• 3 Post By sturbridge
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By thunderkey
  • 1 Post By JLE
  • 1 Post By Hawaii

Thread: What do ppl use for DOPP bags

What do ppl use for DOPP bags

I have my 3-1-1 tom bihn and so does my husband and we love them

sometimes on certain trips I have a few more things that do not need to go into the 3-1-1. What else do people use for their toiletries>
    I was thinking about getting another one of these but then I was thinking I would get them confused at security. Although if I got different colours that would help LOL
    Last edited by moriond; 08-02-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Changed spelling for clarity

I use a clear quarter packing cube, and put my 3-1-1 in a ziploc inside this for easy removal, but then once I'm through security, everything I need in the bathroom is all in one place (toiletries, makeup, glasses and contacts, first aid). I've tried using multiple pouches but I find I never have the right one I need with me at a given moment.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. On the way: coyote/steel Side Effect. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

I pack with clear quarter packing cube as well. For 2+ more weeks, I keep my liquids in their own pouch throughout, but add my travel towel, washcloth, and laundry supplies to the CQPC, which are all used in the bathroom.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

how do they fit in the tristar?

Volunteer Moderator
    @sdophoto I edited the title of your post to fix the the spelling of "Dopp". Hope that's OK -- just thought that some people, especially those for whom English is not their first language, would get confused by word "DOP", or wonder whether it was an acronym because of the all Caps spelling (like @eWalker's use of BOB for Bugout Bag).

moriond

I'm 35 and a native English speaker and didn't know what a Dopp bag was - so thanks
    kkintea and Hawaii like this.

JLE
    I use a parapack Side Effect for non-liquid toiletries. The little interior pockets provide exactly the right amount of organisation for small things that otherwise tend to get lost and the main compartment is perfectly sized for longish things like toothbrush, comb, makeup brushes etc (although actually I keep makeup and brushes in a separate cosmetics pouch). I keep one permanently packed.

In the past I have used a dyneema 3D cube and although the smaller size is probably a little better for my needs (I still use these for my sons' toiletries), the little interior pockets in the SE are what really make it perfectly suited to this purpose!

Besides, the navy parapack makes me happy....
    Last edited by JLE; 08-02-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderkey View Post
    I'm 35 and a native English speaker and didn't know what a Dopp bag was - so thanks
    @thunderkey I don't think this word ("Dopp Kit" or "Dopp Bag") is frequently used now, but it appears elsewhere in other forum posts. People now seem to use it to refer to a general toiletry bag, but it used to be associated with a specific shape of bag, and particularly for men's toiletries. That design shape has made it to other products, such as Eagle Creek's Pack-It Specter™ Quick Trip or the non-Specter version of their Pack-It Quick Trip which was reviewed here by a Tri-Star user.

FWIW even Tom's own account of designing the Kit, which is the now-retired, much larger predecessor of the Q-Kit gave the following description:
    Source: Product page for the Kit emphasis added in quote; link is to blog post Introducing the Kit from 2009 (via the Internet Archive)
    Tom on designing the Kit:
    I'd like to claim the Kit as a highly original design, but alas I cannot. I noted that a few Japanese women in my French class (in Montreal) had these very chic and subtle pencil cases -- the shape and construction of which sort of stuck in my head. So, when Ms. D asked for a cosmetics case, the Kit is what she got.

But don't be mislead by the story: you needn't be a woman to find this little bag useful and beautiful. The Kit also makes a great men's dopp kit. -- Tom
    For more pictures of the Kit, see this blog post (The greyed out color was Forest Ballistic Nylon, BTW).

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-02-2014 at 04:25 PM.

What to use for toiletries continues to evolve for us.
    AS the head packer, I find it easier to pack multiple slimmer bags or pouches. For convenience it is nice to have everything together.

Last trip went with one bag (ec packit medium sac) for DH. For plane segments, just stuck whole bag in the suitcase.
    Still had his hairbrush separate.
    For me I used 3 pouches: 1 Clear 3DOP for 311 liquids, 1 clear 3DOP in another color for solids. The only thing that didnt fit easily was my full size toothbrush. That went in an EC specter sac with some other misc things like qtips, bandaids.

I have on order 2 Clear quarter packing Cube. Thinking this might be a good way to separate DHs dry and wet items, yet have everything together.

FYI I have had no problem with the Clear 3D bag as a 311 bag EXCEPT at Heathrow LOndon.
    When I pulled out the my 3D bag, she handed me a quart clear baggie, and said I had to put all my stull in that. Being a bit of a worry-wart over leakage, I actually had all the liquids, gels in a normal quart baggie inside the 3D pouch. AS I pulled it out, she realized I did not have more than the limit after all, and told me to just stick it back into the the 3 D.
    moriond likes this.

Right, I got it after I saw the Wikipedia page, just had never heard that term for it. 😀

I use a clear organizer cube for 311 stuff and a 3D cube for everything else. I've put a long key strap on each (not my idea, there's a whole thread somplace) and they hang together when I get where I'm going. I put up a photo someplace but can't find it. Maybe moriond will rescue me, again.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I have a pencil-sized clear organizer pouch that I use as part of my EDC for emergency toiletries/touch-ups - sample size Pit Paste, small comb, floss, chapstick, and a luna cup. When I'm traveling, this becomes my only deodorant, comb, floss, etc. Then I use the clear organizer cube for liquids (soap, coconut oil (moisturizer), toothpaste) plus I usually squeeze my travel toothbrush and razor in there. Though I am thinking about switching the clear organizer pouch for a different size/shape - want something not quite as long and that can also hold my everyday coconut oil (in a 2 oz cosmetic jar, just a touch too big for the pencil-sized pouch). I like the flat-ness of the pencil pouch though since it doesn't take up too much room while sitting easily horizontally in the back of a Side Effect or vertically in my larger everyday purse.

I use a 3D clear organizer cube for liquids and a cordura organizer pouch for non-wet things (tooth brush, razor, etc...) I also have another 3d organizer pouch with powdered make up that I pack on the rare trips where I will be wearing makeup. All my pouches are plum, and when I got married, I got my husband a matching set of pouches in wasabi (and his own set of Go Toobs and such) and we leave them all packed and on the "travel shelf" which makes it really easy to pack for one or both of us.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0