Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Question about pilot/co-pilot

Question about pilot/co-pilot

Hi

I am considering buying a pilot or a co-pilot to use as a EDC/gym bag. I would like to know if you can fit a pair of running shoes or slippers into the pilot or the co pilot?

Thanks
    eWalker likes this.

I just tried it, but it will of course depend on how big the shoes in question are and what size feet you have!

I can fit a pair of men's running shoes (Brooks Beasts, UK size 11) in the main compartment on my Dyneema Pilot. They fit side to side, horizontally in the bag, but they're pretty chunky and although there's room at toe and heel they push out the back of the bag a bit. A less chunky shoe (Beasts are a motion control shoe with a very hefty sole to control pronation) would probably fit better.

I can't even fit one shoe into my Ballistic Co-Pilot.

In general, if you want to carry other stuff with a pair of running shoes I think the Pilot would be a better bet on pure capacity grounds. But again, if you are a very petite lady with size 3 feet (like my grandmother!) you will have a lot more leeway! What is your normal EDC load like?

YMMV!
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    I just tried it, but it will of course depend on how big the shoes in question are and what size feet you have!

I can fit a pair of men's running shoes (Brooks Beasts, UK size 11) in the main compartment on my Dyneema Pilot. They fit side to side, horizontally in the bag, but they're pretty chunky and although there's room at toe and heel they push out the back of the bag a bit. A less chunky shoe (Beasts are a motion control shoe with a very hefty sole to control pronation) would probably fit better.

I can't even fit one shoe into my Ballistic Co-Pilot.

In general, if you want to carry other stuff with a pair of running shoes I think the Pilot would be a better bet on pure capacity grounds. But again, if you are a very petite lady with size 3 feet (like my grandmother!) you will have a lot more leeway! What is your normal EDC load like?

YMMV!
    My normal load consists of
    Lenovo X220 and charger
    Water bottle
    A5 notebook and pen
    PS vita and case
    Magazine and /or newspaper
    Keys
    Anker astro external battery pack
    Book on occasion

And on days when I go to the gym,
    Size 10.5 mizuno kayano
    Change of clothes
    Toiletries
    But I take out the laptop and charger

I was also wondering if shoes could fit in the front left/right compartments of the pilot, but it doesn't sound like it will fit

Last question, for the forest steel pilot, what is the fabric made of for the lining/outside?
    eWalker likes this.

The lining of all Pilots is 200d Dyneema. The exterior is 1050d ballistic nylon for Forest.

Your shoes would have to be pretty small to for in the side pockets. A smaller women's shoe size and low profile minimalist shoes might fit. Larger shoes definitely would not. It is only about 1.5-2" thick.

In the main comportment, they should fit one on to of the other. I can try packing a similar load and taking a picture this morning.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Your shoes would have to be pretty small to for in the side pockets. A smaller women's shoe size and low profile minimalist shoes might fit. Larger shoes definitely would not. It is only about 1.5-2" thick.
    Intuitively (I am out of the country at the mo and don't have my Pilot with me), even a woman's track shoe as small as US 6.5 might be a tight fit, especially for ballistic Pilots. They are all chunky things! If you're talking about the usual track shoe with cushioning, ankle grip, etc., that is.

My $0.02 is that you will probably be able to just about squeeze in your gym-day EDC into a ballistic Pilot. Change of clothing in one front pocket (in a packing cube-type thing, I guess), toiletry bag in the other, water bottle in the centre pocket, keys strapped in front pocket, pens in front pocket, everything else in the main pocket. There may be some room to spare, actually. But @itsablur shall soon enlighten us all on this!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-13-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Just out of interest, I did try one of my (men's UK size 11) Brooks Beasts (they look quite similar to the Mizuno Kayano mentioned by the OP) in a front pocket of my Pilot. Result: the shoe is too long by a good couple of inches, and also too wide. The front end of the shoe will go in, but even if the back end would fit by length, there's no way the front pocket would ever close.

Life would be a lot simpler in many ways, if humans didn't have such large, awkwardly shaped, complicated feet.

I did post a pic of my EDC in my Pilot (Macbook 13", A5 Filofax, small water bottle etc) a while back, but the advanced search ne cooperate pas so I'm unable to post a link to it here. @maggiemee - have you considered one of the small backpacks instead? That might be more suitable for the kind of load you're carrying than a Pilot...
    A45 C/S TS N/S A30 A/W BB N/S S19 N/S P N/S CP B/S; SE W SCB C/O CQPC I,S Ri A/S 3DCC C,F TSS4 W K C TT S,N,B CC C/S PCBP S PP N QK F,C,A

wrong bag for gym I would say. try synapse instead. it can swallow bulky items. the pilot is very flat really.

@PaulT00

Is this the post you mentioned (Post #10 in the thread below)?

Nordic Pilot, a Perfect Fit!

BTW - to all, in an earlier post, @moriond described a very useful way to search for pictures posted on the TB forums - especially if you remember the poster. In the main forum page, there is an Attachement Gallery section near the bottom of the page. When you go to that section, you can search for pictures by clicking the search text word on the top right of the title bar. When the pictures come up from your search and you find the picture you want (may be several pages to look through), look for the upsidedown triangle at the bottom right of the picture you are looking for. Selecting this will bring up a menu where you can view the post the picture came from. I find this function extremely useful - thanks @moriond!

@maggieme, there is another thread talking about EDC and Gym carry in an Ego (and I tried a Zephyr a well). Perhaps this will be of some help as another option:

Ego vs Super Ego

Also, perhaps @aquaris85 can provide some comment after using the Ego like this.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @PaulT00

Is this the post you mentioned (Post #10 in the thread below)?

Nordic Pilot, a Perfect Fit!
    It is indeed. I bow humbly before your superior forum-search-fu.
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

@maggiemee

I have a co-pilot and Ego. Basically co-pilot as my main EDC and Ego for gym days.

For me, the deciding factor for a gym bag will be how well a pair of running shoes fit inside. Shoes are unfortunately of a weird shape with some bulk to it. And I don't like to squash my running shoes. Furthermore, I work in an office setting so after I change into my gym attire, my leathers shoes go into the bag, so I definitely will not want to squash those. And the bag still has to have room for my EDC after all the gym stuff goes in.

The co-pilot cannot fit your shoes. But I got this as my EDC because the Ego will be overkill on non-gym days. Plus the water bottle compartment is absolutely genius.

The Ego will fit shoes and then some. In fact you can fit 2 pairs of shoes in it. I basically put my shoes in a shoebag and then the whole shoebag into the Ego. The Ego is tall enough to place the shoebag vertically, leaving space at the sides for your other change of clothes and toiletries. And all these in just the main compartment. The front compartment under the flap will be able to accommodate all your EDC stuff. The largest items in my EDC is my Ipad mini, and another Deuter pouch that holds a whole bottle of Adidas perfume and wet wipes. My 2 cellphones and wallet goes in there as well. You can check out the thread @tpnl pointed out to see the full list. In short, the front compartment of the Ego alone will fit EVERYTHING I fit in the co-pilot, less the water bottle.

I think the next question you need to ask yourself then, will be whether you prefer a backpack or messenger. I only carry my bags cross-body so definitely a messenger for me, thus the co-pilot and Ego.
    tpnl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by maggiemee View Post
    My normal load consists of
    Lenovo X220 and charger
    Water bottle
    A5 notebook and pen
    PS vita and case
    Magazine and /or newspaper
    Keys
    Anker astro external battery pack
    Book on occasion

And on days when I go to the gym,
    Size 10.5 mizuno kayano
    Change of clothes
    Toiletries
    But I take out the laptop and charger
    I don't have my PS Vita here today, nor do I have an A5 notebook (assume that's a European size), but here is everything else you said you would likely be carrying.

Here I'm packing my wife's gym shoes, which are women's size 6 New Balance Minimus WX20v3 cross trainers. Other stuff includes water bottle, Anker 12000 mAh battery, 3DCOC with toiletries, a medium sized towel, an an A45 fabric End Pocket Packing Cube with gym clothes (shorts, gym shirt, socks).
    Name:  _8134798.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  285.6 KB

3DCOC goes in one side pocket.Name:  _8134801.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  297.2 KB

Battery and the packing cube go in the back.Name:  _8134802.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  371.5 KB

BOTH shoes fit in the other side pocket!Name:  _8134804.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  263.5 KB

Here is a top down of the bag fully packed this way. Still room for your other stuff.Name:  _8134806.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  387.1 KB

Now here is the same stuff, but with some fairly monsterous men's size 9 Reebok ZigTech shoes (I normally wear size 10, but these fit fine).
    Name:  _8134797.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  269.7 KB

My shoes are placed sole to sole, and heel to toe straight down in the main compartment. From experience, this provides a more "flat" load on both the back and front of this pocket. If you just go side by side straight down, the toe side is narrower than the heel side which bulges either in or out of the bag.Name:  _8134807.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  217.7 KB

Towel on top of shoes, and remaining clothes go into the side pocket.Name:  P8134808.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  207.7 KB

Top down for comparison. It's a little fatter, but there is still some room for a few things.Name:  _8134809.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  332.7 KB

It's maybe not the best bag for going to the gym, but it could work depending on what you need to pack for the day.
    Last edited by itsablur; 08-13-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typos
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    It is indeed. I bow humbly before your superior forum-search-fu.
    Thanks for the compliment ... but I am but a grasshopper to master @moriond ... and the other master moderators!

Cheers!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

FWIW, I can also fit men's size 10 dress shoes in the main compartment of my Co-Pilot. That's a bit more of a struggle, and I certainly wouldn't be able to get all of the other items you mentioned in there, but it does go to show that the Pilot is appreciably more spacious.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like putting shoes inside the pilot will be a tight fit... I guess I can use a shoe bag when I go to the gym.
    ( I want a messenger bag for day to day use, so the synapse is out)

If I get the Co-Pilot instead, can the laptop fit inside? the dimensions are 128.20.5–1.5 in.
    I like the black/wasabi co-pilot colour.

Trying hard to decide between the Co-Pilot and the Pilot

btw, the A5 notebook is a paper notebook, not a computer
    Last edited by maggiemee; 08-13-2014 at 09:31 AM.

For my fellow Americano's, A5 is roughly a half sheet of Letter sized paper (more precisely, 5.8 x 8.3 in)
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0