Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Glad that you guys like the bag from the first peek! There are a few design additions to the bag that require new factory tools. This will delay the bag a little bit (think October) but it will be worth it!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Also, just so we are all on the same page, our friend modeling the bag above is eight years old and about five feet tall.

Ooh, I really like the look of that. I currently have a canvas Trader Joe's Bag, which I'm really fond of but don't use that often because I feel like the canvas will get dirty too easily, and then I have a bunch of cheap $1 Shaw's reusable bags, which I am fond of, but at least one of them is starting to rip now since I use them a lot more these days.

I'd love to have something more durable and comfortable for when I go grocery shopping. I walk to do pretty much all my shopping, actually, and I've found that tote bags are so much more conducive to a comfortable walk than plastic bags. I usually have my Imago with me, and then I carry two totes.

I'm assuming that like the Utility Tote, the Lux, and the Swift, this will be open at the top? I have to admit that someday I really want to buy a tote that I have the option of closing. I've had bad experiences traveling with open bags (nearly lost my laptop in a plane once... completely my fault but still) which makes me hesitant to use totes for anything more than as shopping bags. I should probably start looking for a purse.

Super Moderator
    I wonder if this bag's introduction has anything to do with the just-passed 20-cent tax on grocery bags in Seattle ;) It certainly might influence the (local) sales!

(This law is a bit like smoking bans, to me -- I dislike it, from a cumudgeonly libertarian viewpoint, but don't mind certain of the results.)

And 8 years old seems really young to be 5' tall! Though my niece may hit that before she turns 9, too.

timothy

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    This law is a bit like smoking bans, to me -- I dislike it, from a cumudgeonly libertarian viewpoint, but don't mind certain of the results.
    My sentiments exactly.

I've never been one to bring my own bags to the grocery store, but after shopping with a friend that does, it opened my eyes a bit. She got a few free canvas bags from work (she works for Coca-Cola, and they have plenty of great perks for employees), but a Tom Bihn solution might be enough to push me over the edge. (There's no impending risk of a grocery bag tax here in Atlanta to force the issue.)

Any idea of how small this bag will be when folded up? My SO says she'd like a bag she could stuff into a purse and then bring out in case she forgets one of her canvas bags. I assume this would fold pretty small but not sure if would be small enough for such a purpose.

ETA?

I thought I would revive this thread and ask about an ETA for this bag.

I'm heading out to BC (from Toronto) and my friend promised to drive me over the border to visit the Tom Bihn store on the weekend of the 4th/5th of October. I was hoping to pick up a dyneema tote or three, at least one in blue and white. What are my odds of that happening?

Also, Darcy - what is the chance of an Aeronaut in another colour next year? If they are mediocre or better, I may wait and gamble. If the chances are less than 25%, I'll just get one in steel to match my Imago.

A final question - should I email you ahead of time to place an order on hold, just to make sure the stuff I want is in the store when I arrive for it? I'm going to have a LONG laundry list of bags and accessories that my friends and family have requested. Ahhh ... the burden of being a Tom Bihn promoter!

Thanks for everything!
    Loving life with my Imago.

rodrigues,

Our Factory Showroom is now open on Fridays only. If you could make it to the showroom on Friday, October 3rd, I am pretty sure we could have a Dyneema Grocery Tote (it's smaller than a Utility Tote) available for you to at least see. Maybe even one (or more) to buy!

I'm pretty certain you won't see the Aeronaut in another color anytime soon, if ever. There was a slim chance we would be offering a blue 1050 denier ballistic nylon but that now seems very unlikely.

Our factory showroom is next door to our factory and product storage, so if we don't have it there, it's out of stock, period. But you're welcome to email me a list so that I can prepare everything for you. :)

If you can, come by between 11am - 2:30pm so you can see the factory in action!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

We have a limited number of Market Totes (Dyneema grocery totes!) available for testing in Steel/White and new Yellow/White Dyneema. The first handful of people to PM me with their address will receive one. :)

Aw, man, I am sure I am too late at this point. :( Oh well. :)
    Proud owner of; Ego (first run) in Black/Steel/Deep Blue; medium organizer pouches in cayenne and crimson; small organizer pouches in olive, pink and storm blue; mini organizer pouch in sapphire; quarter packing cube; ego strips in crimson, plum, blue glitter and sapphire.

Volunteer Moderator

Wow, the new yellow dyneema totes look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I didn't envision that the yellow dyneema would look so vibrant. And there really are camera inserts in the works -- neat!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I didn't envision that the yellow dyneema would look so vibrant. And there really are camera inserts in the works -- neat!
    It's a great yellow. I'm currently using one of the Market Totes as my everyday bag, and every time I look at it, it makes me happy!

I love this tote bag. It squishes up so nice and is the perfect size for carrying as an extra bag for that stuff you may not need all day. I needed something smaller than the Lux for lugging fewer items to and from work, and this bag fit the bill perfectly.

For example, it's good to carry things you want to take to work or a friend's house and then leave there. Once you dump the stuff at your office, fold up the bag and stuff it into your cafe bag.

It's also excellent for impromptu shopping of any form - groceries, art supplies, clothes, books, anything. Just pull it out of your day bag and there you go.

Honestly, I love this bag. Thanks again Darcy!

ps. My friend used it for a week and also loved it. She said not to close up one of the pockets with a zipper (as I had suggested), but also expressed concern at ruining the piping that gives the bag it's shape when she folds it and stuffs it into her purse.
    Loving life with my Imago.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It's a great yellow. I'm currently using one of the Market Totes as my everyday bag, and every time I look at it, it makes me happy!
    I swear, I need to move to Seattle and go to work at Tom Bihn. Collecting bags is becoming a hobby for a lot of us. I wish I could afford to get all of the ones I want. Between 1 Super Ego with accessories, and 2 Medium Cafe bags, plus one small cafe bag. I though I was done.
    Now I want a Checkpoint Flyer (not because I travel a lot; but because it looks really cool, and would work as an everyday bag also. I also want to get an Aeronaut.
    For sure I'll be first in line to get a garment bag as soon as Tom designs one. An Aeronaut or Western Flyer will be on that order as well.

This is nuts! I really do like these bags!
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0