Me: Librarian (prone to carrying books) who is short (5'1") and comes from a long line of European peasants good at surviving famines (not a small woman: broad shoulders and a chest to match, and waist straps are rarely comfortable for me.)
My current bag: A large Cafe bag which is great, but slightly too small for my dream bag, especially the 3" dimension. I've had it for 3+ years, and the strap's starting to wear out (the padding that goes over the shoulder) after daily use all that time, so a new bag makes sense.
What I usually carry:
- Keys (clipped to key strap)
- Wallet (small pouch, but would like to tuck somewhere secure but accessible)
- Notebook (8.5 x 11 sketch book or slightly larger) or thin 3 ring binder.
- 1-3 books (normal reading books, not textbooks)
- cell phone
- water bottle
- Insulated mug for tea (after it's empty: before that, I hand-carry).
- 3x5 Index cards or small notebook
- I expect I might add a netbook or something similar in the next year.
- I live in a tiny house: one bag that's really flexible is important to me.
What I sometimes want to use it for (taking some stuff out if needed):
- Walking to the library, collecting new books, and walking back. (about a mile each way, and usually 4-8 books.)
- Personal travel (airport + plane stuff to do, plus maybe a simple change of clothes/underwear or another layer.)
- Hobby materials (drop spindle + wool - think the size of a wine bottle or so) or a couple of large books.
Colors: Black, steel, storm, and sapphire all go with the things I wear and my personal tastes. Plum is not out of the question, but (as cool as I think the wasabi/cayenne/scarlet/cocoa are) they just won't go with anything else in my life.) I'd be a lot happier with the Imago's navy/storm/sapphire choice if it were black or steel instead of the navy.
- I'm really interested in more details on inside pockets and side pockets: something secure but accessible is really important to me. (Every so often, stuff slips out when my bag gets over turned in the car now - cell phone, iPod, etc.) I always notice, but it's also a pain. How do the pockets hold for you? How accessible are small things you need once or twice a day, but want secure the rest of the time?
- Size. Is the ID *way* too big for what I want to carry, or will it just be roomy but not have things rattling around?
- I'm probably not going to buy until May or June, and if there's a new bag coming down the line or new color combinations in process that would be a great fit, I'm open to waiting a bit for that, too. (I've been checking the forums, but might miss something cool.)