Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 2 Post By maliora

Thread: How to get curry stains out of my ultraviolet 3D cube?

Unhappy How to get curry stains out of my ultraviolet 3D cube?

So... I may have accidentally dunked my purse in some curry at lunch Tuesday.

I tried washing it with soap and water, no joy. Any ideas?
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

I don't know...turmeric (often present in curries or in curry powders) is notorious for its staining. I got some on my old kitchen counter and it never came out. Likewise on clothing it can be impossible to remove. Sorry to be pessimistic, but I think Dyneema may have met its match.

I hope I am wrong, and I will be watching this thread for tips/ideas.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Ack! Yes, turmeric is a very intense dye. In your favor is the fact that Dyneema yarns don't readily accept dye. While we normally only recommend mild dish soap for washing bags/accessories you could, in this kind of situation, try a slightly more intense laundry detergent for pre-treating. These seem like pretty good instructions -- and the sunlight tip is a good one.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

JCG
    I used Oxiclean laundry spray on my dyneema Synapse 25 as I got Thai peanut sauce on the bag (don't ask) I sprayed it on the stain, rubbed it in an old toothbrush, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinsed it off. I did this 3 times and I got the stain out completely. Good luck. Sorry to hear it. I'm very into keeping my bags as clean as possible, and I freak when I get a stain, so I'm always trying new stuff out. Would be interested to see if other folks have tried any other methods.

JGC, every time someone says "don't ask" I gotta ask... I find people don't usually say that unless there's a pretty good story to be had.

As to the stain, vinegar and baking soda (foams up pretty good) might work if all else fails.
    binje likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

One of the best ways to fight a turmeric stain is sunlight! I had a (white) plastic lunch container stained with turmeric, and a little bit of time in the sun got it nice again.

It's such an easy thing to try and definitely no harsh chemicals involved ( ), so I'd definitely suggest giving it a try! I think one day of sunlight shouldn't bleach the fabric noticeably.