Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

American-made bags

As a person whose job is threatened by the offshoring of highly-skilled technical work, I was *thrilled* to finally find a bag for my laptop that was made in America.

Look at the bags at the big LL place in Maine and the company that Sears just bought -- all made elsewhere. And Eagle Creek, whose web site boasts all kinds of environmental and social wonderfulness, doesn't list where their bags are made. Hmmm.

And, as for me:

Je suis desole que mon president soit un idiot. Je n'ai pas vote pour lui.
    0 0

Originally posted by Hmerly
    I am quite saddened by this extremely cheap attempt on the part of this company to capitalize on an embarrassing stunt like this.
    I'm even sadder that folks like you are so thin-skinned that you take any criticism, real or perceived, of Your Blessed Leader as a personal slight. It's too bad that the GOP isn't quite so inventive, isn't it?

I certainly hope you guys get a lot of extra sales off this as you are definitely going to lose some customers. I like purchasing products made in the USA, but I don't like it when these companies go out of their way to hurt this country I love.
    Excuse me? "Hurting the country"? It seems that you and I have a completely different definition of "hurting the country". Tom Bihn's company employs hard-working Americans who boost our economy and offer a quality product to their customers. Your leader has ensured that our country's international reputation is trashed. I also believe that sending our troops to die in the sands of Iraq as a result of cooked intelligence and a lust for oil is much more "hurtful" to the country than a joke on a bag label, but I'm sure that distinction is completely lost on you.

Don't like the President, fine, don't like his policies, fine; but don't go out of your way to promote hurtful and unnecessary notions to the rest of the world. This only serves to hurt this very country you live in.
    You live in an interesting world, don't you? "Hurful and unnecessary notions?" Do you think that the rest of the world respects Bush as a leader? Also, "hurt this very country"? Hyperbole much?

And for those of you thinking Tom Bihn is the only place to go for good bags that are made in the USA you are highly mistaken. I won't list other companies as a courtesy to Tom, but I promise you there are other bags certainly comparable and many better than Tom Bihn's which are also made in the USA.
    I believe that Mr. Bihn has checked in on this thread by stating that it doesn't bother him if you name those companies. I also believe that there are other posters who have mentioned that those "other companies" you tout don't manufacture their bags in the good old USA. Isn't it "hurtful" to our country to purchase goods that aren't American-made?

Gosh, I almost forgot. We only "hurt our country" when there's perceived criticism of Bush.

-J
    0 0

If you support our troops, then you should support the apparatus that supports them. Hence you support the people in charge. By being political, and turning everything around to suit your views, and to criticize the decisions of your opponent, you cause your opponent to lose some credibility and thus their ability to deal with issues that come up. I'm not saying this is solely a Republican thing or a Democrat thing, its all political parties. If the Republicans were not so hellbent on impeaching Clinton, perhaps Clinton would have had more authority and resolve to truly go after Bin Laden, instead of the fly swatting he did with that one missile attack (which was criticized as being a stunt to move attention away from his problems with Lewinski, Whitewater, etc....Which I don't agree with. I think he truly wanted to do something about the looming threat Bin Laden and Al Qaeda posed to the security of this country). However, because people in this country and his political opponents were hounding him, he did not feel politically, able to launch any massive effort to derail Al Qaeda as an entity, or to go after Bin Laden, and perhaps preventing 9/11 altogether.

I see very similar parallels between that and what is happening with Bush. The amount of disrespect, demonizing, and absolute hatred he has to deal with is definitely hurting his ability to represent this country to the rest of the world. Comparing him to Hitler is simply hurtful; especially to those who suffered through the Holocaust and certainly belittles the attrocities and pain of that moment in history. So far, Bush is being tough, not letting the polls run his administration. The large amount of hounding he receives from opponents and those who disagree with him will hamper his ability to bring to an end the wars we are involved in. Our soldiers might not get the support they need due to political pressures. In Vietnam our soldiers fought a losing war, not being able to get what they needed in order to win because of the political pressures at home. So, if you support our troops, please, support this country. You don't have to support this President, you may speak out against him, but do not disrespect the office of the Presidency and do not hurt our troops abroad by making our leaders look weak and encouraging the enemy to revolt. These types of people are intentionally hurting our troops in order to get exactly the reaction some people are exhibiting. We must show our resolve, and let these lost souls know that we are here for the long run, we will not abandon the cause, and that we are going to be here to bring freedom and equality to a part of the world where these things are in extremely short supply.
    0 0

re: hmerly

Hitler was not a bumbling puppet. After the upcoming testimony before the 9-11 commission we can judge how skillful V.P. Cheney is at not moving his lips.

Following your logic, all a president need do is declare "war" (police action-the constitutional requirement of legislative ratification having been abandoned long ago) and He/She is above criticism.

Both the Iraq and Vietnam wars were initiated with deception at the inception. Not consistant with quaint notions that we have a republican form of government ...with citizens as the principals and government as the agent. Hard to make an informed decision based on deception by the agent.

The Pentagon papers might be a good resource for assessing the reasons for failure in Vietnam (and for predicting failure in Iraq?)
    0 0

Bravo, Writch, and well said. Not that it will alter the wretched, deeply entrenched ideology of fools, but it is ever so good to hear another rational voice and it gives rise to the hope that reason will prevail.

Our sitting president has much to answer for, but lacks the ability to form an articulate reply. If he were granted access to wisdom for mere moments, the truth of his actions and missteps would render him completely and irrevocably mute...but still alive, unlike the casualties of his war.

As to Hmerly's remark '...do not disrespect the office of the Presidency and do not hurt our troops abroad by making our leaders look weak...': Our 'leaders' do a very capable job of showcasing their weaknesses...without any help at all from the detractors you so detest.
    Last edited by Kimbra; 04-15-2004 at 12:33 AM.
    0 0

hmerly posted:

If you support our troops, then you should support the apparatus that supports them.
    I remember a certain GOP leader named Trent Lott, who, while troops were in Somalia, said to reporters, "It is possible to support our troops without supporting the President." This statement was widely played on TV and radio, and was in the nation's newspapers.

Now, was Mr Lott "unpatriotic" and "hurting our country," or was he just expressing the hypocrisy that is the GOP's only stock in trade?

According to the GOP, criticizing the President is fine when the President is a Democrat, but is treasonous when the President is a Republican, even if the criticism is true.
    0 0

This is tragic. I thought my Brain Bag, Brain Cell, and Snake Charmer were just about perfect. Now I find out that they are missing that certain perfect sentiment which would allow me to look back and ruefully smile on a not so simple time when a very simple man could rise to the very heights of power with nothing but a very expensive but virtually unused education, many tens of millions of dollars of corporate largess, and a complete inability to assemble a coherent sentence. I guess I will have to buy a shirt and support some homeless veterans.

Tom, perhaps you could look the other way while the seamstresses sew another joke on you into the (hopefully) imminent iPod cases. I would recommend Spanish though. Bush is "fluent," remember?
    0 0

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    I thought he spoke Mexican?
    0 0

Oh, right... my bad.

I bought two shirts. Props to you, Tom, for using American Apparel. THAT is doing the right thing.
    0 0

Tom, bringing up old history is just "instikating"* discord.

[*I know it's pronownced with a hard K sound, cuz I herd are prezident say it just that way. And everyone knows people in Mexico speak Mexican, cuz he said that, too.]

By the way, do you suppose Bush's speeches are written out phonetically in a futile attempt to prevent a blatant display of ignorance? Alas, when he looks up from his reading for the second's worth of 'sincere' expression, all phonetics are forgotten and what he will say is anyone's guess.
    0 0

Originally posted by Tom Bihn
    I personally don't have any fear of a Republican backlash. I have lots of friends that are Republicans and am a great admirer of many Republican ideals, such as small government, fiscal responsibility, personal liberty and a cautious foreign policy.
    Mr. Bihn, you are a genius. This was the best reply ever. Seriously. Count yourself a new Canadian customer... my father, myself, and two of my friends are going to go look for your bags tomorrow. There shall be more as I spread this amongst my friends. I sincerely hope you have places in Winnipeg that carry your products... if not, we shall be ordering from the website.

More than the label, we love your sense of humor... this quote summarized it all for me. Kudos and cheers.
    0 0

Talking best forum

It is awesome to read that there are very many sane Americans out there. You guys are great. I am seriously considering to buy a notebook in order to get the chance to buy a tb laptop bag. Cheeriously yours, henry
    Henry
    0 0

Arrow

Pido disculpas mi presidente es un idiota. No votÚ por Úl.

Thanks for the shirt and the contribution to the homeless Veterans!!!! My other shirt (in the 6 languages of the UN) needs a rest. I will gladly promote your bags far and wide.
    0 0

you have gained another customer, Bihn! I will leave this forum now to place my order for multiple French tag shirts & a bag! Viva le Bihn!
    0 0

Dear Tom,

My faith in American corporations is somewhat restored by your philosophies and business practices. I'd not heard of you until listening to Paul Begala on CNN about 40 minutes ago. (I've been a Tumi gal until now.)

Hearing the idiocy and outcry, and reading a lot of the messages posted here, I can only say it's sad that America has lost its sense of humor.

As someone said, it's all right to say anything you'd like about the Clintons, but obviously, GWB is sacrosanct. Well, that is understanble. After all, there's a long history of leaving the village idiot alone.

I don't care if your label is a political statement or an in-house joke. I think the joke is on those who are taking this so very seriously.

I'm extremely impressed by your products - and wonder why I've never heard of them before. I *will* be ordering your Brain Cell and a case for it, as soon as I measure my laptop. I also love that Cafe bag... what a common sense solution.

I've also sent out your website URL to my voluminous mailbox list - I know a LOT of people who'd love your Tshirt (which I'll also be ordering in multiples).

Thank you for employing Americans when most of the Fortune 500 won't. Thank you for allowing your employees some leeway (as well as a future). Most of all, thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had in weeks, intentionally or not.
    0 0