individual of each of the types listed above. I just thought it might give people a good idea about who can use the shop bags and for what, from someone who has been using one for just over a month
    Last edited by rodrigues; 12-04-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Loving life with my Imago.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I've been waiting for someone to comment on the addition of the Sapphire/White combination to the color offerings on the Shop Bag page, but so far nobody has squeaked. Of course, I waited to include this in my order before posting .
    Oooh, Sapphire/White! I might have to buy one now! I've really wanted a tom bihn tote but the Lux and the Utility tote seemed too expensive for what I wanted it for (essentially to replace my canvas trader joe's bag with something a tiny bit more sturdy).

I'd love to see pictures of the three totes side by side, actually. Wait. Does the Lux not exist anymore? I can't believe I never noticed that. Then I guess I'd love to see a comparison of the Swift (I crochet), the Utility Tote and the Shop Bag.

I just want to add that I love my solar bag. It seems to hold even more than the Lux although it looks smaller.

This belongs somewhere else but I've been using my solar stuff sack with it since I have several others in use with knitting. It's a perfect combo. I attach the sack to the inside of the shop bag and use it when I get soup to go or something potentially "leaky". The sack keeps liquids contained and away from everything else in the bag.

I think the Shop Bag would be ideal for vacations involving baggage limitation.
    (mostly using planes)

In the past I have been seriously annoyed to have to choose between my Large Cafe Bag and my Swift as a personal item but the Shop Bag can become a light weight Swift in a jiffy.

With the Brain Bag/Aeronaute/Western Flyer as main carryon, Packing Cube Backpack and Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag as packing aids can be transformed into light weight sightseeing bags along with the Shop Bag for souvenir gathering or carrying a light weight sweater or/and a rain shell.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I think the Shop Bag would be ideal for vacations involving baggage limitation.
    (mostly using planes)

In the past I have been seriously annoyed to have to choose between my Large Cafe Bag and my Swift as a personal item but the Shop Bag can become a light weight Swift in a jiffy.

With the Brain Bag/Aeronaute/Western Flyer as main carryon, Packing Cube Backpack and Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag as packing aids can be transformed into light weight sightseeing bags along with the Shop Bag for souvenir gathering or carrying a light weight sweater or/and a rain shell.
    Great idea. Especially now that they come in solar. My convertible shoulder bag was just not attractive enough for me to use for sightseeing. The solar is such a nice color that I would feel comfortable using it any time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrae View Post
    Great idea. Especially now that they come in solar. My convertible shoulder bag was just not attractive enough for me to use for sightseeing. The solar is such a nice color that I would feel comfortable using it any time.
    The solar color is growing on me every time I look at it. I'm really not a big fan of yellow, but... I have to admit it's pretty. I wish there were more pictures of it with people so I could get a better sense of what it looks like.

I just came across this bag and I love it! I LOVE yellow and can't wait to order one...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Quick Update with the Shop Bag

I have had this bag since late November and it has a permanent place in my armamentum of bags. My wife or I use this bag almost daily to carry all manner of things ranging from food to wine to beer to garden supplies to aquarium supplies to patient/office files and so on. The list is probably endless. We have a load of grocery store reusable bags - the Shop Bag always is the first to be used - it is more versatile, more durable (and more stylish) than any of the others. The bag has been through lots and looks brand new. A bottle of wine broke in the bag (my fault - what a waste!!!) and the bag cleaned up with no problem. Without a doubt, this is the most useful sack I have - and that's including my daily work bags (Ristretto or ID). Thanks guys for such a wonderful bag.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0