Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Well I already weighed in on padded handles, but let me add another idea: mesh.

One of my favorite farmer's market bags for a long time was a mesh backpack made by one of the big producers. Mesh is good for a lot of kinds of produce and stuff that likes to breathe. Also, it renders the finished product light and easily compacted into a small bundle.

Personally, I would always take a bag like the lux for heavy stuff, and carry the other bags inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Would it work to have a non padded handle bag with d-rings at the sides so an Absolute Strap or organizer pouch could be clipped on if/when needed?

Lightweight handles could hang down or be tucked in bag to stay out of the way when the Absolute Strap was 'on-duty'.
    That's absolutely what I expect

Not to sound harsh but I really don't see the need for extra comfort in a grocery tote. Anything is more comfortable then a paper or plastic bag right? Plus, how far are you really going to be hauling? You can use the cart at the store and then it's just the car to where you live. Worst situation for me was when I lived on a 3rd floor apartment. Now it's just garage to kitchen - I hardly need padded handles for that.
    Wow. See, not everyone drives to the grocery store, so we have to carry our groceries farther than from the garage to the kitchen.

I concur with eristick that not everyone drives to the store -- in an effort to drive less and less, we usually walk to the grocery store nearby, and take a bus to the farmers market.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom is currently designing a lightweight Utility Tote style shopping bag....stay tuned!!
    I stay tuned, do you have any news?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ratdeau View Post
    I stay tuned, do you have any news?
    Tom made a really cool prototype of an ultra-light grocery tote. Now that he has more time on his hands (after completing the Smart Alec and Ristretto designs and almost being done with the Synapse) we might hear more news on this design soon!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Another update: I've actually been using the ultra-light Dyneema tote as an everyday bag for several weeks. It's now been taken away from me for further design work, which I'm sad about because it's a great bag: perfect size, so light, packs small inside of a larger bag, very tough, etc.

There are a few design additions to the bag that require new factory tools. This will delay the bag a little bit (think October) but it will be worth it!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Another update: I've actually been using the ultra-light Dyneema tote as an everyday bag for several weeks. It's now been taken away from me for further design work, which I'm sad about because it's a great bag: perfect size, so light, packs small inside of a larger bag, very tough, etc.

There are a few design additions to the bag that require new factory tools. This will delay the bag a little bit (think October) but it will be worth it!
    Thanks for the news. I hope to see it soon.

Any pictures of the new bag in action?
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Note that the final bag will look different, but the size will be the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When?? When?? I want one!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Thumbs up

OK, my wife just said, "OMG! That bag's really nice." Then she asked, "...what's ultra-light Dyneema?" I had to laugh. I clicked on a few links so she could read what it was. There's a lot of information right here in the forums.
    I fear my whole family is addicted to TB bags. Actually I'm really glad I found you.
    Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

How are the straps attached to the bag? From the picture it seems they are just sewn into the bag instead of going around the bottom. If the straps don't go around the bottom of the bag I'd feel unsafe with a heavy load like groceries or something.

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelb View Post
    How are the straps attached to the bag? From the picture it seems they are just sewn into the bag instead of going around the bottom. If the straps don't go around the bottom of the bag I'd feel unsafe with a heavy load like groceries or something.
    Don't worry, it's Dyneema we speek about. The Aeronaut's back strap are sewn on Dyneema and even with a heavy load, everything is perfect.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Exactly: we've tried to tear the Dyneema fabric and it doesn't tear. We bartack where the handles are sewn in as well, so even me, the ever-paranoid-of -product-failure, is satisfied.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0