Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Add a hip belt to an Aeronaut?

Has anyone done this successfully? I one-bag international business travel, often with a baby in tow, and even packing light, that's too much to carry just on my shoulders. As much as I love my Aeronaut in terms of aesthetics and construction, I've gone back to my Rick Steves convertible carryon for the hip belt. My Aeronaut is lonely...

I posted about this before and was pointed to external hip belts that REI sells, but they seem specific to a particular product line--I don't see how I would attach one to an Aeronaut. Any input much appreciated!

Forum Member
    While it is possible to attach the basic TB hip belt to the lower part of the shoulder straps, when I tried one on like this, the belt rested extremely high on my waist (not my preference). I definitely prefer the lower hip belt attachment point on the Smart Alec. This is the one issue that has made me hesitate about buying an Aeronaut 30, though I would really, really, really like one. So I am also curious if anyone else has suggestions.

Forum Member
    I'm thinking a padded belt that is designed to really transfer weight to your hips. The waist belt that comes with TB bags (unless there's an accessory I don't know about?) is a 1" webbing strap that seems designed more to stabilize the bag. I did try loosening the shoulder straps to have it ride lower, but it's not comfortable at all like that--I don't think it's really intended to take weight.