Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: How much does your fully packed TB bag weigh?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63

    How much does your fully packed TB bag weigh?

    I've seen a lot of TB bag videos and I know you can pack a ton of stuff into them. Just curious, how heavy is too heavy? I think I read somewhere that a backpack shouldn't be more than 10% of your total body weight. During my last few trips I feel like I over packed and my back definitely paid for it. I'm 5' 6" and about 134 pounds, I am trying to keep my fully packed Tristar under 12 pounds, ideally around 11 pounds. So, how much weight is too much?

    Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Registered User itsablur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    425
    In my A45, depending on where we're going and how much walking/carrying is being done, I generally aim for 18-21 pounds. That's about 9-11% for my body mass.

    Wifey hasn't tried test packing her new A30, but her old 30-35L when packed I think would weigh 12-14 pounds, which is 10 or just over 10%.

    I have carried my bag heavier, and I think I truthfully carry much more than that if you total both my A45 and whatever my secondary carry is. That's the one I need to slim down, but is challenging with my love of cameras and related equipment.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

    Want: EVERYTHING.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63
    Thanks itsablur, I appreciate your response. I guess I'm on the right track. I'm struggling to cut the weight on my bag. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    127
    Last trip my WF weight 15.8 lbs and it was uncomfortable on my shoulders and neck. I came home with a few more items and it was unbearable. WF weight was more than 10% of my weight.

    Last week I flew with my stuffed NORDIC co-pilot only and it worked very well. Weighed about 7.5 lbs.

    I have test packed a Synapse 19 and it's barely tolerable for me @ 10 lbs. 8 lbs is much better. It might just be how the Synapse fits on my body though.

    I like to walk on layovers, sometimes a couple miles, so will continue to lighten my load. Who needs a change of clothing and a toothbrush, right?

  5. #5
    Registered User WendyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    105
    On my last trip, my Aeronaut 30 weighed 14.7 lbs including Absolute Strap. I found it a bit heavy to carry by the strap but okay in backpack mode. I'll leave my running shoes home next time, they weighed over a pound themselves! I was amazed they fit in the end pocket.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    742
    While 10% is the general rule, everybody, or should I say every body, is different.

    As an example, I have a very bad left shoulder. Carrying the bag in backpack mode is okay but I much prefer putting the Absolute Strap on my right shoulder and carrying it cross body--messenger style.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

    Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    132
    I am not the poster child for minimal packing. My S25 has gotten up to almost 20 pounds, my Swift up to 20 (though both of those include a laptop and at least 20 ounces of water) and I've gotten my A45 up to almost 30 pounds. At anything over 15 pounds, my only option is to carry it via the backpack straps. When it's that heavy, I really wish it had a better hip belt. Now that I've typed that out.. think I'll go design myself one.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Last trip my WF weight 15.8 lbs and it was uncomfortable on my shoulders and neck. I came home with a few more items and it was unbearable. WF weight was more than 10% of my weight.

    Last week I flew with my stuffed NORDIC co-pilot only and it worked very well. Weighed about 7.5 lbs.

    I have test packed a Synapse 19 and it's barely tolerable for me @ 10 lbs. 8 lbs is much better. It might just be how the Synapse fits on my body though.

    I like to walk on layovers, sometimes a couple miles, so will continue to lighten my load. Who needs a change of clothing and a toothbrush, right?
    Yes, I definitely agree with you. I like to walk around during layovers also and having a heavy Tristar makes it a lot tougher to do so.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    While 10% is the general rule, everybody, or should I say every body, is different.

    As an example, I have a very bad left shoulder. Carrying the bag in backpack mode is okay but I much prefer putting the Absolute Strap on my right shoulder and carrying it cross body--messenger style.
    Really? I prefer the backpack straps, especially for large international airport terminals. I guess everyone is different in terms of preferences. Appreciate the response.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    On my last trip, my Aeronaut 30 weighed 14.7 lbs including Absolute Strap. I found it a bit heavy to carry by the strap but okay in backpack mode. I'll leave my running shoes home next time, they weighed over a pound themselves! I was amazed they fit in the end pocket.
    Hey Wendy, I think my Tristar weighed about the same during my last trip, quite brutal on my back and neck. I can save almost 2 pounds by wearing my jeans on the plane rather than packing them.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    I am not the poster child for minimal packing. My S25 has gotten up to almost 20 pounds, my Swift up to 20 (though both of those include a laptop and at least 20 ounces of water) and I've gotten my A45 up to almost 30 pounds. At anything over 15 pounds, my only option is to carry it via the backpack straps. When it's that heavy, I really wish it had a better hip belt. Now that I've typed that out.. think I'll go design myself one.
    Yikes, 30 pounds, I don't think I would make it 10 feet with that load. You must be really strong. Have you looked into the TB 1" Waist Strap: 1" Waist Strap - Waist Strap for TOM BIHN bags - TOM BIHN

  12. #12
    Registered User WendyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    105

    How much does your fully packed TB bag weigh?

    Quote Originally Posted by ykang2375 View Post
    Hey Wendy, I think my Tristar weighed about the same during my last trip, quite brutal on my back and neck. I can save almost 2 pounds by wearing my jeans on the plane rather than packing them.
    I wore my jeans on the plane as well. My problem is that I like to take too many shirts because I like having variety. And I brought a dressier outfit because I had a dinner to attend. I must say, I love the packing cubes. They made repacking so much easier.

  13. #13
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    462
    My last trip had 5 days of clothes, a heavy laptop, reading material, etc packed into a Brain Bag that weighed 16 lbs. I'm not as strong as i used to be, but it was still ok. I'm 120-odd lbs. Must be all the hours working my back muscles at the gym...

  14. #14
    Registered User scribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    820
    I have no idea how much my Smart Alec weighed when I went to WorldCon earlier this month, but it was surprisingly comfortable when on my back even though it was quite a weight to lift.

    Contents included two fat paperbacks and a bottle of Scotch, in addition to plenty of clothes and toiletries for 4 days (it was a working convention for me, so I had to look smart). Talk about TARDIS bags!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

  15. #15
    Registered User Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downeast Maine
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Contents included two fat paperbacks and a bottle of Scotch, in addition to plenty of clothes and toiletries for 4 days (it was a working convention for me, so I had to look smart). Talk about TARDIS bags!
    Oh my, a bottle of Scotch? Where do you work and may I have a job there too?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0