Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Anyone use a Western Flyer as multi-purpose luggage?

I was browsing through the Western Flyer's Flickr page it inspired some questions:

Does anyone use a Western Flyer as a briefcase? If so, how well does it work?

Does anyone use a Western Flyer as multi-purpose luggage, in other words, as an overnight suitcase while traveling and then as a briefcase or basic EDC while on-the-ground in the place you are visiting? If so, how well does this work?

I ask this because of ScottE22's remarkable demo-video of his Synapse 25-as-a-mobile-office and occasional travel "suitcase". He seems to repurpose his Synapse for his business overnighters quite well, according to his account. I was wondering about doing this with a Western Flyer, which supposedly offers (slightly) greater capacity.

Any comments on this?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    The Western Flyer works great as a multi-purpose case. By using a packing cube for your clothing in one compartment and the computer (in a brain cell or not ) and a freudian slip in the other. That allows you to go from hotel to a meeting to the airport without looking like you are dragging your stuff around.

This works well for a one day trip to one location or a multi-day trip to several locations. I have a TriStar that I use (with one compartment often empty) so it is almost like a WF. I'd prefer a WF (with the rolling bag sleeve) over the TriStar as I would use it more often.
    Last edited by ceb; 06-06-2015 at 05:48 AM.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    What do you think would be the difference between using the Synapse 25 as multi-purpose luggage (travel, destination-EDC, mobile office) and using the Western Flyer? Does the shape of the Western Flyer help for packing, or is the Synapse just more flexible for different uses?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    What do you think would be the difference between using the Synapse 25 as multi-purpose luggage (travel, destination-EDC, mobile office) and using the Western Flyer? Does the shape of the Western Flyer help for packing, or is the Synapse just more flexible for different uses?
    It depends on the environment. When I travel, I often go from hotel to a high level meeting and straight to the airport - or straight from the airport to a meeting. Accordingly, the Western Flyer/TriStar looks more businesslike than a backpack - although that line is blurring.

With a Western Flyer, people think you are just carrying a briefcase. With a Synapse you're carrying a backpack.

I also find the WF easier to pack than a backpack (I have a brain bag) because it is more "suitcase like) and seems easier to find things in - but that may just be me.
    Last edited by ceb; 06-06-2015 at 03:07 PM.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    The WF is often a Goldilocks bag...not to big, not too small; not to formal, not to casual. These days I rarely carry a laptop, preferring some combination of one or two iPad Airs (1&2), an iPhone 6 and a 6+. So, using a combination of packing cubes for clothes, including a packing cube shoulder bag for flexibility, and large storage pouches for paperwork, it makes an excellent business or pleasure short stay (2-3 night) travel bag.

That mine is in Cardinal Red is, for me, it's killer feature, but others may prefer a more subtle shade for business - subtly is my bag, as it were!

The only downside for me is that I have the version without rucksack straps. This means that I can't sling it on the back of my usual Pride Go-Go scooter, but it fits easily under the seat of my Luggie.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    The WF is often a Goldilocks bag...not to big, not too small; not to formal, not to casual. These days I rarely carry a laptop, preferring some combination of one or two iPad Airs (1&2), an iPhone 6 and a 6+. So, using a combination of packing cubes for clothes, including a packing cube shoulder bag for flexibility, and large storage pouches for paperwork, it makes an excellent business or pleasure short stay (2-3 night) travel bag.

That mine is in Cardinal Red is, for me, it's killer feature, but others may prefer a more subtle shade for business - subtly is my bag, as it were!

The only downside for me is that I have the version without rucksack straps. This means that I can't sling it on the back of my usual Pride Go-Go scooter, but it fits easily under the seat of my Luggie.
    Funny. The only downside for me is that I HAVE the straps.

Perhaps you could fashion a hanger for the bag using the handle from an old piece of rolling luggage attached to your scooter.

Forum Member
    I really wish I could have both the straps and the pocket/ passthrough.

I use the WF a lot as my carry on bag (or as my only suitcase) and then as a briefcase when I arrive. It is a great bag!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbcamp View Post
    I really wish I could have both the straps and the pocket/ passthrough.

I use the WF a lot as my carry on bag (or as my only suitcase) and then as a briefcase when I arrive. It is a great bag!
    I've been tempted to add a couple of straps to the back to slip over a handle or figure out a way to open the bottom of the backpack strap holder, but I haven't done either yet.

This would make an easy fix for upcoming bags. hint, hint...

I took a few pictures a while back on a few options to attach the WF to roller luggage. YMMV depending on whether you roller luggage is one pole or two and how wide the two poles are.

Western Flyer on Roller Luggage

Also, read the rest of the post for ideas as well.

Hope this help

Cheers
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Another alternative is to use bungee cords or something like this. Not a clean TB solution but it works. Because of how it attaches to the handle, I worry about how it will possible damage the handle of the rolling luggage - but - you can turn it around and attach it only to the telescoping handle. Slide the larger side on first, add your TB bag and fasten the (now top) strap to the rolling telescoping handle.

This means that the handle isn't as comfortable but it won't damage your bag.

Forum Member
    I have used the Western Flyer as a one-bag for the last 18 months.

Daily as a briefcase for Laptop and tablet, the gray ballistic is professional and unique, and the interior color splash adds some designer cred.

Also, about 20 work trips of 3 to 5 days by air, train and car (full-size laptop, files, measuring tools). Usually I also bring casual and exercise gear when traveling for work.

1 vacation-only trip in the wintertime for 10 days.

All of these trips included 1-2 pairs of extra shoes, computer or tablet, umbrella...

The bag holds what it holds; the key is strategy in selecting the right items to put in it. Maximize flexibility, minimize redundancy and the footprint of the items you bring - Fast-drying undergarments, universal chargers, custom travel-size toiletries, driving loafers, etc. - the more you can live without the lighter it will be!