• 4 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By bchaplin
  • 5 Post By Frank II
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 2 Post By Pokilani
  • 1 Post By saikyo

Thread: Keeping yourself clean while using the aeronaut

Keeping yourself clean while using the aeronaut

I'm considering an aeronaut45 and I've never tried using soft luggage like this before. Assuming I get everything packed inside, I'm wondering how people keep it relatively clean.

For example, I often take taxis in developing countries and have to store luggage in their sometimes oily trunks. I also wonder where I should put the bag when I have to use the airport restrooms.

Basically, since I plan to carry it on my back most of the time, all that gunk is going to get transferred to the clothes on my back.

What do you all do to keep yourselves relatively clean when using the aeronaut?

Thanks.
    eWalker likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I hang up or wear my TB bags while using the public restroom. As for oily trunks, try slipping it into a garbage bag, then invert the bag and stuff it into a ziplock/pouch/pocket between trunk trips?
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I try to keep my luggage with me in a taxi, particularly if it is small and soft-sided. Less chance of theft that way, or the taxi driving off and forgetting to give you back the luggage. I just say that I need to use the time to re-arrange my things if they ask.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Bchaplin, I like your solution better. I think I've ridden in a taxi a total of 1 time in my life, so I don't have much experience in that department. Balancing bags or tiny humans worn in slings while using the restroom I have a ton of experience with however.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I did not notice the part of the question asking where to keep the bags while in a restroom. IMO, this is sometimes problematic. If there is a hook sturdy enough to hang the bag on the door -- great. Otherwise I evaluate the cleanliness of the floor and make a decision. I am curious which countries the OP travels to. I remember one trip to Dar es Salaam, where I searched out the airport bathroom (which was in the basement), and discovered hundreds of giant (dead) cockroaches spread across the floor. In that case I reconsidered the need to relieve myself, and decided I could hold on a while longer.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

No disrespect meant, but this is a photo of an Aeronaut 45 inside a 13 gallon drawstring trash bag:

Name:  Aeronaut45 in Trash Bag.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  104.4 KB

I bought a box of 10 at the dollar store. Take them out of the box, keep them rolled up, and put them in your bag. They take up no room and weigh nothing. Then, when you need to protect your Aeronaut, take out a trash bag and put the Aeronaut inside. (This should work in your taxi trunk.)

As for the bathroom thing...well...from your name I'm going to guess you're a member of the male persuasion. We have it easier than the ladies. While they have to undo stuff, all we have to do is act like a simple camera--point and shoot. I just either put the bag on my back, sling it over my shoulder or if necessary hang it up in the stall. Or, use my trash bag trick if there is no hook.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

My first choice for the bathroom is to not even bring the bag into the washroom with me. If you have travel companions, and they are not using the bathroom (or you are going in shifts), leave it with them.

Preference is a hook if they're strong enough looking. If you must put the bag down either in a stall or a dirty trunk, I try to put it on top of something else (like a clean [relative] newspaper). Failing that, I put it on it opening side down so that putting the bag back on as a backpack, I won't get (as) dirty. If you have good balance, I stand the bag up on my feet and hold it while sitting.

From a security standpoint, you always have to be very careful with any bags in a stall. You're a pretty easy snatch and run target. Conceptually, I think the bag is safer on the hook since A) it's harder to see, and B) it's generally packed heavy enough that someone reaching over the door/wall to snatch it is going to have a hell of a time trying to pull it over the top and I should have enough time/awareness to grab on to it at that point.

That said, like @bchaplin, I would try to keep the bags with me in a taxi/bus/tuk-tuk if at all possible. I try not to keep any real valuables in my A45 while travelling; all of those generally go in my Co-Pilot or whatever my other bag is. That bag never leaves my side.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I mostly keep my bags on me while in the stall. I read a book once where the main character put it on the hook and while in midstream (sorry), the bag was snatched. Since then, I have a hard time using the hook unless the bag is heavy and the hook is strong enough. Although there are some bathrooms that put the hook in the middle of the door to prevent that so I will take advantage of the hook then. I will put the bag on the floor if it has feet (my Tumi tote does), but I hold on to or slip my leg through the strap in the event someone tries to snatch it from below the door. Since that is not an option with a TB, I will just wear it.

Wow, everyone, thanks for the replies. I feel more reassured that there are ways to handle this particular dilemma.

@bchaplin I sometimes go on business trips in SE Asia and India. I remember a particular time while in Malaysia where the only taxi I could flag down was one of the cheaper (i.e. dirtier) variety and the trunk was decidedly unclean. Of course, grime or gunk can be found anywhere, not only in these locations.

About the bathrooms, I was more worried about those times when I have to take a seat. If the stall hook is strong enough, I'd gladly hang it, but I'm assuming an aeronaut would be pretty heavy right? I mean, if I'm using it for my main travel bag, it will have almost all my stuff in it. I think it'd have a good chance of sliding off or breaking the hook.

About garbage bags, thats a good idea. I just started using them this year when I carry on my S25 and put it under the seat. As I think I mentioned in a previous post, I was so lucky last month because a kid in front of me threw up on the floor. My S25 was fine though!!!

Hanging an Aeronaut that is being used for international travel on a bathroom hook isn't going to work. It will surely be too heavy.

Travelling alone and needing to use the bathroom with your luggage on you can indeed be tricky... Stuffing a garbage bag into the unzippered side pocket of the Aeronaut is something I might start doing myself, as I also travel a lot in SE Asia aqnd have the taxi issue.

You could also use the same in a bathroom! Good stuff.
    Rufus likes this.
    Pilot: Black Ballistic Nylon / Iberian
    Aeronaut: Steel/Ultraviolet
    Stuff: Snake Charmer / Packing Cube Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by saikyo View Post
    Hanging an Aeronaut that is being used for international travel on a bathroom hook isn't going to work. It will surely be too heavy.
    Yea, you're probably right.... well, I suppose most of my travel does include a coworker, so maybe I'd be alright!

Rufus, you may find some interesting suggestions in the thread titled "under seat bag storage". Sorry I can't post links from this device. The thread, while older, is amusing and full of suggestions.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Thanks Moose. I read through that one a while back. I think I'll revisit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I mostly keep my bags on me while in the stall.
    +1 unless there's a stout hook available. This is one place backpack straps come in handy!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0