Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Request to purchase 5/8 shoulder strap and camera I/O dividers to accessories purchas

I should be sending this email to the good folks at TB, but I thought I'd post it here as I am in no hurry (waiting for the new Side Effect) and perhaps other folks are interested.

At this time the 5/8 shoulder strap can only be purchased with one of the 3D cubes and the dividers can only be purchased with the Camera I/O.

I would like to purchase one of the 5/8 should strap to use with a dyneema 3D cube purchased earlier. I would also like to purchase a couple of the Camera I/O small dividers.

So I would like to request that these items be made available to purchase on their own via the Accessories page.

I have a growing wish list waiting for the Side Effect. Perhaps, a shoulder strap and a couple Camera I/O small dividers will join them soon in the waiting???

Thank you!
    Last edited by Walker; 03-23-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Title needs editing

Forum Member
    I apologize for the thread title. It was supposed to read: Request to purchase 5/8 shoulder strap and camera I/O dividers via accessories purchase page.

I don't know how to fix it!

You may be able to find some straps with 5/8" webbing on camera cases and the like if you wanted to cannibalize components and make your own.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I should be sending this email to the good folks at TB, but I thought I'd post it here as I am in no hurry (waiting for the new Side Effect) and perhaps other folks are interested.

At this time the 5/8 shoulder strap can only be purchased with one of the 3D cubes and the dividers can only be purchased with the Camera I/O.

I would like to purchase one of the 5/8 should strap to use with a dyneema 3D cube purchased earlier. I would also like to purchase a couple of the Camera I/O small dividers.

So I would like to request that these items be made available to purchase on their own via the Accessories page.

I have a growing wish list waiting for the Side Effect. Perhaps, a shoulder strap and a couple Camera I/O small dividers will join them soon in the waiting???

Thank you!
    @Walker You can probably order these items by calling the Tom Bihn 800 number. I actually prefer using the lighter strap that they supplied with the discontinued Breve to the Simple strap that you can order with the packing Cube Shoulder Bag. there's a picture in one of my posts in the Diaper Cube for Imago? thread. Darcy responded by saying, yes, you could buy any of these other straps separately.

moriond

Forum Member
    @moriond, in January, I called in an order to TB and asked to also buy the Breve strap. I was told it was no longer available. I had also asked about buying the dividers when the Camera I/O debuted. I was told that they were considering making the dividers available for purchase "soon".

@ Jujigatame, I repurpose a lot of things. But some items are just easier to buy. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I am waiting for the new Side Effect to place an order. I have a growing wish list.
    Last edited by Walker; 03-24-2013 at 08:00 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @moriond, in January, I called in an order to TB and asked to also buy the Breve strap. I was told it was no longer available. I had also asked about buying the dividers when the Camera I/O debuted. I was told that they were considering making the dividers available for purchase "soon".
    @Walker sadness! Well, calling in should let you purchase the 5/8" shoulder strap that gets included with current Side Effect purchases. I see what you mean about not being able to order it by itself from the web site, even though there are options to add it on for $3.

The Camera I/O dividers really seem designed specifically for the way the Camera I/O inside and Velcro are arranged. Was your idea that you wanted to use something like this in a Smart Alec or similar sized bag? (The Camera I/O is just a little too wide to fit in there the way it can fit into a Brain Bag).

I'm also waiting for the new Side Effects in Nordic 400D Dyneema. By the way, I keep thinking that my top modular pocket for the Smart Alec (in Aubergine Dyneema) would make a great separate bag to carry with the old Breve shoulder strap. I know it's not designed for this, with the Gatekeeper clip attachments to hook onto the Snart Alec -- but just sayin', you know!

moriond

Forum Member
    @moriond, I lost one if the small Camera I/O dividers, soon after receiving the bag. - bag comes with 2 of them. They are also great for creating vertical compartments in I/O bag - for stacking items separately. They are the perfect size. I also like the gray color - makes it easier to see the mostly black accessories.

I agree about the SA upper pocket - even if I have not seen it. In fact, I keep imagining that it will be a better organizer inside my Swift - I currently use the PCSB for that purpose. I use the Swift as a purse, not as a knitting bag. What do you think? I thought of buying one to try, but I did not want to deal with removing the gatekeeper clips.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Heads-up everybody: we just added the 5/8" Shoulder Strap to the Parts page, for a cost of $3.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Walker and Others,

I'm bumping up this old thread to go along with my wish list request that they offer the 1" wide strap that used to be available with the (now discontinued) Breve for iPad, and that I use all the time as an alternative to the 5/8" Shoulder Strap that comes with the Side Effect. For those of you who feel that the 5/8" strap is too spaghetti-ish for some circumstances and gets too easily tangled, or would like a slightly wider strap for some of your bag hacks without having to substitute the wider standard strap, or try to find this option from other vendors, I'd recommend that you go to the Field Journal Accessories Product Page, find the option to order an additional strap for the FJN from the drop down menu, then add a couple of Double Carabiner clips from the Parts page drop down menu. There may be other ways to hack this with different attachment options, but I'm not willing to cut off the ends of my FJN straps. The double carabiner clip can hook into the existing end clip of the FJN strap, and will give you the swivel action you'd get when using the normal bag attachment clips at the end of a strap. The FJN strap is 1" wide -- the same width as the old Breve strap. On top of that, you can use the FJN strap to carry a Snake Charmer over the shoulder -- just hook the Gatekeeper clip ends into the webbing loops at thee other end of the Snake Charmer (e.g., one end to the back left loop, and the other end to the front right loop). This solution is adjustable and light weight for when you want a slightly wider strap, but don't need a shoulder pad support for light-weight accessories.

It would be much simpler if they simply made the 1" strap again with swivel clips at the end, but in the meantime you can use this hack.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I'll include a few of the pictures of the way the FJN straps attach to a Snake Charmer from my post in response to @weirdguy's bag hack of the Fournder's Briefcase wedge. You can see more pictures by following the link to the post, but here's what this looks like for the Snake Charmer, with one close-up shot of the Gatekeeper clip attached to the webbing loop. I'm not carrying around any extra FJN straps to easily snap a picture with the Double Carabiner Clip looped into the Gatekeeper clip end (especially since I have a 1" Breve strap that means I don't need to use this hack), but it's easy enough to do.

1" wide FJN accessory strap connected to a Navy (Cordura) Field Journal Notebook (left) and a Wasabi (500d Cordura) Snake Charmer (right). You can see that these straps do not have a Shoulder Pad, are adjustable, and are considerably wider than the 5/8" strap that comes with the Side Effect, but not as wide as the Standard Strap (with Shoulder Pad). They're also adjustable in length, and do not easily tangle.

Closeup showing the detail of how the Gatekeeper Clip at the end of the 1" wide FJN strap connects to the webbing loops of the FJN and Snake Charmer.

To use this strap with the Side Effect in bag hack fashion, just loop one end of a Double Carabiner Clip through the Gatekeeper clip end of the FJN strap, and loop the other end of the Double Carabiner Clip into the o-Rings for attaching a strap to the SE. The Breve strap that I use for this purpose has the regular hooks at the ends for clipping onto the o-Rings that you find in the Standard Strap. Here's an old picture of the Breve Strap used with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. The standard strap (without the shoulder pad portion) is shown for comparison width in the upper left corner.

Last edited by moriond; 04-10-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added images to the ETA section at end of post