Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: What's the perfect bag for a first grade teacher?

What's the perfect bag for a first grade teacher?

I'm currently searching for the perfect EDB for carting to and from school. It will need to be able to fit A4 size papers and file plus all the bits and pieces teachers have with them all the time - and there's a lot of them! I'm leaning towards the Swift due to its flexibility but also think that the Pilot could do the job well just because I like all the compartments. Are there any TB primary school teachers out there who use one of these bags for their EDB?

I love my Pilot! And my other Pilot! And the third Pilot that I want to buy! (It's a great bag, really.)

But I'm not a teacher so I don't have a good feel for what you need to stuff into the Pilot. Could you list out specifically the bits and pieces that are part of your EDC? How many papers...just a folder or two, or are we talking like 200 pages worth?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

The usual items are: an A4 size diary, A4 plastic sleeved folder, A4 ring binder, an iPad and pencil case, some days a text book or two ..... plus lunch and personal items in a small messenger bag. Any books I need to mark are carried separately in a shop bag. I think the Swift is the likely option, but I love the pilot and need an excuse to buy one!

Quote Originally Posted by djjr View Post
    The usual items are: an A4 size diary, A4 plastic sleeved folder, A4 ring binder, an iPad and pencil case, some days a text book or two ..... plus lunch and personal items in a small messenger bag. Any books I need to mark are carried separately in a shop bag. I think the Swift is the likely option, but I love the pilot and need an excuse to buy one!
    I had written a response recommending the Swift but deleted it after seeing your latest post! I would recommend the Pilot, actually, because most of your stuff is flat. The Swift is fantastic for chunky, irregularly-shaped stuff. (I carry a Swift and Pilot everyday nowadays.) How thick are your textbooks? I can try and test pack when I get home from class.

And that there in lies my dilemma as some days I have craft stuff for preparing resources and other days it's all flat! Text books are just ones for lesson planning etc so usually just a couple of cm thick. Maybe I need both!

What's the perfect bag for a first grade teacher?

Mm, scratch that. If you're carrying a thick ring binder, you might be out of luck with the Pilot. Here is a test pack of a Swift with a plastic sleeve folder, thick-ish ring binder, chunky textbook, 1st generation iPad, 2 A4 bound booklets (to approximate your A4 diary) and a very stuffed pencil case. It fits into the Swift both horizontally and vertically! I'm surprised.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414230905.074013.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  370.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414230923.289690.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  374.9 KB

The same stuff doesn't fit into the Pilot, but of course your binder may be smaller, and your textbook definitely thinner.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414230967.690062.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  353.4 KB

ETA: a plug for the Navy/Iberian parapack Swift. It's very pretty and formal. Also, unlike the ballistic Swifts (and I think the Dyneema Swifts), I suspect the black material used for the handles and edging is parapack. It's very smooth, with a similar texture and weave as the main body material, and doesn't attract light-coloured dirt. The handles/edging for the other Swifts are black Cordura.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-25-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    Wishlist: New 200D & 400D Dyneema colours; Imago v. 2; more stuff in Black/UV, Steel or Grey/Wasabi, Aubergine/Steel

Geat pics @adalangdon!

@djjr, here is a link to a thread with another forum member's thought process when selecting a bag for her grad student / teaching needs. Hope it helps provide more insight into what will work for you:

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/questi...ot-larger.html

In the end, she chose a Synapse 19.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Janine and djjr like this.
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thanks so much @adalangon! Those pics are perfect. Looks like the Swift will be just the bag I need. I hadn't thought of the Navy/Iberian parapack before this thread. Just one more question - does the parapack hold its shape when on the floor as well as the ballistic?

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks so much @adalangon! Those pics are perfect. Looks like the Swift will be just the bag I need. I hadn't thought of the Navy/Iberian parapack before this thread. Just one more question - does the parapack hold its shape when on the floor as well as the ballistic?
    Parapack is noticeably floppier than Ballistic Nylon, though if you routinely carry your bag fairly full, as it appears @adalangdon does, you might not see this as a problem. I agree that for your described use, the Swift will probably work better than the Pilot. The difference in the fabric used in terms of whether the sides of the bag will sag or flop over is much less noticeable in the smaller Little Swifts. I have both the Swift, and its predecessor, the LUX bag, which is what I still use for the kind of carrying purposes you outline. (My Crimson Ballistic Nylon LUX does an even better job than the Swift of holding shape and standing upright, even when it's nearly empty, so it's perfect for these purposes. It lacks the clear interior zippered pockets for easily seeing pocket contents, but the solid black of the pocket also works better for a more discreet interior view for non-knitting purposes. And the handle extensions are black ballistic nylon.)

HTH moriond
    Janine and djjr like this.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414283801.862161.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  359.8 KB

Extreme scenario: empty bags! The parapack one stood up on its own for maybe 10s before collapsing. But, as @moriond says, it isn't that big an issue if your bag always has stuff in it-- and all the more so if you don't stash much in the transparent pockets near the top. The upside is the significant weight savings. Parapack and dyneema feel so much lighter than ballistic, even in a small-ish bag like the Swift. (And I don't even have a bad shoulder!)

BTW, if you're wondering about organisation of day-to-day stuff in the Swift, the medium stuff sack that comes clipped to the Swift can be pretty helpful IMO, on top of the usual pouches. It has a very wide mouth that allows for easy access to everything inside, and you can clip pouches to the triangular clip if, like me, you have chunky, heavy pouches that you access often. I started using it 2 days ago to store bulky, small things and enjoy using my Swift even more now.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 10-25-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    moriond and Janine like this.
    Wishlist: New 200D & 400D Dyneema colours; Imago v. 2; more stuff in Black/UV, Steel or Grey/Wasabi, Aubergine/Steel

You're a star @adalangdon!! Thanks so much

I concur -- I carry the Swift at the university level when I have papers to grade, or large texts. Most of the time though I have my 13" MBA in a cache with a 3D cube of presentation stuff (adaptor, clicker, dry erase markers) in my Imago. Before the Imago (which I got in a swap), I carried the Swift full time for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    moriond likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote SE * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    @adalangdon If you want to see what the older LUX bag looks like, here's a picture of the version I have (Crimson/Black) from the 2005 Gear Live interview with Tom:

Name:  tombihnlux.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  29.6 KB

I got this bag in 2005, and posted about it Because of the forum redesign, most links in my old posts won't work correctly anymore (unless you access them through the Internet Archive snapshot at a time when they did work).

I'll excerpt from the old product page descriptions. This bag continued to be sold until the middle of 2008. It's basically the same size (volume and overall dimensions) as the Swift, but there were differences in the angling of the material at the base, pockets, number of O-rings, and no clear pockets or closing tab. The handles were actually Black and Crimson Ballistic Nylon rather than Cordura.

Available in Black/Crimson, Black/Kiwi, Black/Grape, Black/Steel, and Solid Black
    Inside zippered pocket
    Over-all measurements of: 7 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 13 1/2"
    Volume: 15.5 liters / 950 cu.in.

Made of 1050 Ballistic Nylon
    Handles padded with Poron® foam
    Made in the TOM BIHN Factory in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.

The LUX is a sophisticated, medium-sized tote/shoulder bag with sharp curves and a streamlined design. There are no outside pockets or zippers to distract from the clean lines of the LUX. The LUX can be used as an everyday shoulder bag, a travel bag, or as a bag to take to the farmer's market or grocery store.

The LUX is made with tough, U.S.-made 1050 denier Ballistic nylon. The padded handles are constructed of Ballistic nylon rolled around high-quality, 0.5" thick Poron® foam, and are easy on the hands or your shoulder. If you choose to carry the LUX as a shoulder bag, you'll find that the the handles are a perfect height to allow you to swing the LUX onto your shoulder.

Inside the LUX, you'll find a zippered inside pocket that is sized to fit your wallet, checkbook, and/or iPod, cell phone, or PDA, and two o-rings designed to let you to attach a key snap (included) or one of our Organizer Pouches (optional; available in Cordura, Clear, and Padded). Using the rest of the space inside of the LUX, you'll have plenty of room for a book or two, a water bottle, a light jacket, and a snack.
    HTH. Just FYI. I also have the Swift in 400d Nordic Dyneema as a lightweight alternative (like @kkintea). BTW, off topic for this thread, but @kkintea, I'm curious how you like your 400d Steel Dyneema Side Effect compared to the 200d Dyneema and Parapack ones? (This is related to the other recent thread @Janine started about more bags in 200d Dyneema, and some of the other discussion about more Parapack bags)

@moriond: The unseated favorite is the parapack side effect (vs cordura, 200d, 400d, and ballistic).

On a related note (and completely tangential to this thread)..... Earlier I contemplated taking the seam ripper to the SE. Nothing fits in the inner pockets - not mini TB pouch, TB wallet, or iPhone 5 in Mophie case. But I couldn't bring myself to do it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote SE * Wishlist: New 400d Color

You're a star @adalangdon!! Thanks so much
    No problem! I have a newfound appreciation of the Swift after using it (and a Pilot) off and on as a replacement for my TB backpacks and love to share my enthusiasm. I love how it's a giant cavern with thoughtfully-placed O rings... it gives you so many options for organising stuff. *shakes a fist at Longchamp bags*

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @adalangdon If you want to see what the older LUX bag looks like, here's a picture of the version I have (Crimson/Black) from the 2005 Gear Live interview with Tom:
    Yes, I've seen it! It's adorable. (The hunt for a red Swift/LS continues.) BTW, my mind is blown by the thought of Jessica Simpson or Usher toting one around, no pun intended. I'm here if they want to destash.
    Janine likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast