Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By icebeng
  • 2 Post By bermudajes
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: In Between Bag?

In Between Bag?

I normally carry an MCB as my EDC. Occasionally, I go bigger (LCB or CP or Pilot) depending on what's going on and occasionally I go barebones and use a SE. Here's my question.

Using the SE and MCB as each end of the spectrum in this case, which bag do you think would be a good "in between" bag? Not too small, like the SE, and not too big, like the MCB.

I had thought about the SCB, but I think that might be too big for what I'm thinking.

(Not entirely sure if this is in the right section, so feel free to move!)
    A45, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

Have you considered Packing Cube Shoulder Bag - Travel Packing Cube Converts to a Shoulder / Messenger Bag - TOM BIHN?

ETA: Brilliant engineering by llkyway and NWhikergal using Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN
    Link: Upper Modular Pocket as a "Side Effect"

Guide's Pack Pockets and Straps - - TOM BIHN with 1" Waist Strap - Waist Strap for TOM BIHN bags - TOM BIHN
    (Can also be set up for shoulder carry using GateKeeper Clips I believe)
    The Lead's Pocket has more organization capabilities, but I think at the cost of available space.

ETA2: Volume of suggested bags

Side Effect: 90 cubic inches / 1.5 liters
    Guide's Pack Lead Pocket/Side Pockets: 165 cu inch / 2.7 liters
    Upper Modular Pocket: 150 cubic inches / 2.5 liters
    Lower Modular Pocket: 215 cubic inches / 3.5 liters
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag: 275 cubic inches / 4.5 liters
    Last edited by icebeng; 08-25-2014 at 07:54 AM.

@al85, what are you thinking you'd carry in this in between bag?
    much love for parapack

@icebeng, I already have the PCSB and it's a bit bigger than I'd prefer. Plus, I like the organization the SE provides. Coincidentally, I have the Smart Alec UMP faved in the hopes that I might be able to try that out someday. I hadn't looked at the Guide's Pack, but I'll give it a glance.

@bermudajes, currently in my SE I have my phone, two organizer wallets, ipod, medium organizer with earbuds & charger cords, a small cosmetic bag (with medicine, glasses wipes, and travel lotion), a pen, and a mini moleskine. I was hoping to maybe carry a little more. Primarily to add in my DOP that has a larger moleskine notebook in it and be able to carry my sunglasses and keys without being overstuffed.
    A45, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

Hmm. While I don't have a SCB (yet), your list sounds like it would fit nicely in that bag - plenty of space without being underfilled or overfilled. At least, I'd use that logic to justify the purchase of a SCB
    WenV and Christine like this.
    much love for parapack

I'm assuming you're talking about a medium DOP, since I can't squeeze even a pocket moleskine into the small DOP. If so, you're going to be out of luck with the modified UMP as it's the wrong shape - most likely you're looking at a Lead's Pocket (which I don't have), though the PCSB or SCB are certainly a good fit.

I find that the SCB is considerably less capacious than the MCB, even allowing for it having 75% of the volume - for me there's a big practical difference between a bag that can take a full-sized magazine in its back pocket and one that can't.
    WenV likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The SCB won't be too big, as a matter of fact this is the bag I was thinking of suggesting after reading your last post, which I linked from the forum home page.

What size is your DOP? If it is Medium or smaller, the SCB is perfect for you

I did the reverse process as you did, I started with a Large Cafe Bag then PCBP Aeronaut or Swift or Brain Bag then S19 with SCB.

When the SE was made in my all time favorite colors, I got it, I mean them.
    However, trying to switch to an east/west EDC, the PCSB organized with my Pouches and Cube EDC didn't work.

I am now back to the SCB, which I know Tom made to measure, just for me*, because it fits me perfectly and weighs nothing.

The SE have been given other functions.

* Tom doesn't make anything to measure except the Skookum dogs collars and blankets Camp Mat - Made in USA Dog Blanket - Skookum Dog
    Last edited by backpack; 08-25-2014 at 09:07 AM.
    WenV likes this.

I second the SCB recommendation and would add - consider the SCB in Dyneema if available, as it compacts down so nicely for travel in a larger bag, and it has a little more give when packing in lumpy items. However even my Cordura scbs are very forgiving of being overpacked. True that they can't hold a large book or magazine.

If you can pack into an SE you will find the SCB fairly capacious.

@scribe, I have the small and medium DOPs, but I carry an extra small moleskine in the front pocket and my pen and a pocket sized moleskine in the back pocket. (Both are soft-cover, so perhaps that's why I can fit both.) I use a large reporter's notebook when I have my MCB.

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at the SCB!

Quote Originally Posted by al85 View Post
    @scribe, I have the small and medium DOPs, but I carry an extra small moleskine in the front pocket and my pen and a pocket sized moleskine in the back pocket. (Both are soft-cover, so perhaps that's why I can fit both.) I use a large reporter's notebook when I have my MCB.
    Ah, that could be it! I have the same extra-small "volant" moleskine in each SE, and I can squeeze a couple of the large moleskine journals (the next size up from "pocket") into the back of my medium DOP, but the thick hardback ones don't fit so well
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0