Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By gochicken
  • 3 Post By ykang2375

Thread: Question about steel dyneema /solar dyneema

Question about steel dyneema /solar dyneema

Hello. I have one tom bihn bag already and the next one I get I would like to try and accumulate a matching set. I love the steel/solar dyneema and wanted to know what was made in this paring. I know there was a synapse but I'm having trouble finding anything else. Pics would be great if you own somthing. If there is just the synapse then I would go for a different color that I could potentially get a tri-star, synapse, side, cafe bag etc. Thanks!
    Last edited by zmanlane; 01-18-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Solar was retired, resurrected, and then retired again. I don't believe you'll see it again in new production runs, but I would love to be wrong. The side effect was made in this pairing in 400d steel/200d solar. More bad news: the 400d steel (the heavier weight exterior) was also retired. Right now, the only exterior dyneema is the 400d black (nordic 400d was also retired much to the chagrin of many). You'll see black dyneema used now in the larger travel bags, such as the Aeronaut 30/45, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, etc. I can't speak to the cafe bags because I've not followed the color offerings. I can say that solar was used as a lining color paired with nordic in the cafe bag line.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote SE * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Solar was retired, resurrected, and then retired again. I don't believe you'll see it again in new production runs, but I would love to be wrong. The side effect was made in this pairing in 400d steel/200d solar. More bad news: the 400d steel (the heavier weight exterior) was also retired. Right now, the only exterior dyneema is the 400d black (nordic 400d was also retired much to the chagrin of many). You'll see black dyneema used now in the larger travel bags, such as the Aeronaut 30/45, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, etc. I can't speak to the cafe bags because I've not followed the color offerings. I can say that solar was used as a lining color paired with nordic in the cafe bag line.
    yeah I know it was retired I would find them online or trade for them. Just wanted to know if there was an aeronaut or tri-star with the steel dyneema/solar dyneema interior.

I know both the A45 and the TS were made in steel ballistic/solar and have appeared on eBay. I recall a lot of steel dyneema/wasabi pairings (I bought the A45 in that combo). I think at that time, steel dyneema/steel was also offered in the A45.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote SE * Wishlist: New 400d Color

So does anyone have pics of items besides a synapse 19 in stee dyneema/solar dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by zmanlane View Post
    So does anyone have pics of items besides a synapse 19 in stee dyneema/solar dyneema
    Here is my Steel Dyneema/Solar Co-Pilot.
    Gotta love that Solar!

Name:  IMG_5066.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  169.6 KBName:  IMG_5068.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  189.1 KBName:  IMG_5071.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  134.3 KB
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

I feel your pain zmanlane, I still regret not getting the Tri-Star in Steel Dyneema when it was available. :-( Hopefully the TB folks bring both the Steel and Solar dyneema back in 2015. Unfortunately, my wallet will be emptied if and when that day comes.