Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By jannilee
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By Melissa

Thread: Question About Western Flyer

Question About Western Flyer

Are the annex clips inside the Western Flyer appropriately placed so that I can attach a cache for iPad with the rails? Does anyone have one set up that way?

Do they (or did they) make a cache with rails for the iPad?
    Last edited by Melissa; 08-07-2014 at 04:48 PM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Are the annex clips inside the Western Flyer appropriately placed so that I can attach a cache for iPad with the rails? Does anyone have one set up that way?

Do they (or did they) make a cache with rails for the iPad?
    The annex clips inside the WF accommodate a brain cell but not an iPad cache, which uses a rail loop system. However, the Tri-Star can accommodate both a brain cell and an iPad cache.

I have a WF but not a TriStar. I think the brain cell is too bulky since I need to pack clothes in that section. Oh well....glad I checked before I ordered!
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

@Melissa - If you feel adventurous - for my pre-Cache with Rails TriStar, I sewed in the "Rail Loops" myself to make it compatible with the Cache with Rails System. The only to add are 2 pieces of webbing with the ends sewn together to make a loop and attached to the bag.

The 2 "Rail Loops" are centered on the length of the bag and are 7" apart webbing centre to webbing centre. This is for a Horizontal Cache. For a Vertical Cache, they are 4" apart centre to centre. You need to make sure you buy the right Cache - Horizontal or Vertical depending on what "Rail Loop" distance you choose (4" or 7").

See this link for how I added the loops to my backpacks and how they are attached to a Tri-Star from the factory:

tpnl's idea - Brain Cell with rails
    rails for other bags? brain cell with rails?

On a side note - Are you saying you got an Black/Iberian Western Flyer? I too am afflicted with this Black/Iberian fondness ... pictures if do please!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I put my ipad in the larger front pocket. Since i dont pack to bulginess it works fine.
    tpnl likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Melissa I asked back in March about whether they might be planning to add rail loops to the Western Flyer, and was told there were no plans at the time to do so. Here's the dialogue:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Beau In another thread @Tizi asked about using the Western Flyer as a briefcase. Are currently manufactured models of the Western Flyer being fitted with the rail loops so they can be used with the Cache with Rails similar to the Tri-Star?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    That's a negative, moriond. The upcoming batch of Western Flyers will not have any rail loops and, as far as I know, there aren't any plans to add that feature.
    That said, have you considered just stowing your iPad inside its cache in the back pocket sleeve of your WF, since you have the version for rollerboards? You could stash it into one of the two pockets that come in the rollerboard version of the Western Flyer:

Name:  wfblog5.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  172.0 KB

Then, if you wanted easier access during your flight, you could transfer it to the back pocket once the WF was off of your rollerboard. Here's the bottom view of the back zippered pocket showing where it can accommodate the rollerboard handle

Name:  wfblog3a.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  87.2 KB

Here's the view showing that you could place your iPad in the back zippered pocket shown holding a magazine during your in-flight access:

Name:  wfblog2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  145.1 KB

If I were using a WF with backpack straps, I'd just stow the iOad in a cache into the back zippered pocket for the backpack straps. For more pictures of the Rolling Luggage version of the WF, see this blog post.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post

On a side note - Are you saying you got an Black/Iberian Western Flyer? I too am afflicted with this Black/Iberian fondness ... pictures if do please!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    @tpnl, I believe @Melissa got a Cardinal/Steel WF in the rolling luggage handle version from another forum member.

HTH moriond
    tpnl likes this.

Really hope the roller handle version comes back soon - that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

@tpnl, I believe @Melissa got a Cardinal/Steel WF in the rolling luggage handle version from another forum member.

HTH moriond
    I DID! I DID!!!! I luvs my new (to me) Cardinal WF! I am hardly able to concentrate at work as I am thinking how I will pack it for next trip (3 days at Disneyland). I am getting ready to order accessories!
    Last edited by Melissa; 08-08-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    tpnl and Jeff A like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0