Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Experience using the Swift as a briefcase?

Experience using the Swift as a briefcase?

I know that somewhere on the forums there is probably a post about using a Swift as a briefcase-like bag for women, but I'll be darned if I can find it. I'm in need of something to use as a professional looking briefcase/daily carry at an upcoming meeting in Chicago and my Synapse 19 just isn't going to cut it. Neither is my Co-Pilot. The bag will need to be big enough for a few files, my iPad Air, and the other daily stuff I'll need (Clear Organizer Wallet, some pouches, maybe a Side Effect). I'm thinking a Swift just might do it? Thoughts? Experiences? Pictures? Thanks!

The beauty of the Swift is its versatility and its professional appearance. I use mine for knitting, I've used it as a tote when I've accompanied my husband to the hospital and I've taken it to meetings. The short answer is "yes," a Swift would work as a briefcase-like bag for a meeting. And best guess is that it will hold the things on your list.

I've used my Little Swift as a conference bag. Because it stands up on its own and is open on top, it was perfect for sneaking in and out of sessions to catch talks scattered around the convention center.

Also, I was able to fit a bottle of Perucchi vermouth in the bag, just in case you arrive at your destination a day early and happen upon an awesome wine shop while walking around town.

Though I have never seen a Swift in person, I was impressed with the video below where they show what non-knitting items can go in the Swift. It made me start to think of the Swift as an option for my wife to use:

Synapse 25, Swift, Ristretto: Everyday - YouTube
    (Note, go past the S25 being packed part to get to the Swift section)

Also, in this flickr set, the last photos show some files in the Swift for reference:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tombih...7629555610054/

I also found these posts:
    Academic Bihnites
    Swift and little swift
    Ways of using Swift for other than knitting?
    Swift

From the above, IMHO, the Swift should hold all your items and more while looking very professional - especially in the darker colors.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I found a few more good links and reviews from "Penguin Girl":

a tale of two swifts | Penguin Girl
    another tale with two swifts | Penguin Girl

Hope this Helps
    Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I have my Field Journal, Side Effect, Kit (stuffed) and various bit and bobs every day. I suspect you'll be just fine with it. The only thing I'm unsure about is the ipad air. I don't know how big it is.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

You are all excellent enablers - I am thiiiis close to placing my order. Just as soon as I figure out which accessories I *need* ;-)
    penny likes this.

I use my Swift all the time as a "briefcase" - it can fit my Macbook Air (13in) in a cache but it sticks out a bit at the top. I don't like using it for airplane travel w/the laptop b/c it doesn't feel secure enough (that's where my S19, S25, or Pilot come in!) but everyday travel to work in a car it works great. In fact, I even have one in my office designated just for transporting my stuff to classes I teach. Here's another plus for the Swift - it folds up pretty compactly and fits great in an Aeronaut so you can use it when you get wherever you're going. Good luck picking your accessories!

Experience using the Swift as a briefcase?

I bought a black ballistic Swift and LS to use as a court and client-meeting bag. Definitely professional enough for junior and mid-level staff

The Swift is really quite roomy. You can fit a couple of thick binders (up to A4, even when oriented horizontally) in a Swift with some room to spare.

If you're putting TB accessories in your bag, you could always prevent them from falling out by tethering them to the O rings. There are quite a number of them in the Swift.

One other great feature about the bag is the Poron foam handles. They've helped me carry a lot of stuff without getting a shoulder ache!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-10-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Aaand of course the Swift is not available in Black. Sigh. Even though the LS is available in Black, I'm thinking it really won't be big enough for what I'd like it to be able to do. But then again, if I order the LS in Black Dyneema/Iberian, it would certainly fold flat in the bottom of my suitcase for use at my destination. And I already have TONS of Iberian accessories. Hmmm.....
    backpack and penny like this.

Would Parapack Navy / Navy Iberian work - or the Ballistic Navy / Navy Solar? They are both in stock. Also, maybe call them if you really want black in case they have 1 in the showroom!

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    Aaand of course the Swift is not available in Black. Sigh. Even though the LS is available in Black, I'm thinking it really won't be big enough for what I'd like it to be able to do. But then again, if I order the LS in Black Dyneema/Iberian, it would certainly fold flat in the bottom of my suitcase for use at my destination. And I already have TONS of Iberian accessories. Hmmm.....
    Warning: if you need your bag to stand up on its own, you will probably want to get a ballistic Swift/LS. I recall reading somewhere that parapack Swifts tend to slump/flop. Since Dyneema is floppier, you will likely experience the same problem with that fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Warning: if you need your bag to stand up on its own, you will probably want to get a ballistic Swift/LS. I recall reading somewhere that parapack Swifts tend to slump/flop. Since Dyneema is floppier, you will likely experience the same problem with that fabric!
    I can confirm that the Dyneema Swift and Little Swift are floppy. I love Dyneema but you do have to adjust the material inside accordingly to make the bags stand up.

I'm not sure how much I'm worried about bag floppies - I think the color is more important at this point. I'll think this over in the few hours I have before the store opens, and give them a call to see if there's a black Swift floating around somewhere.

Aww! Thanks for the enjoyment of my swift posts! I'm terrible at keeping up with forums, but feel free to contact me directly if you have questions!
    nukediver and tpnl like this.
    Co-Pilot black/steel, Swift olive/linen/steel, Little Swift black/black/uv

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0