Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Well darn, now I wish the small Cafe bags were shipping NOW. :)
    0 0

Smile How Tom can win back GOP customers!

With new product lines aimed at "patriotic" Americans, like:

1) A new line of "Skoal" and "Copenhagen" belt-packs.
    2) Gun cases!
    3) Red, white and blue bodybags - no more boring black.
    4) Litterbags to hold scraps of Constitution.
    5) "Brief"cases with genuine skidmarks.
    6) "Flag tags" to coverup chimp-insulting labels.

And best of all,

The "Chimpsack" - a duffle-bag sized overnight bag with American flag motif and "Bush is my bag!" emblem.

How can you lose? Feel free to help yourself to any of these ideas, Tom - consider it payment for the belly-laughs I got reading your posts.
    0 0

HI evryone,

First time I read about the news I though it was just an hoax, but I today realize it is true !!! how funny. I never heard about tom bihn before, and if the bags are too expensive I will certainely never buy one from this company.

I am not really in phase with this kind of action: he says that he disagree with Bush (or maybe not what the hell) so I will buy his bags (or not) it is to my point of view as stupid as saying french don't agree with us so let's put french wine in the toilets.

I am afraid that this is some kind of cheat advertising and that is the people who are (by principal) against it witch are the best sellers. If there was no polemic I am sure this story would be already forgoten.

If Someone wants to speak here about policy I will just quote a coment from an american I heard on tv : "Before G.W.Bush the world in big majority was liking and suporting USA, when he was elected it didn't change, after 9/11 the whole world was supporting the USA. And now... what to say about his foreign policy" I do agree on that and I don't believe this is the only fault of such an insignifiant country as france part of the old continent, but that it must have taken an hard work from bush to get there.

By the way I am french, I didn't say that from the begining to let you read my message without pre-thinking good or bad or whatever. I love the USA, I myself studied there (for the one ready to say that I use USA to get education I can swear I paid the big price for that) I have a lot of friends there and I suffer for the young boys in Irak. But from my point of view, being patriotic is supporting your contry for the goodness of the country, not blindly following a president, you had the courage and the strenght to get your independance in the past, please fight for that, be independant, make the difference between a man (or a group) and YOUR country witch is your everyday life, your culture, your education and the one you give to your children and know that freedom is not something to be given but something to take (not my sentence I admit) Be free to choose your life and the one of your children.

Everything is not good or bad I am not fully disaprooving the war in Irak since it bring the end of saddam and I don't always agree on french politics in this conflict either. But I act following my conscience and for the future of my children..

PS : Tom, next time can you write a note about kyoto's protocol !!!

Edit : found it : "freedom is not something to be given but something to take" is from T.E. Lawrence
    Last edited by Guill; 04-26-2004 at 12:45 AM.
    0 0

Talking Before you post something you should learn how to spell correctly.

Originally posted by noblsavage
    Companies may choose to be political in their advertising, and may do so by insulting the President of the US and the people who voted for him if that is their wish. You may say what you wish and not worry about any consequences.

One small consquence is the loss of myself as your customer for anything I know you make. See, I must now place your company in the same catagory as I would the KKK: an entity that seeks to promote it's political agenda any way it can.

I salute your individual employees for whatever political opinion they have personally, if it were simply left to quality, niether that nor my own politics would have any bearing on my decision on buying any of your products. You didn't leave it at that and interjected your companies opinion and then placed it in french so as to not alert your true bias to those Americans you seek to insult.

You got caught and have lost my business. I would never put my politics above my customers, nor would I ever do something hoping they were too stupid to see my bias. I depend on my customers intelligence by choosing my products and services over others.

I am sure your french and german sales will offset the loss of customers like myself, so I have little doubt you and your staff are laughing at your inside joke while you sweat that your explination will soothe the same ones you tried to fool with your tag. Live and lern, right??
    0 0

I have lived for quite a while now, but I don't think I know how to lern.
    0 0

It's curious: since Bush told Iraqi insurgents back in July of last year to "Bring it on!", we've lost 500 more troops there.
    500 young Americans.
    Think about it.
    And Tom Bihn's little tag is endangering our troops?
    Yea, right.
    0 0

Re: Tag--Clearly Meant to Refer to Bush

Originally posted by Oracle

I can guarantee you no Republicans will be buying these bags until a proper apology is made. [/B]

That's okay....don't worry Mr. Bihn, we liberals, democrats, greens and progressives of every stripe will now be buying your products. Already they have seen a huge upsurge in sales! We lefties have dollars too, and will spend them to support what we believe in.:D
    0 0

Even if this is just one big advertising scheme, it's a good one ;)
    Thank you for reminding the world that US opinion isn't systematic in its choices, that in a big country you can get many diverging points of view... (pity some can't see farther than bush's comments though... "The majority of our imports come from foreign countries..." No ****, Jason!!!!!!)

Hold on, I'm sure better days are ahead... after all, things can't get worse than they are... can they???

Peace from Paris (no, not Texas... unfortunately...)
    0 0

Hi
    Originally posted by cydweeks
    The type of free speech I admire and respect is out in the open. It's not in French, it's not hidden, it's out there on the table.
    I don't see why a free speech could not be in French, as far as I know there are a lot of French-spoken countries that are democracy.. Free speech is not a privilege from any country in the world, not event the USA ...

You get to say it was a joke.
    He is not the only one, you know, who says it's just a joke... As far as I can see in the forum, there are more people taking it as a joke than people seeing it as a political meaning

Your "seamstress" didn't give us non-french speaking people that opportunity.
    The thing is that if the label had to be in all the languages but english that are spoken in your contry, it would be rather large wouldn't it?

Now well, I just take this label for a joke, very funny, and that's all we should make of it. Because if anyone tries to add some politics to that joke, it's a non sense, and anywat as both sides have probabily their share in the atmosphere that supposely reigns between our two countries... Yes, I am french too, and you know what ? I am sorry that my president is an idiot. I did not vote for him...

Finally this joke might prove day after day to be true world-wide , after all... :-)

Chris
    0 0

Hey cydweeks
    for someone who seems so genuinely appalled , and is certain they will never be a customer, you certainly seem to be spending alot of time on this website.
    The fact that the label is in french isn't sneaky, many people speak french.
    So hey why not lighten up a bit, if this is your biggest problem in life you've got it made, if not, then perhaps you should be concentrating on the bigger ones. PRIORITIZE!!!!!!!!
    0 0

Wink I'm thinking the business will not suffer

Nice stuff, Mr. Bihn.

I am ordering a shirt - like the idea of helping out the vets - not all of us have been fortunate post service (USAF 1984-1990).

And don'tcha worry about all these folks spouting off about their "lost business". From what I can see Tom Bihn was never sold in Walmart anyway!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You've got some "Star-Spangled"
    Nails In your coffin, kid.
    That's what They've done for you, Son Richard Brautigan 1935 -- 1984
    0 0

New customer

Oh please! The message is hidden because it is in *gasp* FRENCH! If it were in Zulu (I speak Zulu, by the way) I would understand -- y'all need some exposure. I also want to second the message that points out that no one seems to be disputing whether George II is, indeed, an idiot. I'm all for patriotism but, really, I am concerned about the man. Today's "press conference" after his appearance before the 9/11 commission is a case in point. Usually such things don't really matter so long as our leaders are surrounded by reasonable people. I, for one, am still concerned. Wasn't 9/11 about a non-state actor still out there somewhere in the Afghan hinterlands? Though I abhor violence, the action in Afganistan made sense. Why don't we hear about that anymore? Wouldn't the "war on terror" be better fought at the level at which the terrorists operate (i.e. clandestine special ops)? Instead it looks as though they tried to get rid of an anthill by kicking it. And if this administration is so concerned about people under dictatorship why hasn't it gone after any number of dictators (some who sit on oil and/or nukes) in any number of African and Asian countries? Somebody needs to tell the truth! I've purchased two t-shirts because I think the message is an absolute hoot. As for the explanation, I'll take Tom and company at their word, though it is a rather fortitious coincidence. I will continue to buy from Tom because, as a U.S. citizen, I want to contribute to the U.S. economy. Elsewhere someone snidely pointed out that the economy has grown by 4.2%. If we assume that the numbers are correct (are they?) the question is, for whom?
    delighted
    0 0

Village Idiots and their friends

Well, for what it's worth, I'm a Desert Storm Marine veteran and I think that the tag is a real hoot. I have friends who are veterans of different wars and they think, like me, that the recent invasion of Iraq is an abomination. I remember marching in Los Angeles to protest the push to war alongside World War II vets and Vietnam vets and it didn't seem to me that we were fooled by "weapons of mass destruction" or any other justification that sounded good in sound bites but not worth a spit under thoughtful consideration.

I'm not an anti-war person at all. When we freed Kuwait, that was certainly a good idea...something worth killing for, in fact (I'm not interested in dying for anything by the by) and that's why I volunteered to go there.

The point I am making here is that I find it delightful that your tag says what it does. It says what (hopefully) most people think in this country and, y'know, we are entitled to our opinions in the U S of A. People like George Washington weren't afraid to say that the King of England should go take a flying leap and he helped to win us our freedom to do the same to our own president if as citizens we feel it is warranted to say so.

If you're still not convinced that Bush is an idiot, then maybe you should ask a veteran what kind of Commander-In-Chief sends you to war and then cuts your pay even though it makes up the smallest fraction of military spending; declares "Mission Accomplished" so that he can stop paying out the extra combat duty pay even though the job is far from over; lied on his National Guard contract that he would fulfill the length of it; lied to troops in Iraq that they would be done with their tours instead of keeping them there against their choice; uses Marines (an invasion force) to do what the Army (occupying force) is supposed to do; hires thousands of "contractors" (illicit mercenaries) and doesn't bother to count them as war dead; under his command has had the highest percentage rate of "accident" and "non-combat" fatalities; successfully invaded Afghanistan with hardly a hitch but hasn't caught Osama bin Forgotten yet is having trouble with the Iraq invasion but conveniently found Saddam Hussein in the back yard of a farm in a hole; had the audacity to write in his journal that the "Pearl Harbor of the 21st century" happened on his watch as if it were his destiny rather than the most monumental embarrassment conceivable; and the list goes on and on. This isn't even saying anything about his domestic policies which wouldn't be enought to re-elect him without "terrorism" as a good reason since he and his team were so well-prepared for it (the Patriot Act was written in advance of 9/11 during the time that the CIA was saying that an attack by al Qaeda was likely to happen).

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe George Bush talks like an idiot (it's "nu-cle-ar" not "nu-cu-ler"!!) but he's instead a perfect combination of secret Harvard society yes-man and his corporate crook friend Kenneth Lay, Enron former-CEO...what would that make him then if he's not an idiot?
    0 0

PiperGirl et al

Pipergirl: Get a boyfriend and stop lecturing others on PRIORITIZING. Posting after 3 in the morning doesn't give you much latitude on the subject.

Congrats to cydweeks for starting the thread, well done.

Tom Bihn is a smart businessman, apparently. But he's also a weasel, and saying otherwise will leave you in the same state of denial as his uber-hero Robert Fisk.

Lots of people get on podiums and make it plain that they hate Bush. I suppose if I disliked Christians with a strong sense of purpose, I'd hate the guy too. Of course, if you're operating on the belief that kvetching in French and selling bags to Europeans will get Kerry elected, I guess my overriding emotion would be hatred as well.

And isn't boiling point anger what this is all about in the end? You can't win national elections any longer, so you exercise your right to buy the bags off some guy coming unhinged. That would be my chief concern as a member of the board. Not only is ideology interfering with profit, but the owner can't be man enough to admit meaning. Of course, masculinity isn't normally associated with the apparel/design industry, so I'm not surprised (don't like it? TOLERANCE PEOPLE).

I won't tell Tom how to run his business. But remember that excess is always its own undoing.

And drop the cheesy talk about rights no one is disputing, you sound childish.

good work cyd
    0 0

Nice Marketing !!!!!

Tom, simply brilliant. And now that it hit mainstream news, you must be excited.

Also Tom, kudos on the idea of donating some of the proceeds to veterans. Past administarations have taken too much of what they earned away from them.

For the record, not enough people say this here, Bush is NOT an idiot. He just talks like one at times. People from Texas talk in a different "slang" than people from NYC and the "Valley". They are also very passionate about what they do.

I know I will never change the way someone votes in November, so it's pointless to point out how much better the world is without Saddam as a president of any country, or how our relentless effort to get Bin Laden will not stop under this administation. Pointing out how much worse Kerry would be is also useless, as most here are of the ANYBODY-BUT-BUSH camp. Bring back Dean, or Clark. At least they wern't caught in lies already.

I also like the story that you make stating the inside joke. Its a free country, you are free to lie, and use ambgious statements to create doubt. I'm sure the one's that agree, have no problem with it. But the other 1/2 of the country knows your a CEO and not a president. We also know a "seamstress" is not in charge of purchasing and procurement. Much less Tag Design.

My question to you Tom, is, will you continue to keep the current label if Kerry gets elected?

Too bad the Primary is over and the Dems picked the hippy war protester that they did, and we won't find out till 2008 the answer to that question. I kind of figure you'll change it after the election anyway, regardless of the outcome, as it serves no purpose. Not to mention will not make news anymore.

I admire your ingenuity, and wish you were running, I might have voted for you for president of the USA. Not a job I recommend, but thinking outside the box, is what it's going to take to solve the problem in the middle east, and you sir, know how to think outside the box. (Take Credit for this). GWB's 20 year plan of letting all the other countries see what a difference democracy makes, was his idea (or the VPs, or advisors), and only time will tell if he is an idiot (like the rest), or if his outside the box approach was brilliant.
    Last edited by Pantera; 04-30-2004 at 12:33 PM.
    0 0