Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Daylight backpack questions

Daylight backpack questions

Hi,

For those of you have have been using the Daylight Backpack for a while, and maybe ordered two styles and compared them...

- Does the dyneema pack much smaller than the cordura into another bag? This would be a reason to buy the dyneema.
    - Is there a difference in which material is cooler for walking all day? I'm imagining that the dyneema would be slightly better in that regard, and if I did, um, 'glow', it would clean better and not hold odors.
    - Can you use the pockets to organize a lot of items in the backpack without them slipping to the bottom and making it look all lumpy? This is my main caveat against buying one as a day bag for travel. It would hold my iPad, iPhone, jacket, small camera, water and guidebook, most of which are heavy things.

I really like the navy color backpack and was considering getting that last month, then cancelled it, and then considered the black dyneema, and then cancelled that. Right now I haven't tried any of them.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Clearly the answer is order Black Dyneema AND Navy and keep both...because the Daylight is AWESOMESAUCE!

I have a Steel Cordura one and no matter what I pack in it (except that watermelon), it looked totally fine. Not bulgy, not lumpy. The shingled pockets are a genius idea and while the pack does flow around what you pack in it, it never gets too floppy and is very comfortable to carry.

If I were you, I'd put my jacket in the bottom shingle and iPad in the main compartment, and the rest of my stuff wherever I liked and/or it seemed to fit. Unless your guidebook is the shape and size of an encyclopedia, you will be fine!

I've gotten glowy in my Daylight many times and it isn't stinky or stained or gross. Unless you have a clinical problem with your own glowiness, I think you'll be fine. But now I'm making a mental note to sniff you if we ever meet up, LOL.

HTH!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I just returned from a trip to London and used my dyneema DLBP as my day bag and it totally rocked. I wasn't sure I'd use it because I'm not a huge backpack lover for everyday use (I'm more of a designer bag girl in that case). My first day I used my travelon slash protector messenger bag. I had all my daily goodies in it--rain jacket in stuff sack, 3DFOC, OP filled with first aid kit, and when it got warm, my scarf. As I suspected, I hated carrying this much as a cross body bag for about 10 miles. It bothered my shoulder and looked too poofy against my body. The next day, I transferred all these items, plus two water bottles to the DLBP and it made all the difference. I put my jacket in the lower pocket, 3DfOC in the top pouch and water either flat on the bottom or on the sides. I was able to easily stuff my Icebreaker Bliss wrap/scarf in the bag when I got hot. I kept two OPs in the front pocket, along with snacks. I wore this nifty band called a hip sister (designed as a way to have pockets while working out) under my shirt (I hate tucking in shirts so it is very unobtrusive for me) to hold my Oyster card, Chapstick, and a little cash. I barely noticed the bag on my back.

However, on my last day I overstuffed it with lots of tins of tea, biscuits, chocolate, and all my other gear. I packed things in to form to the shape of the bag so it didn't look overstuffed. I definitely felt the weight under these circumstances, but once I drank the water and needed my jacket, all was good again.

I think if you balance the load and don't stuff it to the brim, you'll love it! I am so glad I took the plunge and bought it. I folded it and put it in the backpack strap pocket of my A30. On the way home, I wore it on my back and carried the A30 with a strap since I stuffed it with my goodies.

Daylight backpack questions

I forgot to mention that for traveling home, I put my iPad mini in a medium DOP and placed it in the front packet with my snacks. I can't compare to the cordura, but I'm in love with the dyneema, especially in black! I felt less like a "look at me" tourist.
    ncb4 and eWalker like this.

Thanks for the tips! I'm finding this info very useful. What is a DOP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----

I thought we called the double organizer pouch the DOP. Am I wrong?

Ok, thanks. I don't really know all the abbreviations; that's a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    ...but I'm in love with the dyneema, especially in black! I felt less like a "look at me" tourist.
    I am in love with my Black Dyneema Daylight, too! I'm in love with the Daylight, period...so much so that I just got one in Burnt Orange. And if somebody doesn't stop me, I might order one in Plum, too! I wasn't a backpack girl before this either, but now I'm a total convert.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I am in love with my Black Dyneema Daylight, too! I'm in love with the Daylight, period...so much so that I just got one in Burnt Orange. And if somebody doesn't stop me, I might order one in Plum, too! I wasn't a backpack girl before this either, but now I'm a total convert.
    While you are on a roll, @ncb4, the French Blue Daylight is quite gorgeous!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

@Pokilani, which size DOP fits the iPad mini? Is it loose enough so that it would fit with a slim case that covers the front and pack of the iPad?
    ----

I had your exact choices! Kept the black Dyneema and gave away the navy cordura.

1.The Dyneema packs a little less but more important it packs easier! Easier to fit it in what ever crevice you have left in your main bag.

I am using mine to:
    a) To transform my Pilot into backpack
    b) As a lightweight hiker backpack
    c) Urban EDC
    d) Occasional Shop bag

When not on my back, I carry it on the back pocket of my Pilot.

2. I like Dyneema better then cordura because is more malleable

3. You can arrange your packing list on a DLBP in maybe a dozen ways and at least half of then will be comfortable! Try various straps lengths because the position in your back makes a lot of difference. And give the waist belt a try, it may surprise you! I use mine in a single shoulder configuration to reduce contact area and sweating.

HTH
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

I have the medium DOP. My iPad mini has the blue leather Apple case on it. It fits perfectly in the back pocket.

I'm on a bus so the image is a little blurry...

My other concern -- and the reason I keep vacillating about trying this as a day-bag -- is that many museums flatly don't allow backpacks. I ran into this in Zurich's National Museum last year, where I ended up walking out because even my Co-Pilot was deemed too big, and they wanted me to store it in their locker.

So for those of you who own both, would a packing cube shoulder bag fit well in the daylight backpack? I think this might be a good solution, because I could always put my most important items in that and surrender the backpack if necessary. I would put my jacket, water bottle and guide book in a locker, but not my electronics or other personal items, and those would fit in the shoulder bag. I'm also thinking that the packing cube would provide some internal organization as well.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----

@bchaplin: The PCSB fits perfectly into the bottom of the Daylighter. Obviously you can put it in there vertically but it is also a perfect fit horizontally. I took some quick pictures:

Here the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag inside the Daylighter (horizontally):

Name:  NFBP with PCSB 2.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  530.6 KB

Here shown on top of the Daylighter:

Name:  NFBP with PCSB 3.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  644.0 KB

And here is what I had in the PCSB: a stuffed Packing Cube Pilot small and a Stuff Sack 1 packed. Both filled the PCSB from end to end leaving just a bit space on top of them.

Name:  NFBP with PCSB 1.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  435.6 KB

Since the Daylighter is taperd (write word?), you have to angle the PCBP in, but as soon as you are past the zippers you can straiten it up and it sits there in the bottom real nice. Thanks for the idea by the way!

I hope this helps,
    Ilkyway

Ha, who can find the write descriptions for the write pictures??? Sorry for the mix, I thought I had figured out how this works by now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0