Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Melissa
  • 1 Post By flitcraft
  • 1 Post By Hawaii

Thread: RFID blocking passport pouch

RFID blocking passport pouch

I was just wondering if anyone the passport pouch? Is it comfortable to wear around the waist? Do things (smaller than a passport) fall out due to the Velcro enclosure? Pics would be nice as well

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan1122 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone the passport pouch? Is it comfortable to wear around the waist? Do things (smaller than a passport) fall out due to the Velcro enclosure? Pics would be nice as well
    The Passport Pouch comes with a neck strap/lanyard. I don't think it will fit my waist even at its widest opening. There are two O-rings across the top, so you would have to fashion some means of a waist belt that connects there.

As for the opening, I find nothing falls out. The Velcro is pretty much end to end, so there is nowhere things could slip through. For organization, I have a Pocket Pouch clipped to the O-ring that sits inside the Pouch with my passport. I use it to hold related travel things, like my Nexus card, frequent flyer cards, US SIM card in an old S card case, etc.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I have the passport pouch and keep it clipped into one of the exterior pockets on my carryon for secure, easy access to my travel documents. It might be okay around the waist, but the pocket is a little stiff due to the RFID blocking material. Were you looking specifically for RFID blocking? Or just for a waist clip? Once I get to my destination, my passport goes into the room safe, and I only carry a copy with me. I keep money usually on me in a pocket and other essentials in my side effect.
    Hawaii likes this.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

@itsablur thanks for the descriptive reply! I had no idea that the Velcro is end to end the pictures make it seem like it's only in the middle. The description said it could be worn on the waist so I wasn't sure how due to the lanyard looking short. I'm glad that the pocket pouch works I was thinking of doing the same ☺

@melissa thank you as well. I did not know that the pouch was stiff. I'm looking for something to wear in the pant area to carry my important things around. I'm not fond of neck straps. We will be staying in apartments in various cities so I doubt that there will be a safe 😞

I don't think the passport pouch is designed to substitute for a hidden moneybelt. It is bulkier and stiffer than the typical neck or waist pouch made for that use. I use mine mostly in the airport, so I don't have to fumble around for my etickets, passport, customs forms, etc. On the plane, it keeps the boarding pass for my connecting flight close to hand as well as a credit card in case I decide to buy one of the snack boxes; on international flights I keep my airline frequent flyer card in it for lounge access. To be honest, it's not one of the indispensable Tom Bihn items for me, but it is a convenience.
    Hawaii likes this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

How many passports can fit in the RFID Passport Pouch? I'm loyal to TB but am eyeing up a bigger Saddleback Leather passport wallet that can hold 3+ passports for my family, plus any international currency, ton of cards, etc.
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    How many passports can fit in the RFID Passport Pouch? I'm loyal to TB but am eyeing up a bigger Saddleback Leather passport wallet that can hold 3+ passports for my family, plus any international currency, ton of cards, etc.
    I have used mine with 2 passports. Very easy to get in/out and some extra space.
    Just checked using some old passports. I was able get 6 passports in it, but it bulged, and the velcro wasn't so secure.
    Personally, I wouldn't try to put more than 4 in it.

If you want to store a bunch of stuff like currency and cards, look for another product.
    If you just want to slip in one note and 1 or 2 cards with say 2 passports, that could be OK.
    Jeff A likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    The most I've ever traveled with is two; the wife's and my own. I also put a Pocket Pouch in there holding a bunch of cards, so that could easily constitute a third passport. Beyond that I think it might get tight. It's big enough for me, particularly with the RFID shielding, but if you have a larger family, you might want something bigger (or more than one RFID Passport Pouch! ...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

On a video, somewhere, Maverick says that he can carry 4 passports in his Passport Pouch.

I have a leather carrying case for my passport and other doodahs but I no longer use it since I have TB items which do a better job.

What I have learned over the years, from my own travels and TB forum members, is that, It is always better for each person to carry her or his own pouch, for his or her passport.

During travel, it is always better to spread things out than to place everything in the same container. Thieves are on the look out for those name brand leather travel wallets, and will target the ones who use them.

Furthermore, you might be separated from your family members in the maize between the gate and immigration lines.

You don't have any TB Travel Bags so, let's say you are at baggage claim, and everyone has his or her own bag, except, the biggest piece is not there.
    Your family members get impatient so you open the big leather wallet and give them their passport, immigration paperwork, one credit card and some change so that they can buy a snack before getting on to the next flight or to the rental car or local train...

In virtually every airport, except the ones in the middle east, there are thieves who hang out at terminals, waiting for that one mistake by a weary traveller.

I though that all the security measures had put an end to that, but no, there was a recent, (last year probably), report about that.

I think that the biggest negative about the item you mentioned is that it is big, you cannot hide it anywhere on your person.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0