Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: That Wonderful Label

Originally posted by buick1962
    Geez- I wish someone in the U.S. had the nerve to do this. What a smile it brought to me. Never mind 'the boycott' by narrow minded, myopic republicans. They are notorious outwardly self righteous and inwardly the worst criminals on the planet. Whatever they boycott, I will make up for by buying 10 times as many.
    What are you talking about ? You do know that these labeled bags are made in the US and sold in the US right ? Or did I misunderstand you ?

Cobos
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!
    0 0

Label reply

I wish someone (more companies) had the nerve to write it in English.
    From William Shakespeare:

"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of
    war
    in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic
    fervor,
    for patriotism is indeed a double-edged
    sword.
    It both emboldens the blood, just as it
    narrows the mind...

And when the drums of war have reached a
    fever pitch and the blood
    boils with hate and the mind has closed, the
    leader will have no
    need in seizing the rights of the citizenry.
    Rather, the citizenry,
    infused with fear and blinded with
    patriotism, will offer up all of
    their rights unto the leader, and gladly so.

How do I know?

For this is what I have done.

And I am Caesar."
    0 0

I actually think it's way cooler in French and in such a hidden place than in plain English at the front of the bag... It's a lot more subtle for one, and it's like an easter egg, it has more power because of it's subtelty, or so I think anyway :)
    But I'm not even American so who am I to talk..

Cobos
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!
    0 0

reply to Bear

The U.S. has surpassed the number that Saddam had killed. The number exceeds 100,000 Iraqis killed by the U.S. war. Are you unclear as to how war is conducted? And why would you think that someone who is against a war that was unprovoked, is a liberal? So let's see, you haven't met any republicans that regret what has happened? Are you saying they are just obstinate lemmings that will blindly follow? Hmmm, interesting.

Education has it's perks. Try it.

"Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

Our government doesn't deserve it.

war
    fervor,
    sword.
    narrows the mind...

leader will have no
    Rather, the citizenry,

How do I know?

And I am Caesar."
    0 0

Forum Member

Re: That Wonderful Label

Originally posted by buick1962
    Geez- I wish someone in the U.S. had the nerve to do this. What a smile it brought to me. Never mind 'the boycott' by narrow minded, myopic republicans. They are notorious outwardly self righteous and inwardly the worst criminals on the planet. Whatever they boycott, I will make up for by buying 10 times as many.
    Again -- I'm hardly a posterboy apologist for the "Right" -- but it's rhetoric like this I simply don't understand. So, presuming you're speaking for the more open, tolerant, and "liberal minded, that's your "open minded" rant, right?

Maybe the so-called "tolerant" view is really the more incoherent one -- i.e. "I'm tolerant of all views and positions, so as long as I agree with them." I know the far right loves to construct horrible labels of people, but when you make the terribly broad stroked comment of "worst criminals on the planet, myopic, narrow minded" you certainly haven't helped the cause. Maybe you should rethink your ideology.
    0 0

The U.S. has surpassed the number that Saddam had killed.
    Absolutely not true.

The number exceeds 100,000 Iraqis killed by the U.S. war.
    Yes -- this sure makes a good emotion-getter, but the fact is that this number you mention (a figure recently calculated/reported by a certain organization/group using extremely error-prone methods) is unproven and highly questionable as to its accuracy.
    0 0

http://www.google.com/search?q=numbe...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

and
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/10/29/iraq.deaths/

and from last year.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...03/MN98747.DTL

and this is how it's done.

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/war.../stat173.shtml

even if the number is 1/10th of that reported - it is mind boggling. imagine the world trade center deaths 10 fold, then times that by whatever number you like. and you're talking about boycotting a bag? are you really that numb. NO one is saying saddam was a good guy. but simply because we don't agree with someone's politics does not give us the right to steal their lunch money! you heard it from your president's mouth - there were no weapons of mass destruction, therefore no imminent threat - and no reason to invade. the UN was doing their job quite nicely and we should have let them complete it. i am amazed when people blindly follow a leader without assessing the situation for themselves. especially when that person has proven to us, the american people, not to mention the world, he has the vocabulary of a 2nd grader and the reasoning skills of a bully. i don't know about you, but i want my boss at work, and most assuredly my president, to be smarter than i am.

and you who speaks of tolerance, voicing an opinion is not being intolerant. being tolerant can also be the path to failure... ask the jews before wwII - who were so tolerant - where'd it get 'em? dead is where it got 'em. ask the wife who gets the tar beat out of her time and again. where'd it get her? a few visits to the emergency room and one last visit to the morgue. there is a time to be tolerant and a time to act. with this chance act.

There is nothing stable in the world; uproar's your only music."

--John Keats, *Letters of John Keats,*

maggie

war
    fervor,
    sword.
    narrows the mind...

leader will have no
    Rather, the citizenry,

How do I know?

And I am Caesar."
    0 0

being tolerant can also be the path to failure... ask the jews before wwII - who were so tolerant - where'd it get 'em? dead is where it got 'em.
    The UN being "tolerant" of Saddam was the path to failure... ask Saddam's civilians where the UN/world "tolerance" of Saddam got 'em. Dead at Saddam's order is where it got 'em. And you're comparing Bush with what happened to the Jews? Keep talking -- the lack of rationalization is shining forth quite clearly.

and you're talking about boycotting a bag?
    I'm not, but there's nothing wrong with people who choose to do it, either. I've never purchased from this company before, and most likely won't ever -- my comments pertain to the mindless comment posted on their tag.

are you really that numb.
    No.
    I see the broad picture of what's going on over there.

NO one is saying saddam was a good guy. but simply because we don't agree with someone's politics does not give us the right to steal their lunch money!
    Well, I could agree with that IF it pertained to the coalition action in Iraq -- but we didn't go to war "simply because" we don't agree with someone's politics.

you heard it from your president's mouth - there were no weapons of mass destruction, therefore no imminent threat - and no reason to invade.
    Guess you don't know all the reasons action was taken, and it seems you're forgetting that not only did our OWN intelligence indicate that WMDs were there, but SO DID the UN, and the intelligence info of various other countries. Even our previous administration (in addition to recently-defeated Kerry) said as such. And what has been discovered there is plenty evidence of his wrongdoings; but I'm sure all of that will be excused away by the Bush haters as well.

the UN was doing their job quite nicely
    Now THAT is funny!!!

i am amazed when people blindly follow a leader without assessing the situation for themselves. especially when that person has proven to us, the american people, not to mention the world, he has the vocabulary of a 2nd grader and the reasoning skills of a bully.
    Funny that you presume those of us who support the Iraq action haven't assessed the situation for ourselves. I am amazed when people blindly follow their hate without being intellectually honest.

i want . . . . my president, to be smarter than i am.
    Don't worry.
    He is.
    Last edited by Cyn; 11-13-2004 at 06:31 AM.
    0 0

The freeing Label

quote:
    being tolerant can also be the path to failure... ask the jews before wwII - who were so tolerant - where'd it get 'em? dead is where it got 'em.
    The UN being "tolerant" of Saddam was the path to failure... ask Saddam's civilians where the UN/world "tolerance" of Saddam got 'em. Dead at Saddam's order is where it got 'em. And you're comparing Bush with what happened to the Jews? Keep talking -- the lack of rationalization is shining forth quite clearly.
    ---------------------
    please try to follow along, cyn. i'm not comparing bush to hitler. hitler was far more crafty and intellectual and hateful than bush.both are/were horribly ignorant and obstinate. bush is a rube. bush believes his is the only religion and only if you have the same beliefs are you going to heaven? funny, from what i recall, lying and murder are not tickets into heaven .. know matter what god you believe in.
    ------------------
    quote:
    and you're talking about boycotting a bag?!
    I'm not, but there's nothing wrong with people who choose to do it, either. I've never purchased from this company before, and most likely won't ever -- my comments pertain to the mindless comment posted on their tag.

mindless comment? i hardly think it meets the criteria for a mindless comment. oh, expressing yourself is now a mindless act? i suppose you are one of the people that believes if you are not a fan of bush that you must be un-american? like he is the symbol of america - please. he is exactly the opposite of the american ideal. crack open a history book (and not one they use to teach in the south. where they have edited out the part that makes them look bad- and where they are afraid to teach evolution), crack open a real history, government book and maybe a newspaper (a credible one) and really read it and then let me know your opinion.
    --------------------------------
    quote:
    are you really that numb.

No.
    I see the broad picture of what's going on over there.
    -----------------------------------
    unfortunately you don't. you haven't a clue.
    ----------------------------------

quote:
    NO one is saying saddam was a good guy. but simply because we don't agree with someone's politics does not give us the right to steal their lunch money!
    cyn, seriously, have you done any delving into this? if you want a broad picture i advise you really listen to both sides and do your own investigating.

WE gave WMDS to saddam, yes we gave WMD's to saddam. saddam was our ally from 1978 - 1990. we gave weapons to iraq and iran. when iraq and iran bombed each other and saddam killed thousands of Kurds and committed atrocities on his own people, we couldn't care less because he was our ally. now saddam is our enemy? how convenient.
    Guess you don't know all the reasons action was taken, and it seems you're forgetting that not only did our OWN intelligence indicate that WMDs were there, but SO DID the UN, and the intelligence info of various other countries. Even our previous administration (in addition to recently-defeated Kerry) said as such. And what has been discovered there is plenty evidence of his wrongdoings; but I'm sure all of that will be excused away by the Bush haters as well.
    -------------------------------
    dear, the only reason to go to war is imminent threat. everybody knows that. there are other ways to deal with hateful leaders if they are not a threat to us. we cut off aid, we impose tariffs, we cut off trade. in essence, we run their economy into the ground and the citizens of the country take care of it from there. and trust me they will. it's called an uprising.
    --------------------------------

quote:
    the UN was doing their job quite nicely

wait, are you serious with this comment, or is this a joke? i hope it's a joke. so, i won't take the bait.

quote:
    i want . . . . my president, to be smarter than i am.
    i can't wait for the day for him to prove it.

'souverninity', look it up in dictionary. oh, it's not there- weird. yep, that is an actual 'word' the prez used to describe a sovran nation. there are tons of 'em. bushspeak, bushims, there are books and dvds and endless articles regarding this. no other figure, let alone president has had laughable, quotable press. but, i suppose those people are just bush haters, eh?

tell me how far off i am on this. you are from the midwest/south in your 20/30 and are some what religious, or perhaps feverishly so. white and more than likely you watch fox 'news'.

and just so you know. NORTH KOREA HAS NUCLEAR WEAPONS! there's no need to investigate, no need for the UN - we know this is true and we invaded Irag instead? saudi arabia is as bad as saddam - are we there, nope. can't wait for an explanation on this.

and who can forget this episode in history.

In the Iran-Contra Affair, United States President Ronald Reagan's administration secretly sold arms to Iran, which was engaged in a bloody war with its neighbor Iraq from 1980 to 1988 (see Iran-Iraq War), and diverted the proceeds to the Contra rebels fighting to overthrow the leftist and democratically-elected Sandinista government of Nicaragua. Those sales thus had a dual goal: appeasing Iran, which had influence with militant groups that held several American hostages in Lebanon and supported bombings in Western European countries, and funding an anti-communist guerrilla war in Nicaragua.

Both transactions were contrary to acts of Congress, which prohibited the funding of the Contras and the sale of weapons to Iran. In addition, both activities violated UN sanctions.
    -
    guess who's got nuclear power now, yep, you guessed it, IRAN.

and stop calling it 'iraq action', it is a war. call it what it is - no matter how ugly it sounds use the word. it isn't an action, it isn't a conflict, it isn't a spat. it is a war. that's what it is.

-maggie

war
    fervor,
    sword.
    narrows the mind...

leader will have no
    Rather, the citizenry,

How do I know?

And I am Caesar."
    0 0

I can see the intellectual irrationality for what it is (and the garbled posting method), but thanks for the failed attempt to make your point. :cool:
    0 0

Red face Just another Marketing Scam

I'm guessing this is a cheap little marketing scam to sell products internationally since you apparently aren't good enough for the U.S. market. If you think the DeMos in the U.S. can support you, you may not have seen "the map" of Bush country.

Never heard of you and I'll forget you once I post this. Ciao!
    0 0

Bag

perhaps you should visit this site for an actual breakdown of 'the bush map'. it should help put things into perspective for you.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/

war
    fervor,
    sword.
    narrows the mind...

leader will have no
    Rather, the citizenry,

How do I know?

And I am Caesar."
    0 0

:sigh:

This topic dies hard. Can't we all agree to disagree? It's a rare day when people change their minds about anything as heated as politics, and doesn't benefit anyone. As for the correctness of information, everyone has a different source, and everyone thinks theirs is the most correct. Also, there really should be a size limit on sigs (looking at you, Buick). Anyways, take care everyone, and keep these words from the guys in War in mind:

Why can't we be friends?

Kenneth
    0 0

Love the label

It is a riot that someone had the guts to make a label like that in this age of revenge-mongering and guantanamoism.

After Bush's Axis-of-Evil speech, I was one of those who was cleaning up the damage caused when the locals became enraged and the American Chamber of Commerce was attacked and ransacked in Seoul.

The behavior of Mr. Bush and his group of strange advisors in Washington threaten our national security. Never before have I witnessed such national hubris and isolation, the executive mentality of drunks driving our foreign policy.

I wish Mr. Bush decides to find a new line of work and sanity is restored to our Executive branch.

As for the effects of the label, let the consumer's free market decide.

- Collin
    0 0

Collin, I couldn't agree with you more!
    Thanks and hope you're having a peaceful Holiday.

-Maggie
    0 0