Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does the Synapse 19 or 25 stand up by itself?

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before. Ive searched by my wording contains too many common words so its not giving me accurate results. I am ready to pull the plug on the Synapse 19 or maybe even the 25 IF I can figure out one thing about it.

Does this bag act like a weeble wobble (dating myself here) and tend to tip over forward or completely fall over? I need a bag to mostly stand up by itself. It does not have to be rock solid and never fall over but the majority of the time this bag will be sitting next to me in my mail truck, on a metal platform. So, I prefer it to more or less sit upright without having to fuss much with being a master loader. I tend to take stuff out, gloves, hats, wallet and place them back in without regard to weight distribution. It should be mentioned that I do have a triangular shaped leather first aid pouch that always goes in the bottom of my bags. I just want to be able to set it down a little carelessly and have it stay more or less upright If I have to keep something flat shaped in the front bottom pocket to extend the base out, I can deal with that. It should also be mentioned that I will not carry a laptop. Maybe my kindle is all.
    Last edited by myztical; 02-18-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Super Moderator
    It's not an always-tipper, but it's also not a Weeble-wobble that wants to stay vertical, either. It has enough structure that it doesn't slump, though, if you have even a slight vertical surface to lean it against ...

Does the Synapse 19 or 25 stand up by itself?

It's been one of those days and my S19 has been sitting here all day, just like this.

My computer is not it it, but the rest of my EDC is in there, except my water bottle. Bottom and side pockets are full. Main compartment has a large DOP, SE, 3DOC, Q-kit, and an empty lunch container.

ETA: sometimes my bag does topple though. I think some report that the Smart Alec is better at sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Forum Member
    Any bag without a fully structured base can topple - especially in a moving vehicle - but - it is easy to clip the top handle to something in your vehicle using either a large S-biner or a velcro strap that will most certainly keep it from tipping.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

For me, if there is something solid at the bottom of my S25, it will stay up - e.g. I put my Brain Cell in my S25 and that gives it a solid base to stay up. However, if I have the front pockets loaded and not much in the back and no solid base, it will tip. I also find that I do lean my S25 on things more so than have it stand on its own.
    I would put something at the bottom of the main compartment to make a solid base if you want to make sure it does not tip -like your leather first aid kit perhaps.

If you like the Smart Alec, it has some good padding at the bottom which makes it flat on the ground and therefore not as easy to tip.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Forum Member
    if your bag is dyneema there is a greater chance of tipping over. the other fabrics are stiffer. suggest you try attaching a sticky hook to "hang" the top loop on for added assurance.

Forum Member

great idea for shop bag

holds a lot of paper. wow.

I wouldn't say my Synapses never fall over, but I am pretty pleased with how well they generally stay upright.

Thank you for all your replies. I went ahead and bought it, give it a try. I just returned a Ketly redtail 27 because it tipped foward, problem with that bag it was too big and my stuff hardly filled it, so I'm hoping the Synapse works a little better since it'll be filled at least 2/3 full. The bases look real familiar though, so crossing my fingers. I will look into the smart Alec too, didn't compare that one.

I kind of thought that it was not a full time stand up bag just due to the number of photos I saw where the bag was either leaning on something or on its back. Just a few where it standing upright in the middle of nowhere. I'll play around with placement in the pockets and make it work somehow.
    Last edited by myztical; 02-18-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Forum Member
    I use stuff bags in the bottom, attached to the leashes. Those seem to stabilize it even better. I do
    The same thing in my Cafe bags, which I use as a purse. I have travelled a lot with both sizes and both in Dynema. I can't recall having a tipping problem with either of them and it seems I would because that sort of thing annoys me. One of the top reasons I gave up roll aboards.

Forum Member
    Depends on how you pack it. If the upper front pockets are full and there is a water bottle in it, and the lowest front pocket is empty, then it always tips, in my experience. But if something is in the lowest front pocket--even if just a windbreaker to fill the space and let the water bottle sit on something, then it almost never tips over. Certainly, some weight in the large main compartment helps too. I don't carry a computer in that bag, so not sure how that factors in.

My S19 almost always stands up on its own. (I find it annoying, too, if bags are always tipping over. ) I rarely have anything in the bottom front pocket - maybe a bandanna or pair of thin gloves, if anything - and my EDC shifts around a lot, so I would say the bag has a lot of inherent balance. (This is with a full or partly full water bottle in the front pocket, too - or sometimes I may stick it in a side pocket if I've stuffed something in the front, so that's even more points for maintaining stability in the face of an unbalanced load. ) When I'm driving I usually have my pack in the front passenger seat and it stays put even if I don't belt it in... sometimes I do, so that it won't fly around in case of an accident, but usually I'm running late so there you go. ;P

Contents of my S19 are here. (If the photos don't show up in the post you can enter the URL in your browser. Hard to tell from the pics, but the fully-packed S19 is sitting on the couch, not leaning on anything.)

Forum Member
    haraya--my bag is a S25, and I wonder if that is why it needs that larger bottom pocket full. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    haraya--my bag is a S25, and I wonder if that is why it needs that larger bottom pocket full. What do you think?
    Hmm, interesting!! I don't have an S25 so can't conduct experiments. But yes, on the S25, the bottom pocket is a bigger percentage of the front real estate, whereas on the S19 it just collapses in on itself when empty and is not so much a factor for stability.

Well, I tried it....wish it would of worked out for me but it seems my items just don't pack well into the Synapse 19. Fell over no matter what I did. It was also on the small side, my stuff filled out about 85% of the bag. Im exchanging for the Smart Alec and I have a feeling it will work out great.