Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: How does everyone access their phone when carrying a backpack?

Question How does everyone access their phone when carrying a backpack?

I'm thinking of making the switch, at least on some days, from using a shoulder bag such as the Side Effect or Little Swift—my two go-to bags—to a backpack; namely, the Daylight. But one thing I'm wondering about is how you quickly access a ringing phone when carrying it in a backpack. I'm sure the wise minds on this forum have come up with lots of innovative solutions: so could you share them?

Thanks,

Nancy
    Janine and eWalker like this.

another company makes a phone pocket that velcro straps to back pack straps in front that makes getting to phone easy. out of respect I did not name (company name ends with "2")
    moriond, ncb4 and tpnl like this.

what size is your phone?
    I normally carry mine in my pocket, but offhand what I can think of is to clip a small Yarn Stuff Sack to one of the o-rings and keep the phone in there. I'm assuming you don't wish to keep the phone in one of the shingled pockets or the front pocket where it might get mixed up with other stuff.

If your phone is tiny enough, a Pocket Pouch would be the most ideal actually...

hmmmmm......
    Sorry, may I make use of your thread for a wish?

I would like Pocket Pouches sized to fit phones, like the Brain Cells and Caches for laptops and tablets. Or perhaps any solutions for holding phones.

In addition, I only own an iPhone and a Nexus 5, could anyone else with a much larger phone like maybe the Samsung note chime in with how they carry their phones in their bags?

There's rumors flying all over that the new iPhones this year would be larger, coming in 4.7" and 5.5" models. Would this affect how phones are placed in our bags?

ETA: @meekasmom, very subtle :P that made me chuckle
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-27-2014 at 10:10 AM.

heh heh.

agree I would LOVE an iphone pocket. I have not solved the carrying case issue yet myself. I have been using a zippered padded pouch that is intended for GPS units so it's a bit bigger but carries the phone in its skin well. That one is made by company that does mainly camera bags and name rhymes with "Oh!" (unless you are German and know how it should really be pronounced, I think).
    ncb4 and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    I have been using a zippered padded pouch that is intended for GPS units so it's a bit bigger but carries the phone in its skin well. That one is made by company that does mainly camera bags and name rhymes with "Oh!" (unless you are German and know how it should really be pronounced, I think).
    Mountainschmidt? Domke-O? (sorry, I couldn't resist... it took me a moment to figure out which company you meant, which is silly because my camera backpack IS from that company!! LOL!)

another company makes a phone pocket that velcro straps to back pack straps in front that makes getting to phone easy. out of respect I did not name (company name ends with "2")
    I'm familiar with that company, @meekasmom; in fact, I have two of their phone pockets. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't fit securely in either one. Phones keep getting bigger! But thanks so much for the suggestion.
    eWalker likes this.

me too. my SLR's are safely tucked away in a L***pro backpack camera bag right now. but I really need to sell the whole kit. I haven't used the Nikon in years since DD talked me out of film and into digital. Photos are not as sharp, surely, but I don't have massive books of hard copy photos to deal with. Ah, change....

try one of TB's padded pouches that zippers shut if your phone is bigger than the iphone.
    eWalker likes this.

I must be dense, but I still haven't figured out the camera company whose bags end with an -Oh. "Oh" wait; I just Googled it and voilà. Now I get it!

I currently have an iPhone 4S, but I'm thinking about upgrading to the iPhone 6 when it comes out—and I've heard those rumors about it being larger, too. Even my current iPhone 4S is really too big to carry in my pocket, which I'm not inclined to do anyway: besides thinking it looks clunky [I'm of the female persuasion, and I guess I'm being a teensy bit vain here], I worry about the security of carrying a phone in a pocket. Unless it's a really tight fit, it can fall out—that's happened to me.

I'm kind of a klutz, so I am looking for something that will securely hold my phone, but in a place where I can access it quickly—without having to take off my backpack, unzip a zipper, reach inside, fumble around and find the pouch or sack or whatever I stowed the phone in, remove it, and then answer it—at which point the caller has given up and gone to voice mail. And for some callers I don't want to talk to, maybe that's not a bad thing!

I'm not sure such a phone case exists, actually. The case that attaches to a backpack strap with Velcro is the closest solution I've seen, but as I said, it's not big enough for my phone. Sigh. So back to the hunt!

That's what I like about shoulder bags. I typically put my phone in one of the upper clear zipped pockets of the Little Swift or Swift, and I've found that I can quickly access the phone there in order to answer it. And of course it's easy to retrieve the phone from a Side Effect.

I guess what we need is for Tom to use his brilliant mind to figure out a solution that no one else has thought of before!
    moriond likes this.

At first I tried to keep it in the side-front-pocket of a Synapse and do the under the shoulder and open this pocket while the backpack is till on that shoulder... thing (do you know what I mean?).
    But that does not work for me for some reasons:
    1. If I am in a crowded place it is easy to bump into people with the backpack while slinging it to the front.
    2. In that crowed it is not easy to hear the phone ringing
    3. If someone observes this move... he might think the phone is for easy grab.
    4. When I do not have a dedicated camera on me I use my phone for snapshots. It is no fun to pull the backpack under the arm for each picture I want to take.

This is how I solved my problem: I carry ether a 3D Organizer Cube all fabric or a Side Effect as a Cross Boddy with not much more in it than a Phone and my money (solves that problem too). I even sometimes use the Shoulder strap shortened as a waist-strap. I know this is a "two-bag-solution" but this way I have the essentials on me, even if I take the Backpack of for some reasons. The Parapack 3D Organizer Cubes make a very decent small shoulder-bag and (in my opinion) are not too much combined with a backpack.

Hope this helps,
    Ilkyway

I still have my film cameras and keep thinking I will eventually get back to taking some black-and-whites. I loooooove the look of b&w. (and used to geek out for hours over which paper was best - glossy, matte, high-contrast, portrait...)

It's true, with digital, one has fewer photo books, but this is also perhaps a drawback... I just realized recently that DD (firstborn, born before I switched to digital) has piles and piles of photo albums, while DS (four years younger) has maybe two photo books. (I've taken equal numbers of photos of both, but I don't print out photos nearly as often now!!)

I also recall the advice of a professional archivist that one should print out hard copies of the photos you really love, because digital is not a proven archival format. (That is, DVDs and CDs degrade, whereas we know that paper, if properly cared for, can last for centuries.)

me too. my SLR's are safely tucked away in a L***pro backpack camera bag right now. but I really need to sell the whole kit. I haven't used the Nikon in years since DD talked me out of film and into digital. Photos are not as sharp, surely, but I don't have massive books of hard copy photos to deal with. Ah, change....
    eWalker likes this.

Amy
    I have a huge Galaxy Note II, so carrying it in any pocket is out of the question. My solution when needing to be hands-free while having easy access to the phone is this:

- Side-effect worn cross-body. Phone goes in outer zippered pocket. Wallet, keys, and other purse essentials in main compartment of side effect.
    - Synapse 19 on my back. Does not contain anything I'll need to access while walking.

If I need to collapse down to 1 bag, I'll slide the side effect into the main compartment of the Synapse. Although I've found that the side effect can pretty much stay cross-body no matter what I'm doing, without really interfering, since it's so small and light. I don't even take it off when driving or sitting at a restaurant sometimes.

Amy I have the exact same phone and that is exactly what I do with it (I just sometimes find the SE too much and then switch to the 3D Organizer Cube). And to keep the SE or the 3D stable when I have to move around a lot (tree kids) I attach a small key-strap to on of the shoulder strap-attachmend-O-rings and a belt-loop of my jeans. (No fancy wardrobe when I am out and about with my kids, no sense in it...).

Ilkyway
    ncb4, eWalker and Amy like this.

ok, I am taking the guesswork out. hope the moderator isn't touchy but TB doesn't make this one (yet) and probably won't given aversion to velcro:

3way Accessory Case | Protective Smartphone & iPhone Case
    ncb4 and eWalker like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Nancy, I think @Ilkyway and @Amy's suggestion of using a 3D Organizer Cube or SE worn cross body will work best for you. I don't think you ever had the Buzz sling style backpack before you got your Synapse, but that bag had a pocket for carrying a cell phone or mp3 player on the front of the sling strap that went across your body. Since it was centrally placed, it was a convenient spot for a phone. There was also a securing flap, designed so that if you were carrying an iPod or other mo3 player, you could keep it in the pocket and run the cord from the player to earbuds or a headset. Unlike the case for backpack straps, the sling strap didn't have to make allowances for your handedness, or how far up (or down) the pocket location on a backpack strap was comfortable for anyone to reach. If there is a redesigned sling-style backpack, or maybe even in a cross-body knitting bag, perhaps that cell-phone pocket feature could be added.

@Ilkyway, I agree that it's too difficult to get a phone, especially a large one, out of the front side pockets of the Synapse in the same way you can retrieve other items as in GEOcycle's Synapse continues to surprise… thread. I do put my shop bags in that pocket (rolled, not folded) for easy retrieval without having to take off the bag, but I wouldn't access my phone there.

I'm slightly surprised there are not some techies describing their use of a paired Bluetooth headset in one ear, so that they don't physically have to access their phone to send and receive calls. Some possible choices: Jawbone Era, BlueAnt Q2 or Q3, Plantronics Voyager Pro -- all of which offer Voice activated/controlled use. (I will say that I found this annoying to use -- I simply don't spend that much time on the phone to make it worthwhile.)

HTH moriond

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast