Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Buy the current Aeronaut 45 or wait for the new version?

Buy the current Aeronaut 45 or wait for the new version?

Hi again,

Well, I'm sure this info must have already been debated, but I couldn't find it in the forums. If someone can point me to the thread, it'd be much appreciated

What I'm wondering is: Are the upcoming design changes to the Aeronaut 45 worth the price increase? Perhaps someone with experience with the A30 can testify. I noted a few design changes including the zipper orientation, but I'm tempted to just order the current version of the A45 since it'd be $30 cheaper (which would help offset shipping costs to Japan)

Do the current Aeronaut 45's still have the old-style zippers? I think this would be the most significant difference, and it really depends on which style you prefer aesthetically. The new zippers will probably look better in the long term, because it won't be visually obvious when the rubber starts to wear slightly. This affects looks but not function; the zippers will still be waterproof either way.

Otherwise, my understanding is that the price increase is due to TB 'catching up' with the cost of the labor and materials, based on pricing the Aeronaut 30's and assessing the current costs. I don't know if the differences between the two models will be that dramatic.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Slightly off-topic question re zippers-- are the right-side-up zippers a change confined to the Aeronauts, or might they be coming to other bags like the Synapses or SA? (Have no preference either way as long as the zippers don't break; merely curious.)

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Slightly off-topic question re zippers-- are the right-side-up zippers a change confined to the Aeronauts, or might they be coming to other bags like the Synapses or SA? (Have no preference either way as long as the zippers don't break; merely curious.)
    It was also changed when they went from the Co-Pilot to the Pilot. I won't read into that as a design change being implemented everywhere, but aesthetically I prefer the "right side up" look. After 10 months with the CP and years with some non-TB bags with the reverse orientation, I don't like seeing the wear on the rubber, or the dust/dirt it seems to pick up.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Me, I prefer the concealed zipper teeth. There was a little fraying on my Smart Alec, but it wasn't conspicuous. No problem at all on the Synapse. I like the sleeker look of the concealed zipper. If this matters to you, call customer service to find out what's currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Do the current Aeronaut 45's still have the old-style zippers?
    I believe so...I thought there were some other minor changes as well. I do prefer the zippers right side up though...but, if I do order it now, I realized I have a chance to pick it up in person during an upcoming trip to the states...so that would save me $65 total ($30 less for the current gen + $35 in saved shipping). I could put that extra cash towards some packing cubes! If the zippers are the main difference, I think its better to just order one now (plus they are offering a color combo I like--Black/UV)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Design updates in the Aeronaut 30 you’ll find include: both exterior end pockets are zippered, the main compartment snaps have been replaced with zippered dividers, allowing you to turn the Aeronaut 30 into a one or two compartment bag when you need it to be, and the Aeronaut 30′s YKK Aquaguard® waterproof coil zippers have been flipped to be “right side up”, which basically means they’ll last even longer.

These design updates will be making their way to the Aeronaut 45 in the next 4-6 weeks, at which point the price of the Aeronaut 45 will be updated to $280. See here for more info/background on the price updates.

I know it's a little confusing that the Aeronaut 30 is more than the Aeronaut 45; we just wanted to wait to update the price of the Aeronaut 45 until it had the new design updates. Hope this helps a little!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

IMHO:

The main design improvement on the A30 I like seeing on the A45 is the fact both exterior end pockets are zippered - makes sure things do not fall out and much more usable if using it in backpack mode. However, to mitigate this on the current design, I just put on some sticky backed Velcro hidden a 1/2" in the pocket - not perfect but gets the job done.

The zippered dividers are good too and add better 3 to 2 to 1 compartment functionality but I am fine with the current snaps.

The zipper flip is the biggest visual change that adds more wear "longevity" (ie rubber wear does not show) and, from what I read, a bit more ease of zipping/unzipping. However, I love the "stealth" of the existing reverse zippers - especially with the black on black rubber / ballistic nylon bag I have.

Of course, we do not know if there are going to be more colors like with the A30 - coyote looks very appealing to me!

The design change I would pay extra for are the exterior end pocket zippers but with the above and the increase in price as well as perhaps the increase in shipping if getting the newer version, I think the current Aeronaut is a good bet if they have the color / material you want and there are workarounds for the open end pocket.

--------------
    However, beyond the functional, perhaps the most important thing is whether the updated Aeronaut would "look and feel" more like you and whether it calls to you. If you hope for more colors / like the look of the right side up zippers or really like the new exterior zippers, wait for the new version.

E.g. For me, the black ballistic / Iberian with stealth reverse zippers really called out to me and I had to get it - even though I already had a Tristar and Brain Bag. However, the steel version does not call to me even though I know it is a better "blend" into most conservative environments. So, if I could only get a steel Aeronaut, I would not have gotten it - Black and Iberian - where do I sign!

It is worth the price increase if you feel you would "want" to use the new version more than the old version of the bag - “It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!” (as the Sheryl Crow song states).

You can see this idea coming through in so many posts on this forum and I think that is the secret that TB products have over others (TB special secret sauce?). Targus bags are great laptop bags - but do I say to myself "I really WANT to take my Targus bag with me to the local coffee house or on my business trip" - NOT.

Hope this ramble helps a bit!

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-04-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Design updates in the Aeronaut 30 you’ll find include: both exterior end pockets are zippered, the main compartment snaps have been replaced with zippered dividers, allowing you to turn the Aeronaut 30 into a one or two compartment bag when you need it to be,
    Thanks Darcy. Yea it helps. If I understand correctly the interior zippers replace the button snaps from before. And these zippers can be unzipped entirely, so that essentially you can make a one compartment bag?? (previously, I understand the button snaps just allowed you to expand the end pockets slightly). This is huge! If so, I'll wait until the updated design for the A45 since I think that flexibility will come in super handy.

thanks.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    You can see this idea coming through in so many posts on this forum and I think that is the secret that TB products have over others (TB special secret sauce?). Targus bags are great laptop bags - but do I say to myself "I really WANT to take my Targus bag with me to the local coffee house or on my business trip" - NOT.

Hope this ramble helps a bit!

Cheers!
    I super like your quoted line. Hence, my wife and I are super excited and looking forward using our A45 and coming Pilot to our Taiwan trip next month - one-bag carry. First time, in our life - that far and for about 1 week.

Though, it is a bit sad (not terribly) that my recent 1 month old A45 Navy/Solar couldn't get the latest update. It is alright, I should able to live without.
    tpnl likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

I have the A30, and it seems to me that the zippers don't unzip completely to allow access from the main compartment to the sides. They do open up enough to allow you to access all that space -- if that makes sense, but there is still a panel of dyneema between the main compartment and the side material.. I would take a photo but there is too darn much I have left to do tonight. Maybe someone else will jump in and provide a better explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Thanks Darcy. Yea it helps. If I understand correctly the interior zippers replace the button snaps from before. And these zippers can be unzipped entirely, so that essentially you can make a one compartment bag?? (previously, I understand the button snaps just allowed you to expand the end pockets slightly). This is huge! If so, I'll wait until the updated design for the A45 since I think that flexibility will come in super handy.

thanks.
    tpnl likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

The zipper simply extends the area of the main compartment into the side compartment. You will not have access to the main compartment from the side zipper. Here is a picture.

I had a pair of shoes in the side compartment. I removed the shoes (in a TSS), unzipped the zipper in the main compartment and stuffed the shoes in there. It's a little hard to see, but this picture shows the bulge of the shoes into the side compartment. I stuffed it in as far as it will go. Again, hard to see, but while it can reach the end of the bag, it does not reach to the top of the bag.

This allows you to place some additional items in the side compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bchaplin and tpnl like this.

Here is one more view.

tpnl likes this.

There was enough space for my Tumi accessory pouch and a Q-kit.

tpnl likes this.

Thanks pokilani. Gotcha. Still, being able to expand like that seems very useful. I take it that the button snaps on the current model don't allow as much expansion, comparatively speaking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0