Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Some thoughts on your "inside" joke

I realize your label is old news, but when you're surfing around researching other stuff, you sometimes happen on something odd you weren't looking for.

I just want to know, after reading the company statement, "how dumb do you think we all are?" The note is referring to your company president?
    Yeah, sure!

I will state for the record: I'm not a Bush promoter; I don't think he's a rocket scientist (which doesn't by itself, make him much different from 99% of ALL politicians); and I disagree with a lot of the actions he's done, including the handling of Iraq.

That being said, I also hate hypocrisy, and that is what your mealy-mouth statement about the label obviously is. If you hate the president and want to announce it in some small way to the world, that's your right.

I don't think the country's world image is going to be made better for it. There's enough anti-American sentiment as it is; why do you want more?

Do you delude yourselves into thinking that Bush will be removed from office because of negative world feelings? Similar to the whiners that still insist (as I've read even on this site) that he's never been rightly elected? (even considering the second time?) Whiners are another thing I can't abide.

I would laugh at the label if it was truly an "inside" joke. In fact, I did laugh at it. An inside joke, as the name implies, should stay on the "inside". By perpetuating it, you only make yourselves look more sophomoric and childish.

I believe in your right of free speech to say whatever you want. I also believe that with all rights, there is a responsibility to use them correctly. My personal belief is that you are not.

I won't buy any of your products. I will strongly encourage anyone I speak with who is looking for similar products to explore other brands. That is my freedom, and I exercise it fully.

Your hyping of the issue is strictly a money-based grab for more attention to your little company so that you will sell more products. Is your message really stemming from some sort of world apology, or is it mainly motivated by greed? I think the answer is most obvious. Peace to you all in your hearts.
    0 0

"Whiners are another thing I can't abide."

As Scott McClellan said today at the White House, what you're doing is "nothing more than rehashing an old issue that was resolved long ago".

If you're not whining, what is it exactly that you are doing?
    0 0

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyx
    I also hate hypocrisy, and that is what your mealy-mouth statement about the label obviously is. If you hate the president and want to announce it in some small way to the world, that's your right.

I believe in your right of free speech to say whatever you want. I also believe that with all rights, there is a responsibility to use them correctly. My personal belief is that you are not.
    Somehow the first quoted paragraph and the second indicate a fundamental intellectual disconnect. The critical word for which I'm not getting your meaning is "correctly" in the second paragraph. It could be that we differ on the meaning of the term. I'm not asking for your definition, since I don't really care about the answer.

I think the label is harmless fun. It's called "humor". Here, let me give you definitions of the term. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with it. (thanks to American Heritage)
    1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness:
    2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement
    3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing or comical

It's humor. It's satire (that's another tough word, but we can get to that another time). It's meant to make one smile. If you don't find it humorous, that's ok, but you should at least recognize the genre when you encounter it.

It's a JOKE. Lighten UP.
    It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.
    0 0

Your hyping of the issue is strictly a money-based grab for more attention to your little company so that you will sell more products.
    Seriously, who cares? I don't know of too many businesses out there that wouldn't take advantage of every opportunity to sell more product! That is, after all, the goal of most businesses that produce products to sell.
    0 0

The courts have established that there is only one "incorrect" use of free speech, and that is speech that can reasonably be expected to cause immediate physical danger, such as yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

If you think it's morally wrong to use politics to sell products or services, that's your prerogative, and you can choose your bag based on the political statements or lack thereof of the company making your bag. Seems silly to me, but that's your choice to make.

I'm not clear on why you felt compelled to come to this forum and announce this, however. This doesn't strike me as constructive in any way. Tom Bihn will be able to see via their sales results whether this helped or hurt; they don't need to know whether you personally are buying their products.
    0 0

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyx
    I realize your label is old news, but when you're surfing around researching other stuff, you sometimes happen on something odd you weren't looking for.

I won't buy any of your products. I will strongly encourage anyone I speak with who is looking for similar products to explore other brands. That is my freedom, and I exercise it fully.

Your hyping of the issue is strictly a money-based grab for more attention to your little company so that you will sell more products. Is your message really stemming from some sort of world apology, or is it mainly motivated by greed? I think the answer is most obvious. Peace to you all in your hearts.
    I found the Bihn product line through a website that was working in dispelling myths. Having a laugh over various odd myths, and a blink at the ones that were found true, I clicked on the next 'myth' in procession, a label that "apologizes for our stupid president." I thought it was false, and continued to read on, discovered it was 'true', and laughed.

But when I googled for "Tom Bihn" to back the story up, I read review after review, praising the construction of the bag. Finally, I went to the Tom Bihn site, and saw the bags themselves. I bought myself a Buzz. Later I went to the shop in Seattle and bought a Cafe bag. And now a Freudian Slip. Later this week, I fully intend to buy a Monolith and either an ID or an Emperor builder.

I'm into Bihn-bags for their great construction, not that label. Hell, half the time I can't even remember the label. Although sometimes I pull it out and show it to French literate folk and we share a small laugh.
    0 0