Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By itsablur

Thread: Has anyone permanently removed the Backstraps?

Has anyone permanently removed the Backstraps?

I have both a WF and Tristar and in two years have probably only used backstraps on one occasion. I always carry them on by shoulder or with my hand. Since I don't use them, I just view the backstraps as occupying space and constituting additional weight and am tempted to remove them. I was wondering if anyone has cut these off to create more space and if so what is your experience?

I've had my Aeronaut for a few years now and considered the same thing early on. Glad I didn't though because I've begun using them since I do a lot more walking with it now (one bagging). Real shoulder saver and it may help it fly under the radar as a carryon. Last month I had it a little over max weight of 10 kilos but breezed right by the gate people who were size/weight checking carry-ons.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

The weight of the straps is negligible, you are better off leaving them on.

Sometimes the Tristar is offered as a carry over the rollaboard handle style, without backpack straps.

You could order one of those and sell the backpack strap one to fellow TB forum members.

What colors are your bags?

Volunteer Moderator
    The only time I saw something like this was on an Aeronaut for sale on eBay. The seller had cut off the straps just before they attached to the bag and it was for weight savings according to the listing. So, I have seen it done - but it reduced the resale value of the bag.

Cheers!
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Smart Alec (Black/Steel), Brain Bag (Back/Steel), Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) + PCBP & PCSB (400D Nordic), Tristar (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (400D Nordic), Checkpoint Flyer (Black/Indigo/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells (Black, 1, 2S, 4Z, 3), Vertical & Horizontal Freudian Slips, Camera I/O, TT (400D Nordic), Lead's Pocket (Black)

Why not just see if anyone will buy your bag(s), and you can re-buy them in the non-backpack strap version? That would likely only work for the Western Flyer, unless the TS comes in a non-backpack version. If the colour combo is rare/sought after and the bags are in good condition, you might not lose much on it at all.

Once you cut the straps off, there is no going back...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps
    Want: EVERYTHING.

My bags are black. I doubt I will be thinking of reselling - when the bags live their life then they are gone. Actually I am thinking more of space (rather than weight) as opens up the rear compartment to more options. I was not aware the tristar had a non-backpack straps version? As for the WF, at least when I bought mine, the non backstrap version did not have the rear pocket but a sleeve to allow attachment to a roll-on - that is no use to me as I do like that rear pocket for stuffing papers etc

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0