Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn & the NFL

Tom Bihn & the NFL

So football season is almost here and I was lucky enough to pick up tickets to the Browns @ Falcons. I wanted to nail down my best bag option for game day; if anyone has carried under the new policy I would appreciate the input.

Not interested in a clear bag but one that is admissible under this rule:
    •Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium.

I would prefer to use my trusty Side Effect which is approximately the size of a hand ~ not mine, maybe Sasquatch. Personally I would classify the SE as a small clutch bag. It's not as wide as your average women's clutch, and it's unobtrusive. Anyone have success taking one to a game?

My second option is a 3D but I'd prefer to keep my keeps separated from my cell phone, without hacks, to minimize scratches. The 3D is definitely legal.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by RhoFro; 08-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    So football season is almost here and I was lucky enough to pick up tickets to the Browns @ Falcons. I wanted to nail down my best bag option for game day; if anyone has carried under the new policy I would appreciate the input.

Not interested in a clear bag but one that is admissible under this rule:
    •Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium.

I would prefer to use my trusty Side Effect which is approximately the size of a hand ~ not mine, maybe Sasquatch. Personally I would classify the SE as a small clutch bag. It's not as wide as your average women's clutch, and it's unobtrusive. Anyone have success taking one to a game?

My second option is a 3D but I'd prefer to keep my keeps separated from my cell phone, without hacks, to minimize scratches. The 3D is definitely legal.

Thoughts?
    Sounds like a job for the DOP with a handle loop to me!

I've never been to an NFL game, though, so completely disregard my suggestion if someone who actually has been to one gives an opinion.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

or maybe a 3D organizer on a handle loop or on an SE strap?

For the uninitiated, here is the NFL's official stadium bag policy effective last year.

• Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12” x 6” x 12.” (Official NFL team logo clear plastic tote bags will be available through club merchandise outlets or at nflshop.com/allclear), or
    • One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
    • Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the stadium with one of the clear plastic bags.
    • An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at a gate designated for this purpose.
    • Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, non-approved seat cushions*, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size

Last NFL game I went to last year (Packers vs Giants at MetLife) I used a clear tote I got off of Amazon. Looking at what my season-ticket holding cousins were using as clutches, you might be able to swing a Side Effect on a hand strap if the security team isn't looking too closely. The technical size limit of a clutch per the NFL is 6.5" x 4.5". The SE is 2" longer, and a hair wider than that.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

How is the weather in Atlanta in late November? If it's jacket weather, can you carry your phone in a jacket pocket and go with the SE? Otherwise, I like Janine's idea for the DOP. Or what about other stuff in a pouch, inside the SE and your phone free touching the non-zipper side of the pouch? Last NFL game I went to was Packers playing the Bears. It was freezing cold so I had everything stuffed in my pockets!

RhoFro,

I attended a St. Louis Rams game last year and used the 3D clear organizer cube with a shoulder strap. That was fine and held what I needed. I think I packed a bandanna to hide my contents after I got past security. That could help separate your phone (I know you didn't want a hack, but it's simple. :-) ).

I agree with Itsablur that technically the SE isn't within size limits, but it might get through based on how security's feeling that day. How much of a gambler are you? I attended a college football game in the months after September 11 and had a bag the size of a Small Cafe Bag be denied. It was within the size limits, but the security guard wouldn't let me change the bag's orientation to pass through the sizer. Definitely a bit of a power trip that day, which caused me to walk back to my car to store it.

Like hamiltee, most of my experience is with college football. I know the rules vary by stadium (though I WISH they'd enforce the rules across the board the way they do in the NFL), but I never risk bringing anything too large. I've seen way too many bags abandoned at the front gates for this very reason.

(Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, MI no longer allows bags of any kind - they're really picky about wallets, too. Last year I squeezed my phone, a couple of cards, and a little cash into a mini OP, but that made it very difficult to take items in and out. Weather permitting, I just carry the bare minimum in my pockets and make due without anything else.)

Can you put your phone in a non-clear 3D org cube, and your keys in a mini (maybe even a small) OP in the same cube?

Looking at the sizes of various accessories, it looks like all of the main contenders are technically too big to be considered a clutch by NFL standards, usually by about .5".
    • Small Double Organizer Pouch (7" x 5")
    • 3D Clear, Mesh, or Fabric Organizer Cube (7" x 4.3" x 2")
    • Side Effect (8.6" x 5" x 2")

Your closest option would be one of the 3D cubes, and as @terayon suggests, using other OPs inside the cube to organize and protect things. Half an inch should be insignificant enough to pass the eye test unless you get a really strict security person/bag checker.

The other option is to get an NFL sanctioned tote. This whole policy has sprung up a new cottage industry of bags that conform to the regulations. I've found that if you've got a tote, they'll look through it, but unless there is a particularly egregious item in your tote, you'll be fine. I think we just used one tote to carry odds and ends for about 4-5 of us.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

It sounds like my best bet is the 3D cube with a shoulder strap. That's what I was thinking; it's definitely regulation. While the Side Effect is close enough, I'm not comfortable risking a Nordic/Solar SE if they reject it since we'll probably take the train to the stadium. Our stadium is a dome so weather is not an issue.

I just ordered the black parapack option in the 3D since I like the olive pp so much and will make due with my little OP and TB wallet - both cardinal. That makes it a Falcons team color Black/Red combo even though I'm going to cheer on the Browns

Although, since my SE is dyneema, I could pull 2 inches inward to get through security . . . Totally not giving the NFL one more penny for their totes. It all goes to Tom! Frankly it's more about additional revenue than security I think.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Although, since my SE is dyneema, I could pull 2 inches inward to get through security . . . Totally not giving the NFL one more penny for their totes. It all goes to Tom! Frankly it's more about additional revenue than security I think.
    Could very well be true. ... You could also buy not so authentic/unlicensed gear and stick it to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, MI no longer allows bags of any kind - they're really picky about wallets, too.
    I'll be heading back to a college game next month... at Michigan Stadium. Go Blue! No bags allowed here, either. I'll have to do the cargo shorts.

That makes it a Falcons team color Black/Red combo even though I'm going to cheer on the Browns
    If you're cheering for the visiting team, you know security's going to scrutinize you more.

Totally not giving the NFL one more penny for their totes. It all goes to Tom! Frankly it's more about additional revenue than security I think.
    I agree to a point. I'm sure there are a lot of non-transparent bags and purses with NFL logos - more expensive than the clear totes - that have seen sales dips with the new policy. I've seen a few that I would get for a game day purpose only, but no more...
    Last edited by hamiltee; 08-11-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Another option is a Scotte Vest or Jacket... SCOTTEVEST®/SeV - For the Trip of Your Life™ | RFID Vest Comparison

Check out the site--there are a variety of options. I have a vest that has seen many miles--It has been the perfect way to keep me organized and keep my valuables secure when I want to be bag free...:-)
    nsh and itsablur like this.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

@RhoFro, seriously not trying to be a smart alec -- but turn your phone around so the face is away from your keys. That's what I do when I carry the 3D cube. I've also used an OPW to separate the keys from the phone.

I keep meaning to pick up a small neoprene case for when I use my 3Ds, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Sometimes I just fold up a microfiber cloth and nestle the phone in that, with one long side open. Keeps it handy to grab quickly but still protected.
    Last edited by KatrinkaWinkle; 08-11-2014 at 07:22 PM.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic Cocoa d-Black/Solar d-Nordic/Solar
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa d-Nordic/Solar d-Black/Solar

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    seriously not trying to be a smart alec
    Hahaha... when I first read this, I thought, there's no way a Smart Alec would be allowed in an NFL game.

adalangdon and Kay like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0