• 4 Post By Ineffable
  • 1 Post By jed
  • 3 Post By Ineffable
  • 2 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By adalangdon
  • 1 Post By jed

Thread: Laptop in between cache sizes

Laptop in between cache sizes

I've been putting off getting a Cache for a while because my laptop is an in-between size. It is 3cm x 23.5cm x 34cm, which is in between a 6Z (2.8 x 23.2 x 33) and a 4Z (3 x 24.9 x 36.4). CS has recommended the 4Z, but I am a little chary of that-- nearly 1" of excess room is rather a lot, I think? Any recommendations (4Z, 6Z, or something else) would be greatly appreciated! My thanks in advance.

I have a Vertical 4Z Cache and my laptop's dimensions are 3.8 x 22.9 x 33.7 (thicker but slightly smaller L & W than yours). My laptop easily fits in the 4Z but does leave some space at the top (since it's Vertical orientation).

Overall the cache is a bit larger than my laptop in all 3 dimensions and does seem to "poof" out a bit- thought I can't speak to how much of this is due to being carried empty ~half the time.
    Name:  Ineffable_Cache_Open.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  71.0 KB

With my laptop pushed all the way to the bottom there are an extra 3.1 cm space - so as far as I can tell the depth of my cache is 36.8 cm, slightly larger than advertised (Math is fun: 33.7 laptop + 3.1 extra space = 36.8) The yellow line @ 3.1 cm is drawn over the first stitched crease of the flap.
    Name:  Ineffable_Cache_Excess_Space.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  102.0 KB

The flap tucks in farther at the top than at the hinge which reduces the open space a little. Yellow line showing approx where the laptop ends with the flap closed:
    Name:  Ineffable_Cache_Closed.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  201.3 KB

All in all I don't have any concerns about my laptop being safe in the cache. It may scoot 1 cm side to side but not enough that I've ever felt on my back. Same goes for any possible bounce up and down in those 3.1cm of free space - if it is moving I haven't felt it and the laptop isn't any worse for wear as of yet.

All that said, considering all 3 of my interior dimensions are likely just a tad larger than advertised, if your 6Z is the same you may have an almost perfect fit. If you're looking for Vertical I'm only hesitant about the 33 cm (6Z) vs 34 cm (your laptop), that's a full cm larger and may cause issues with the flap closing. Not sure any of this actually helps you make a decision but hopefully it's of some marginal use to you.
    Last edited by Ineffable; 08-11-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

jed
    I just purchased a 6Z and my laptop is dimensions 331x225x25mm and it is a tight fit in the cache. I can't see how yours at 9m wider and 5mm thicker will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    I just purchased a 6Z and my laptop is dimensions 331x225x25mm and it is a tight fit in the cache. I can't see how yours at 9m wider and 5mm thicker will fit.
    Ah, good. I was counting on the possibility of cramming my lappy into a smaller size if the material would allow for it. It appears that it does not (?).

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    lappy
    Please tell me this means something to you?

Name:  Lappy.gif
Views: 269
Size:  202.0 KB
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    Please tell me this means something to you?

Name:  Lappy.gif
Views: 269
Size:  202.0 KB
    Pfft... Hard drive. You were but a wee child if your computers had hard drives! Why in my day I booted off of two 5.25" floppy disks!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

sounds like 6Z from the numbers. too big defeats the snug fit sleekness of cache. otherwise consider brain cell.

Thanks to all for the opinions, especially @Ineffable! I think I'll play it safe and get a 4Z. It's not clear how much leeway I'll have with the 6Z, especially WRT the flap closure issue.

I just took some measurements. It turns out that my current case is larger by a full 1.5" vertically and 2" horizontally. Even if the 4Z is a little loose, it'll be a significant improvement over my current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    otherwise consider brain cell.
    No can do, unfortch. For me, anyway! I inherited a Brain Cell along with my 3rd-hand BB and used it for a few days. It is a great tote-around laptop bag, but it's so hard and chunky inside a backpack that I went back to my crappy much-too-big soft laptop case...

jed
    Thanks to all for the opinions, especially @Ineffable! I think I'll play it safe and get a 4Z. It's not clear how much leeway I'll have with the 6Z, especially WRT the flap closure issue.

I just took some measurements. It turns out that my current case is larger by a full 1.5" vertically and 2" horizontally. Even if the 4Z is a little loose, it'll be a significant improvement over my current situation.
    I think that's a good choice. I was surprised at how tightly the 6Z fits my laptop which is nearly identical to the published dimensions. It takes two hands to get it on or off - as it's what we'd call an 'interference' fit. Even at my computer's dimensions it's stretching the bag. There is no leeway in the sizing.

Volunteer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jed View Post
    I think that's a good choice. I was surprised at how tightly the 6Z fits my laptop which is nearly identical to the published dimensions. It takes two hands to get it on or off - as it's what we'd call an 'interference' fit. Even at my computer's dimensions it's stretching the bag. There is no leeway in the sizing.
    @adalangdon +1 on agreeing on the decision to go with the 4Z and that @Ineffable's pictures really help here. Overall, the current caches do run to tighter fits than their earlier models, and this is especially noticeable for the vertical caches (since I see you plan to use this in your Brain Bag). For background, see, for example, the discussion in the MacBook Pro 15" Retina sleeve so darn tight- something slightly larger? thread. The fit in Brain Cells is a bit more adjustable, but I would just assume that current caches are not going to easily let you go larger than specs, and that you'll also notice this more in the vertical cache designs than the horizontal ones (because of the larger amount of contact your laptop will have with the constraining sides in vertical mode).

HTH moriond

Laptop in between cache sizes

Forgive the necro-posting, but just thought I would post a follow-up. The 4Zs (horizontal and vertical) were way, way too big in all 3 dimensions, so I returned them. They were also bigger than my old already-too-big soft case. Really ought to have taken a picture before sending them back, but never mind. That was a huge surprise for me. I wonder if TB has some sizing issues with the Cache, because I would never have predicted this problem just going by the TB site's fitting guide.

I got the 6Zs today and while it's a squeeze, they fit. I have to stretch the foam a bit to accommodate my lappy, but I think they'll expand in time (I'll let my lappy sit in a Cache when I'm not using it!). The ideal size would be something in between, but I'd take the 6Z over the 4Z any day.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-25-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Side by side. As you can see, the 6Z's external length and width are practically the same as my lappy's!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411648075.001774.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  301.0 KB

After some wrangling

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411648146.429905.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  307.4 KB

The hardest part is getting the laptop all the way in, but all things said, it looks and feels right.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-25-2014 at 05:35 AM.

Did you time yourself on how long it took to wrangle it in?
    I do hope that it wears in soon, can't imagine you having to go through a battle every time you have to use it outside.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post

Did you time yourself on how long it took to wrangle it in?
    I do hope that it wears in soon, can't imagine you having to go through a battle every time you have to use it outside.
    A two-handed wrangle... about 8s! Lol. I'll report back on how things are after a couple of weeks, just in case people are curious.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0