Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Forest!

Forest!

Earlier this year, I got an Aeronaut in Forest -- love the color, but the bag just isn't for me. I tried to go through the site to see what else is usually offered in Forest, but it's really hard to tell since a lot of things are out of stock right now. So, what bags do you own (or have seen) in Forest? If you have pictures, I'd love to see those too!
    Medium Cafe Bag (black/wasabi), Synapse 19 (black/steel), Small Cafe Bag (cocoa/wasabi)
    Co-Pilot (black/iberian), Side Effect (aubergine/wasabi), Swift (forest/forest/wasabi) <3

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post
    Earlier this year, I got an Aeronaut in Forest -- love the color, but the bag just isn't for me. I tried to go through the site to see what else is usually offered in Forest, but it's really hard to tell since a lot of things are out of stock right now. So, what bags do you own (or have seen) in Forest? If you have pictures, I'd love to see those too!
    @Juliana, The Pilot was offered in Forest in July, but is currently sold out. (The whole Pilot line will probably need a refresh with a new production batch soon). You can see pictures of the Pilot in Forest in a thread from that time. @Ilkyway shows pictures, and if you scroll down, you'll see pictures of @scribe's Pilot in Forest and her Forest/Cork/Steel Imago (a retired messenger bag). The Nightflight travel duffel is available in Forest. So is the size #4 Knitting Tool Kit pouch, and it was available as a Clear Organizer Wallet up to a few days ago (just checked and it's not there). The Smart Alec was available in Forest earlier this year (can't quickly recall pictures, but I know @taminca got this), and you can still buy the Upper Modular Pocket for the SA in Forest. I'm pretty sure there are still Ballistic Organizer pouches in Forest (and conifer, which is the Cordura fabric that is close in color; @adalangdon did some pictures comparing the two.). The q-Kit and double organizer pouches are/were available in Forest. The Pocket Pouch is available in Forest. The TriStar was available in Forest/UV (@gochicken has posted pics). This is off the top of my head. It would take more time to cut and paste and highlight links for everything on an iPad -- especially switching screens to retrieve images-- so I'll let people who own lots of Forest accessories chime in. This also doen't include bags like the Cadet that have been out of stock for a while, but that were made in Forest/Steel or the Swift that was made in Forest/Hemp, etc.

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 09-19-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Ha, the encyclopaedic moriond posted my link for me!

As she says, I have a few items in forest: the afore-mentioned Pilot and Imago, and also a clear organiser wallet, a pocket pouch and a Q-Kit. I used to have a forest knitting tool pouch, but I sold most of my KTPs recently after my interchangeable needle collection...outgrew them *lol*

As a lover of most shades of green, forest is probably my second favourite after aubergine. I'm very glad I ordered my Pilot before they sold out - I haven't even had an opportunity to use it yet, but I will, sooner or later!

Also, now that moriond mentions it, I'd love to see a Little Swift in Forest, although I'd settle for Black/Wasabi. Are you listening, TB crew?
    Last edited by scribe; 09-19-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    jess likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I saw a Western Flyer in Hunter Green (is that really Forest?) for sale on ebay recently:

Tom Bihn Western Flyer with Brain Cell and Strap Hunter Green | eBay

Cheers!
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Ha, the encyclopaedic moriond posted my link for me!

As she says, I have a few items in forest: the afore-mentioned Pilot and Imago, and also a clear organiser wallet, a pocket pouch and a Q-Kit. I used to have a forest knitting tool pouch, but I sold most of my KTPs recently after my interchangeable needle collection...outgrew them *lol*

As a lover of most shades of green, forest is probably my second favourite after aubergine. I'm very glad I ordered my Pilot before they sold out - I haven't even had an opportunity to use it yet, but I will, sooner or later!

Also, now that moriond mentions it, I'd love to see a Little Swift in Forest, although I'd settle for Black/Wasabi. Are you listening, TB crew?
    You know what would be amazing? A Swift in Forest/Aubergine/Steel *swoons*

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I saw a Western Flyer in Hunter Green (is that really Forest?) for sale on ebay recently:

Tom Bihn Western Flyer with Brain Cell and Strap Hunter Green | eBay

Cheers!
    I saw that, too, and that's Forest, not Hunter. The logo label is "Made in USA", so it has to be a recent bag, and Hunter, which is a slightly Bluer green than Forest, has not been around for years. My Imago is Hunter/Cork/Sage (from mid-2007) and I like this color combination better than Forest/Cork/Steel, both because I like the slightly bluer tone of Hunter, and the light silvery color of the Sage lining, which is a lighter color than Steel.

It depends how far back you want to go searching for products that are not currently made. if you like the similar green of Conifer (Cordura), up till releatively recently (such as a coupke of months ago) the 3D Clear Organizer Cubes were still available, for example:
    Name:  TB0917_03b.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  187.2 KB

The blog is a good place to see pictures of products. Here's the results of a search for forest
    Scroll down for pictures of the Imago in Forest/Cork/Steel, The ID Bag in Forest/Cayenne, the Swift in Forest/Hemp, the Kit, which is a larger size accessory bag than the Q-Kit, in Forest, @gochicken's husband wearing a Forest Tri-Star, etc. There were also Co-Pilots in Forest. There used to be Field Journal Notebooks in Conifer.

For recent items (e.g., Clear Organizer Wallet in Forest that was listed as available only a week ago), or possibly even the Conifer 3D Clear Organizer Cube, you could always ask TB Customer Service if there are still odd pieces or pouches available (perhaps in their store section or recently returned).

HTH moriond

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    You know what would be amazing? A Swift in Forest/Aubergine/Steel *swoons*
    Yes to this (and a LS in the same) with the fury of a thousand blazing suns!!!

ETA: UV interior would be nice too. Forest/UV kills me! <3
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-20-2014 at 03:46 AM.
    Wishlist: New 200D & 400D Dyneema colours; Imago v. 2; more stuff in Black/UV, Steel or Grey/Wasabi, Aubergine/Steel

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Yes to this (and a LS in the same) with the fury of a thousand blazing suns!!!
    Hahahahaha love it!

ETA: UV interior would be nice too. Forest/UV kills me! <3
    Oooh that would be wonderful too! Maybe we would bribe the TB staff hmmm….

Some pictures of Forest items

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  51.1 KB
    Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  45.2 KB

Forest/Steel Tri-Star
    Aubergine Kit
    Forest/Black/UV Smart Alec with Lower Modular Pocket (not attached)
    Mine is the older version unable to accept the Upper Modular Pocket

jess, you are correct that Aubergine and Forest go beautifully together!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

I totally want to steal your Smart Alec!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Yes, I when first learned about the Black/Forest/UV SA my heart let out a small, all-too-often-heard cry of despair-- why did I not discover TB earlier?
    Wishlist: New 200D & 400D Dyneema colours; Imago v. 2; more stuff in Black/UV, Steel or Grey/Wasabi, Aubergine/Steel

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Yes, I when first learned about the Black/Forest/UV SA my heart let out a small, all-too-often-heard cry of despair-- why did I not discover TB earlier?
    OK, for all those swooning over @gochicken's picture of her Forest/UV Smart Alec, with Aubergine Kit, and Forest/Steel Tri-Star, I'll point you to the pictures in @Ilkyway's Great Bags in beatyfull collors thread. This was one of her earliest photo posts, and shows her (then) collections in Nordic, Aubergine, and a miscellany of Side Effects.

The Aubergine Smart Alec in @Ilkyway's collection was prompted by the earlier photoessays by @taminca of her Aubergine Smart Alec in two earlier threads:

@Ilkyway displayed both the Upper and Lower Modular pockets for the Smart Alec in her Aubergine collection, and @taminca decided to get the Lower Module Pocket in Aubergine. (Like many of us, including myself, she bought the Upper Modular Pocket with her Smart Alec, but wasn't sure the Lower Modular Pocket would be as useful). However, sometime during the exchange in the thread, the last lower modular pocket in Aubergine disappeared from the Smart Alec accessory ordering options at the web site. So @Ilkyway suggested she get Forest in the meantime as a contrasting option, and posted the following picture of Forest Ballistic Nylon next to Aubergine:

As it turned out, @taminca had already acquired a used Forest Smart Alec, so that was a good option, in any case, and the Aubergine Lower Modular Pocket also shipped out shortly, so she was shortly able to post pictures of the two bags with their modular pockets:

And for those of you who didn't bother to follow my earlier search link for blog posts and scroll through the forest pictures, here's @gochicken's picture of an Aubergine Western Flyer carried beside the Forest/Steel Tri-Star in earlier picture:

A few other comments: there were also recent Forest/Forest/Wasabi Swifts, and you can also check the Skookum Dog web site for their road duffels in Forest (with Coyote trim; only the medium size is linked here).

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 09-23-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Fixed link to Tom Bihn in Antelope Valley thread

Those are some gorgeous Smart Alecs.

I'm so jealous of everyone! Forest and Aubergine are two of my favorite colors (aside from black). Unfortunately I'm restricted to the bags that I can currently buy...although I really enjoy seeing all the Forest in this thread, especially those SAs. I guess I'm stuck seeing which ones will reappear in Forest! Maybe the Western Flyer would be more my size since the Aeronaut was too big?

Edit: Uh oh. I just noticed that the Smart Alec comes in black/aubergine/wasabi...
    Last edited by Juliana; 09-22-2014 at 09:31 AM.
    gochicken and jess like this.
    Medium Cafe Bag (black/wasabi), Synapse 19 (black/steel), Small Cafe Bag (cocoa/wasabi)
    Co-Pilot (black/iberian), Side Effect (aubergine/wasabi), Swift (forest/forest/wasabi) <3

Yes, I've seen and loved taminca and llkyway's Aubergine SA. That was seriously cruel, moriond, for reminding me. And I mean that in the nicest of way. I am imaging how happy I would be snowshoeing with an Aubergine or Forest SA, just like Tom in the SA video. The DLBP was supposed to be for snowshoeing until I saw that video. Because there are times I just might want to take off my snowshoes, right? And what will I be doing with my S19 that is set to arrive on Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana View Post

Edit: Uh oh. I just noticed that the Smart Alec comes in black/aubergine/wasabi...
    I am saved. I am not a wasabi lover. I definitely think it pairs beautifully with Aubergine, but I do not love it. I will not give up my gorgeous Aubergine A30 because of it, but I won't buy anything else with it. But, I LOVE black dyneema and paired with Iberian! The ultimate WI Badger bag!!!! Must have...
    Seesul likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast