Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By mjpinter
  • 2 Post By Ineffable

Thread: Anyone using (2) caches with a Synapse?

Anyone using (2) caches with a Synapse?

Hey friends -
    I have a relatively new Synapse25 that I'm still tweaking and working into my life. I have a 13" MBA that I use with a Cache rails in the bag. I also carry an iPad. The current dilemma - whether or not to get a 2nd Cache on rails for the iPad. I have a Timbuk2 sleeve that I can keep the iPad in to protect it in the bag with other things around it.

I'm curious if anyone out there has two Caches for this purpose and how the spacing works out with it. I am not sure if it eats up a lot of space having two cache's hanging from the top of the bag, vs letting the iPad have a bit more flexibility in where it goes in the bag.

Then again, it could just be a matter of preference, but I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Hi mlynton,

I have on occasion used two caches in my S25, one on the back wall of the bag (that is closest to your back) with a MBA 13'' and one inside the elastic pocket on the other side of the bag with a MBA 11''. I have found that when I don't have my kleen kanteen or other water bottle/coffee mug in the water bottle pocket this set up works just fine. However, I don't like how rigid everything feels if I want to use those outer pockets of the Synapse. I like the protection that the suspended caches give the computers, but when I am taking my iPad I find that I actually prefer a cache or sleeve that I can remove with the device (like a Timbuk2 one, or the iPad cache without rails). The reason for this is that this allows me more flexibility when it comes to packing the rest of my Synapse, and gives the device more protection when I put it between, say, a light layer in the big elastic pocket and a cache on rails with a computer.

I would definitely say that it all depends on what you carry, and how much your daily load varies from day to day or week to week.

Best,
    mj
    tpnl and itsablur like this.

I don't have a 2nd TB Cache but I do have a thick padded case for my tablet which I have at times suspended with keystraps from the front anchor points. This tablet case is roughly the same size as TB's 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina Cache for perspective. Hung via gatekeeper clips on the back is a Size 6Z TB Cache for my 15" work laptop.

I don't particularly like having anything suspended from the front as it blocks access to the interior pouch of the main compartment. I suppose an official cache on rails would at least let you slide it out of the way quickly but I would still find it a bit cumbersome.

I set it up and tossed in 2 1" notebooks between the cache and case. I was able to put my 27 oz Klean Kanteen in the water bottle pocket and did notice a slightly larger bulge in the front, but functionally the pocket was still fine (zipped fine, no pressure on any seams).

Name:  Ineffable_Synapse_2Cache.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  151.5 KB
    tpnl and itsablur like this.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    I was able to put my 27 oz Klean Kanteen in the water bottle pocket and did notice a slightly larger bulge in the front, but functionally the pocket was still fine (zipped fine, no pressure on any seams).

Name:  Ineffable_Synapse_2Cache.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  151.5 KB

Agreed. I am just really sensitive about bulging, I guess.