• 1 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By jmoz
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By dalupus

Thread: personal item for spirit air

Question personal item for spirit air

Spirit air has the following restriction on the free personal item:
    Personal item (e.g., purse, small backpack, etc.): Dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm) including handles and wheels.

The night flight duffle is 16" x 15" x 7" so although it will fit I lose a good amount of volume
    16x14x7 is a volume of ~ 1600
    where as
    16x14x12 is a volume of ~ 2700

Any recommendations on a bag to be able to use some more of that extra 1k in volume?
    Am considering just contracting out on etsy to have someone make a leather duffle to exactly conform to that size but would far prefer a Tom Bihn bag.

Any chance of a Tom Bihn Spirit Air Flyer bag?

On a side note is there a master chart somewhere of the sizes of all of the Tom Bihn bags?
    Last edited by dalupus; 07-28-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Have you considered any of the backpacks? The Brain Bag is 18x14x9, which I realize is a little bigger than the dimensions, but I'm unsure how strict Spirit is, but it's volume is 2200, but I imagine if you didn't stuff it completely, you should fit the restrictions.

And... I recall some charts, but no master one. I want to make one now.
    A45, LCB, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

Yeah I considered a backpack but hadn't looked at the brain bag. I'll have a look at that.

Spirit can be quite strict on the "free" personal item since you get hit with a $100 fee if it doesn't fit and you have to claim it as a carryon at the gate.
    Spirit Airlines - cheap tickets, cheap flights, discount airfare, cheap hotels, cheap car rentals, cheap travel

One of these days I'll go to Home depot and buy some wood to make my own sizer bins

An interesting concept would be for someone to make an adjustable fold up sizer bin that you can use while packing to make sure your bags fit.
    SusanM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by al85 View Post
    And... I recall some charts, but no master one. I want to make one now.
    I remember a thread back in the fall where someone asked for one, so I started one but never finished (busy). This reminded me about it, so I updated it with all of the newest bags.

The spreadsheet is in Excel format, and is fully sortable. I should probably break out the dimensions into individual cells for height/width/depth so you can really really sort it, but you know... lazy...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I wonder if you could clip another bag on top (Pilot?) and say it's a single bag. Dunno; I've avoided flying Spirit.
    eWalker likes this.

See @al85's link for dimension, etc:

Master Size Chart

Cheers!
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Can you pay to carry on a second item? Would that be cheaper than buying a custom bag? Guess it depends how often you fly Spirit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

+1 for al85's suggestion for a BB. When fully packed, it is definitely closer to 12" thick and you can just not fill or squish the top 2" to meet the 16" requirement.
    Also, if the Western Flyer is like the Tri-Star, fully packing it will defnitely make it 12" thick. You can probably squeeze the WF to be less long to meet the 16" criteria.
    I like @jmoz's idea of using 2 Pilots -you could just strap 2 Pilots back to back and noone would be the wiser.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-28-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Can you pay to carry on a second item? Would that be cheaper than buying a custom bag? Guess it depends how often you fly Spirit.
    I never used to fly spirit very often however have just moved to south florida and their hub is here in ft lauderdale so I will be using them a good bit since, if they fly where you need to go, they are very cheap. At $25 a pop(each way) for a carryon the bag would pay for itself quite quick.

The 2 pilots is interesting, but I might just opt for a brain bag. Appreciate all the input guys.

I think the BB will be the more versatile choice for future travel (like if you decide to fly on an airline other than Spirit or if you decide to go backpacking in the Alps) or just in general.
    A45, LCB, MCB, SE; CP: Black/Solar; P: Navy/Solar; SE: Black/Iberian, Solar/Solar; MCB: Linen/Navy, Steel/Cayenne

Am I crazy to think the Aeronaut 30 would work if you packed light? I'm contemplating buying it in dyneema just for this reason. (Otherwise, I'd order the steel/uv right this moment.) I optimistically think I could stuff it into a sizer if need be. I usually fly Delta, but it'd be nice to have the option to bring it on a Spirit flight without fees when the occasion arises.

Side note, I bought an S19 last year to take a crack at minimalist packing, but I find I don't use it much anymore While I prefer to carry a backpack, I like the duffel style bag better. Hence the potentially perfect marriage of the two in the A30.

I have been eyinng the A30 also. dyneema. yummy. wondering if I could carry it on my back full though. 30 L --- packing light. Love the idea.

I was thinking the same thing. If you packed the A30 and just left of the end pockets empty it should fit inside their box. If anyone with a packed A30 walking through an airport and passed a Spirit Gate could take a picture and let all of us know that would be great. I am on the fence about the A30 (has to do with sheer # of bags I have not the bag itself) and this would be a big plus in the pro column.

Well actually the A30 would end up with slightly less room than even the night flight duffle has.
    The NFD is 16x14x7 is a volume of ~ 1600
    The A30 is 19.7x12.6x7.9 but if you have to make it fit in the Spirit bin it would need to come down to 16x12.6x7.9 which is a volume of ~ 1592 which is essentially the same as what you got with the NFD.

Now as to using it with one of the ends not being filled, the end cube is 4.7 inches so should give you plenty of clearance if you don't use one but I'll be curious to see one in an actual bin.

Now if it were me I would simply pack the A30 like normal and take the end packing cube out when going to board if it looked like they were measuring people's bags.