Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gadget Guy

Thread: Absolute shoulder straps

Absolute shoulder straps

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask if the absolute shoulder strap that i bought together with my Aeronaut 45 is similar to that of the NFTD. if so, what's with the price difference?

Bob,
    The A45 does not come with any shoulder strap, since it's initially a backpack. The NFTD comes with the Standard, and the $20 is the swap out price.
    My past experience is as follows.
    1. I have purchased eight bags from Tom Bihn that can use a Absolute Strap, and have purchased one for each of them. All have been the same, even my Ristretto purchased four to five years ago.
    2. Typically TB charges the exact price difference between what you are not taking and what you're adding. In this case You're not taking the $18 strap (which used to be $12 when I bought one in Dec 2013 to see what it looked like) and paying $20 more, which means you're only getting $10 back for the standard strap, instead of $18. That's pretty unusual for TB and probably means one of the items are under priced and will be updated soon.
    3. There are no discounts on the add-ons (i.e. packing cubes purchased with the bag) so if you added it to your original bag order or purchased it later, it would be the same. Only caveat would be price changes between purchases.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget Guy View Post
    Bob,
    The A45 does not come with any shoulder strap, since it's initially a backpack. The NFTD comes with the Standard, and the $20 is the swap out price.
    My past experience is as follows.
    1. I have purchased eight bags from Tom Bihn that can use a Absolute Strap, and have purchased one for each of them. All have been the same, even my Ristretto purchased four to five years ago.
    2. Typically TB charges the exact price difference between what you are not taking and what you're adding. In this case You're not taking the $18 strap (which used to be $12 when I bought one in Dec 2013 to see what it looked like) and paying $20 more, which means you're only getting $10 back for the standard strap, instead of $18. That's pretty unusual for TB and probably means one of the items are under priced and will be updated soon.
    3. There are no discounts on the add-ons (i.e. packing cubes purchased with the bag) so if you added it to your original bag order or purchased it later, it would be the same. Only caveat would be price changes between purchases.

Hope this helps.
    Hi Gadget Guy, Thanks for the insight!

My A45 comes with the Absolute strap as an add-on for 30$, just wanted to make sure it is the same as i am buying a NFTD. Is it the same right?
    Last edited by BobNagasaki; 08-02-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Exactly the same in my experience.

I love the Absolute Strap and would get a few anyways to use with other bags at the same time or give as presents/stocking stuffers for other traveller friends.

BTW - Did you buy your Aeronaut / Shoulder Strap a while back?

If so and your Absolute Strap has padding that is straight, you may want to try a newer one as it has been updated.

The Absolute Stap was updated to have a longer curved pad in 2009. See this link:

http://www.practicalhacks.com/2009/1...p-gets-better/

Cheers!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-03-2014 at 07:42 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0